|By Marketwired .||
|April 2, 2014 09:56 AM EDT||
SANTA BARBARA, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 04/02/14 -- RightScale® Inc., a demonstrated leader in enterprise cloud portfolio management, today announced the results of its 2014 State of the Cloud Survey. The survey found that cloud adoption is reaching ubiquity as enterprises increase both public and private cloud adoption, but enterprise governance is lagging. In addition, the survey found as enterprise cloud maturity progresses, cloud security concerns abate and attention increasingly shifts to managing ongoing challenges of compliance, cost management, and performance. The survey also identified significant interest in infrastructure-as-a-service offerings from Microsoft and Google, and a looming face-off between VMware and OpenStack in the private cloud market.
The full results of the survey are available in the RightScale 2014 State of the Cloud Report at www.rightscale.com/2014-cloud-report.
"Enterprises are adopting cloud computing in record numbers and have leveraged growing experience to overcome many of the early challenges including security," said Michael Crandell, founder and CEO of RightScale. "Large enterprises are complex and understandably deliberate in cloud adoption, yet with increased adoption they continue to unlock more value."
More Cloud Adoption Unlocks More Cloud Value
As it did in 2013, RightScale evaluated responses with a Cloud Maturity Model in order to segment and analyze companies based on their level of cloud adoption.
- Cloud Watchers are organizations that are developing cloud strategies and plans but have not yet deployed applications into the cloud.
- Cloud Beginners are new to cloud computing and are working on proof-of-concepts or initial cloud projects.
- Cloud Explorers have multiple projects or applications already deployed in the cloud.
- Cloud Focused businesses are heavily using cloud infrastructure.
The 2014 survey echoes a key finding of the 2013 State of the Cloud Report: cloud maturity matters. As organizations adopt cloud more broadly, they realize increasingly more value, and the challenges of adopting cloud decline.
- Cloud reaching ubiquity: In the 2014 survey, 94 percent of organizations surveyed are running applications or experimenting with infrastructure-as-a-service. 87 percent of organizations are using public cloud.
- Enterprise adoption matures: Enterprises with more than 1,000 employees have moved beyond the Cloud Watcher stage. In 2014, only 16 percent of respondents were in this early phase, down from 32 percent in 2013.
- Workloads broaden: As organizations progress in cloud maturity, the types of workloads they deploy in the cloud broaden. Test and development applications top the list, with more than 85 percent of cloud-focused companies deploying them in the cloud. Customer web apps (78 percent), internal web apps (70 percent), batch processing (62 percent), and mobile apps (54 percent) also are deployed in the cloud by a majority of Cloud Focused organizations. Only social apps saw significantly fewer cloud deployments in 2014 at 18 percent (down from 23 percent in 2013).
- Cloud benefits grow in 2014: The number of respondents reporting benefits from cloud computing grew in 2014 over the previous year in a variety of categories, including higher availability (48 percent, up from 41 percent in 2013), geographic reach (37 percent, up from 32 percent in 2013), cost savings (34 percent, up from 30 percent in 2013), and business continuity (34 percent, up from 28 percent in 2013).
- Overcoming security with experience: While the benefits of the cloud increase with experience, the challenges of cloud show a sharp decrease as organizations gain expertise with cloud. Security remains the most-often cited challenge among Cloud Watchers (31 percent) but decreases to the fifth most cited (13 percent) among Cloud Focused organizations. As organizations become more experienced in cloud security options and best practices, the less of a concern cloud security becomes. For Cloud Focused respondents, issues that require ongoing attention -- compliance, cost and performance -- are most often cited as challenges.
Next-Generation, Cloud-Based IT Includes Hybrid, DevOps and Self-Service IT
The RightScale 2014 survey found enterprises often have varying combinations of public, private, and hybrid cloud infrastructure, with hybrid and multi-cloud implementations as the end goal for most enterprises. At the same time, two other significant trends are taking hold in corporate technology offices: DevOps and Self-Service IT. Together, these three initiatives -- Cloud, DevOps, and Self-Service IT -- are shaping up as the critical pillars of next-generation IT.
- Hybrid cloud is the approach of choice : 74 percent of enterprise respondents have a multi-cloud strategy, and 48 percent are planning for hybrid clouds. In addition, 15 percent of enterprises expect to use multiple public clouds, and 11 percent are planning for multiple private clouds.
- Enterprises progress on hybrid initiatives: Among the 74 percent of enterprises that have a multi-cloud strategy, more than half of those are already using both public and private cloud.
- Next-generation IT shapes up as Cloud + DevOps + Self-Service IT: Cloud Focused companies are also embracing DevOps (71 percent) and Self-Service IT (68 percent). More than 70 percent of mature cloud users are able to provide self-service access to provision resources in the cloud in under an hour.
Addressing the Challenges Ahead
Although enterprises are progressing in cloud adoption, many have yet to define key elements of their cloud strategy and governance. Less than a third of organizations have defined such critical aspects of governance as which clouds can be used, disaster recovery approaches, and cost management.
- Defining business value: Just over half of enterprises have defined the business value they want to get from cloud initiatives and security policies for cloud.
- Defining policies: Only a minority of organizations has defined policies for choosing public or private clouds (36 percent), implementing availability or disaster recovery (32 percent), and managing costs (29 percent).
- Competing view points of cloud within the enterprise: In addition to current gaps in cloud governance, there are differing views between central IT and technical teams in business units about the role IT plays in the cloud. While central IT envisions a broad role for itself in selecting clouds, setting policies, building a private cloud, and brokering cloud services; respondents in business units see the role of IT as much narrower.
Growing Competition among Cloud Providers
Amazon Web Services (AWS) continues to dominate public cloud adoption, while other vendors and options are quickly gaining interest from cloud users.
- Public cloud space heating up: AWS adoption is 54 percent - 4x the nearest competitor. IaaS offerings from Google and Microsoft are gaining the interest of cloud users, with Azure leading among enterprises and Google Cloud Platform among small and midsize organizations. Rackspace Public Cloud is second within the SMB segment.
- Private cloud: The battle among private cloud technologies is shaping up as a clash of cultures between the open-source OpenStack and proprietary solutions from VMware. While 31 percent of enterprise respondents view their VMware vSphere/vCenter environments as a private cloud, OpenStack is well-positioned to unseat VMware in private cloud -- coming in first in interest and second in current usage. Microsoft System Center is waiting in the wings with a strong third position among enterprise users.
RightScale conducted its annual State of the Cloud Survey in February 2014. The survey questioned technical professionals across a broad cross-section of organizations about their adoption of cloud computing. The 1,068 respondents range from technical executives to managers and practitioners and represent organizations of varying sizes across many industries. Respondents represent companies across the cloud spectrum, including both users (28 percent) and non-users (72 percent) of RightScale solutions. Their answers provide a comprehensive perspective on the state of the cloud today.
RightScale® Inc. Cloud Portfolio Management enables leading enterprises to accelerate delivery of cloud-based applications that engage customers and drive top-line revenue while optimizing cloud usage to reduce risk and costs. With RightScale, IT organizations can deliver instant access to a portfolio of public, private, and hybrid cloud services across business units and development teams while maintaining enterprise control. RightScale offers RightScale Cloud Analytics to help bring clarity to organizations on current cloud costs and help model and optimize for future cloud use. RightScale CloudSight consulting helps companies develop cloud strategies, deliver cloud projects, and optimize cloud usage. Since 2007, leading enterprises including Pearson International, Intercontinental Hotels Group, and PBS have launched millions of servers through RightScale.
RightScale is a registered trademark of RightScale, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. Other product or company names mentioned may be trademarks or trade names of their respective companies.
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus o...
Jan. 18, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 4,177
Big Data engines are powering a lot of service businesses right now. Data is collected from users from wearable technologies, web behaviors, purchase behavior as well as several arbitrary data points we’d never think of. The demand for faster and bigger engines to crunch and serve up the data to services is growing exponentially. You see a LOT of correlation between “Cloud” and “Big Data” but on Big Data and “Hybrid,” where hybrid hosting is the sanest approach to the Big Data Infrastructure pro...
Jan. 18, 2017 05:30 PM EST Reads: 4,858
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Jan. 18, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 4,558
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Jan. 18, 2017 04:30 PM EST Reads: 4,742
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 18, 2017 03:30 PM EST Reads: 3,677
"LinearHub provides smart video conferencing, which is the Roundee service, and we archive all the video conferences and we also provide the transcript," stated Sunghyuk Kim, CEO of LinearHub, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 18, 2017 02:45 PM EST Reads: 1,587
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Jan. 18, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 391
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 18, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 5,098
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 18, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 5,599
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 18, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 1,534
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 18, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 4,228
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and E...
Jan. 18, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 5,758
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Jan. 18, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,945
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 18, 2017 10:30 AM EST Reads: 3,106
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 18, 2017 09:45 AM EST Reads: 11,556
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Jan. 18, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 5,981
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 18, 2017 07:45 AM EST Reads: 4,636
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 18, 2017 06:45 AM EST Reads: 2,769
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, introduced the technologies required for implementing these idea...
Jan. 18, 2017 06:30 AM EST Reads: 4,638
Every successful software product evolves from an idea to an enterprise system. Notably, the same way is passed by the product owner's company. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Oleg Lola, CEO of MobiDev, will provide a generalized overview of the evolution of a software product, the product owner, the needs that arise at various stages of this process, and the value brought by a software development partner to the product owner as a response to these needs.
Jan. 18, 2017 06:30 AM EST Reads: 1,188