|By Marketwired .||
|May 30, 2014 10:11 PM EDT||
VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA -- (Marketwired) -- 05/31/14 -- Med BioGene Inc. (TSX VENTURE:MBI) today reported its financial results for the three months ended March 31, 2014 (all amounts are in United States dollars).
First Quarter 2014 Financial Results
During the three months ended March 31, 2014, MBI recorded a net loss of $72,821 (2013 - $78,414), which consists of general and administrative expenses.
General and Administrative Expenses
General and administrative expenses consist of personnel costs, consulting and directors' fees, professional fees, public company costs and communications, facilities and office operations expenses.
General and administrative expenses were $72,821 for the three months ended March 31, 2014 compared to $78,414 for the three months ended March 31, 2013. The general and administrative expenses for the three months ended March 31, 2014 are comparable to the three months ended March 31, 2013 because during the past two years MBI has been focused on managing the license and rights to GeneFx® Lung granted to Precision Therapeutics, Inc.
Liquidity and Capital Resources
At March 31, 2014, MBI had cash and equivalents totalling $129,409 and working capital of $40,842 compared to cash and equivalents of $181,507 and a working capital of $112,624 at December 31, 2013.
Cash used in operating activities was $52,098 for the three months ended March 31, 2014 compared to $63,601 for the three months ended March 31, 2013.
Under MBI and Precision's commercialization agreement, MBI is eligible to receive from Precision up to $1.0 million in the following milestone payments, all of which are credited against future royalties that may be owed to MBI by Precision: following the commercial launch of GeneFx Lung, amounts totaling $500,000 and, following the achievement of $5 million in net revenues from GeneFx Lung, amounts totaling $500,000.
As a result of MBI's current cash position, management has decreased their compensation to provide an extended runway to the anticipated commercialization of GeneFx Lung and receipt from Precision of the $500,000 milestone payment noted above.
About Med BioGene Inc.
MBI is a life science company based in Vancouver, British Columbia that is currently focused on managing the license and rights to GeneFx Lung. MBI's common shares are listed for trading on the TSX Venture Exchange. For more information, please visit www.medbiogene.com.
About GeneFx Lung
GeneFx Lung is a proprietary gene expression-based test to improve upon staging for identifying those patients with early-stage non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) who, following surgical removal of their tumor, are at higher and lower risks of mortality. In an initial study of patient specimens from the National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group JBR.10 trial, published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, patients classified by GeneFx Lung as high risk benefited from adjuvant chemotherapy, and those classified as low risk did not benefit and may have experienced a detrimental effect from adjuvant chemotherapy. In the same study, GeneFx Lung was validated in predicting patient mortality in four independent studies involving data from tumor specimens totaling 375 untreated early-stage NSCLC patients. As published in the Journal of Thoracic Oncology, GeneFx Lung was also independently validated in a prospective and blinded manner in predicting patient mortality in a study of 181 specimens from untreated NSCLC patients. GeneFx Lung is expected to provide better-informed and personalized treatment decisions to assist in the selection of patients for adjuvant chemotherapy.
On April 15, 2011, Precision and MBI closed their commercialization, license and research reimbursement agreement. The agreement provides to Precision exclusive global rights to develop and commercialize GeneFx Lung.
About Precision Therapeutics
Precision Therapeutics, a leading life science company based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is dedicated to improving the outcomes of cancer patients by providing personalized medicine solutions that aim to increase quality of life and cancer survival rates. Precision offers a portfolio of products developed to help guide physicians and patients with difficult clinical decisions throughout the continuum of cancer care.
Precision currently markets a number of tests through its CLIA-certified laboratory, including ChemoFx®, BioSpeciFx® and GeneFx® Colon.
For more information on Precision, please visit www.precisiontherapeutics.com.
The TSX Venture Exchange does not accept responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.
Certain information in this press release contains forward-looking information and statements ("forward-looking information") of MBI under applicable Canadian and United States legislation. Words such as "anticipates," "believes," "estimates," "expects," "intends," "may," "plans," "projects," "will," "would" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking information, although not all forward-looking information contains these identifying words. Forward looking information includes, but is not limited to, that with respect to the timing, completion and/or results of clinical trials or studies, the timing for commercialization of any products, future profits, future product revenues, future shareholder value, future operations and plans, the completion and use of proceeds from transactions or financings and the prospects for negotiating partnerships or collaborations and their timing. This forward-looking information is only a prediction based upon MBI's current expectations, and actual events or results may differ materially. MBI may not actually achieve the plans, intentions or expectations disclosed in its forward-looking information. Forward-looking information is subject to known and unknown risks and uncertainties and is based upon uncertain assumptions that could cause MBI's actual results and the timing of events to differ materially from those anticipated in such forward-looking information. You are cautioned not to place undue reliance on this forward-looking information, which speak only as of the date of this press release. MBI's forward-looking information does not reflect the potential impact of any future partnerships, collaborations, acquisitions, mergers, dispositions, joint ventures or investments that MBI may make. All forward-looking information herein is qualified in its entirety by this cautionary statement and MBI undertakes no obligation to revise or update any such forward-looking information as a result of new information, future events or otherwise after the date of this press release, other than as required by applicable law. Certain information included in this press release in respect of Precision and its scientific, clinical and/ or commercialization efforts and expectations have been provided to MBI by Precision. MBI may not have been able to confirm the accuracy of such information and you should not place undue reliance on any such information, including any information regarding Precision that may constitute forward-looking information. A redacted copy of the commercialization agreement between MBI and Precision may be found at www.sedar.com. Each trademark, trade name or service mark of any entity appearing in this press release belongs to its holder.
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Big Data Expo 2014 Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- Jim Miller at ImageWare Systems, George Romas at HP, Jody Ross at AMAG, + March Networks and StrikeForce Featured in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- Setting the Bar for Agile Architecture
- The Agile PMO
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of June 1, 2014
- Cloudera Strengthens Hadoop Security with Acquisition of Gazzang: Builds on additional community efforts to deliver end-to-end security offering
- Ukraine Has Potential in Midst of Chaos
- Three Things You Must Know About the End of Support of Windows Server 2003
- .CLUB Domain Name Extension Now Available for General Registration
- AMAG, HP, ImageWare Systems, March Networks and StrikeForce Discuss Security Solutions in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Learn How You Can Easily Extend Your Infrastructure with Microsoft Azure
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Flexiant Acquires Besol’s Tapp Multi-Cloud Management Technology and Business
- Big Data, Cloud and Mobile - Converging Technology Trends
- Ten Answers Regarding Mobile App Testing
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- Windows Least Privilege Management and Beyond
- Google Maps and ASP.NET
- Converting VB6 to VB.NET, Part I
- How to Write High-Performance C# Code
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Crystal Reports XI & How It Has Changed
- Creating Controls for.NET Compact Framework in Visual Studio 2005
- Programmatically Posting Data to ASP .NET Web Applications
- Implementing Tab Navigation with ASP.NET 2.0
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- i-Technology Viewpoint: "SOA Sucks"
- .NET Archives: Getting Reacquainted with the Father of C#