|By JCN Newswire||
|April 18, 2014 03:44 AM EDT||
Tokyo, Apr 18, 2014 - (JCN Newswire) - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the PlayStation4 (PS4) computer entertainment system has cumulatively sold through more than 7.0 million units(1) globally as of April 6, 2014 (JST), demonstrating the rapid growth of the PS4 platform.
"The response from the global gaming community for PS4 has been overwhelming and we are truly humbled that gamers are selecting PS4 as their next generation console of choice," said Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "The PS4 journey has just begun, and although we are still facing difficulties keeping up with the strong demand worldwide, we remain steadfast in our commitment to meet the needs of our customers, and surpassing the wildest expectations of gamers by delivering new user experiences that inspire and engage. We look forward to unveiling many of these experiences to our fans in the coming months."
PS4 software sales also remain strong with more than 20.5 million(2) copies sold in retail stores worldwide and through digital downloads on PlayStation Store as of April 13, 2014 (JST). PS4 owners will be immersed in a broad portfolio of breakthrough games, across all genres, with approximately 120 titles(3) available or coming in 2014. The PS4 system's games portfolio will continue to expand with highly anticipated titles such as Destiny (Activision), The Elder Scrolls Online (Bethesda), Alien: Isolation (SEGA), NBA 2K15 (2K), Watch_Dogs (Ubisoft Entertainment), #DRIVECLUB (SCE WWS), MLB 14: The Show (SCE WWS) and The Order 1886 (SCE WWS). The independent development community continues to deliver innovative new titles for PS4. Upcoming games for 2014 include N++ (Metanet Software), GALAK-Z: The Dimensional (17 Bit Games), Transistor (Supergiant Games), Secret Ponchos (Switchblade Monkeys Entertainment), The Witness (Thekla, Inc.), Octodad: Dadliest Catch (Young Horses) and Daylight (Zombie Studios).
The integrated social capabilities of PS4 continue to be wildly popular with gamers. More than 135 million shares(4) have been captured via the "SHARE" button on the Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK(4)). Broadcasting via video streaming platforms Twitch and Ustream continues its explosive growth with more than 4.9 million gameplay broadcasts(5) and nearly 90 million spectate sessions(6). PS4 owners are also utilizing broadcasting features only possible on PlayStation. Interactive streaming, which allows spectators to join sessions or interact with broadcasted games and affect gameplay by increasing or reducing obstacles and challenges, is exclusively available in popular titles out now including DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition (TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD) and Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition (SCE WWS).
The PS4 system is currently available in 72 countries and regions(7) worldwide.
(1) Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI. PS4 sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 -4 /6/2014. PS4 sales data in North America collected 11/15/2013 - 4/5/2014, in Europe and Latin America collected 11/29/2013 - 4/5/2014, and in Asia collected 11/29/2013 -4/6/2014.
(2) Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI. PS4 sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 -4 /13/2014. PS4 sales data in North America collected 11/15/2013 - 4/12/2014, in Europe and Latin America collected 11/29/2013 - 4/12/2014, and in Asia collected 11/29/2013 -4/6/2014.
(3) Number of titles based on information available as of 3/31/14. For more information, please visit http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/26/ps4-games-in-2014-the-ultimate...
(4) Data as of 3/31/2014.
(5) Data as of 3/31/2014.
(6) Data as of 3/31/2014.
(7) As of 3/31/2014.
Sony Corporation is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and online businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $72 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2013. Sony Global Web Site: http://www.sony.net/.
Sony Corporation Corporate Communications T: +81-3-6748-2200 E: [email protected]
Copyright 2014 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. www.japancorp.net
- Mainstream Business Applications and In-Memory Databases
- Findly Enhances Recruiting Efficiency With New Single Sign-on Portal
- Ukraine Has Potential in Midst of Chaos
- “Entisys 02” Finishes in Top 20 at the 2014 NASCAR K&N Pro Series West Race at the Sonoma Raceway
- Complete Surface Pro 3 Review - 3 days later
- Flexera Software Increases Commitment to Europe with Germany-based Datacenter to Host FlexNet Manager Suite Cloud for European Customers
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Android and the Open Automotive Alliance Shift into the Next Gear
- June 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- Research and Markets: Global Industrial Control Systems (ICS) Security Market 2014-2018 with Cisco, Fortinet, General Dynamics, Juniper Networks, McAfee, Raytheon & Symantec Dominating
- MongoDB World in NY City this week
- Book Review: Learning Mobile App Development
- Grabbing the Supply Chain Bull by the Horns
- Mainstream Business Applications and In-Memory Databases
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Big Data, Cloud and Mobile - Converging Technology Trends
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Big Data Expo 2014 Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- Jim Miller at ImageWare Systems, George Romas at HP, Jody Ross at AMAG, + March Networks and StrikeForce Featured in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- Microsoft SharePoint at a Crossroads – Opportunities & Challenges Abound
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Linux Foundation's Core Infrastructure Initiative Announces New Backers, First Projects to Receive Support and Advisory Board Members
- Google Maps and ASP.NET
- Converting VB6 to VB.NET, Part I
- How to Write High-Performance C# Code
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Crystal Reports XI & How It Has Changed
- Creating Controls for.NET Compact Framework in Visual Studio 2005
- Programmatically Posting Data to ASP .NET Web Applications
- Implementing Tab Navigation with ASP.NET 2.0
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- i-Technology Viewpoint: "SOA Sucks"
- .NET Archives: Getting Reacquainted with the Father of C#