|By Kevin Nikkhoo||
|March 28, 2014 11:00 AM EDT||
Of all the strategies and tactics available to prevent breaches, deter data leakage and theft, control access and secure beyond the so-called network perimeter, the one that is emerging as an achievable and affordable best practice is that of unified security from the cloud.
But if you look across the web, you will no doubt come across various versions of what constitutes “unified,” what is “protected,” and, what is “security from the cloud?” Luckily this means that the concept of unified security from the cloud is becoming more and more of a best practice. In general, the practice of unified security is the centralization of all security functions under one umbrella across the enterprise. This means more than ensuring data encryption. It means more than access policies. It means more than intrusion detection, malware blocking, data review. It’s more than ensuring compliance to the various regulatory bodies that provide general guidelines. It is the sum of all these things… and more.
So what is unified security? In short, it is an enterprise-powered tactical strategy that not only centralizes various security toolsets, but creates the seamless means to create cooperative functionality between them all. And as a cloud-based security initiative, this creates several tangible benefits that will allow any-sized company to upgrade their protection, but expand their protection beyond the network-centric traditional models of perimeter security.
To properly expand visibility, unified security is typically comprised of several solutions including system log archiving (the collection and storage of all online activity), identity management (administration of users, passwords and applications), access management (enforcement of identity rules and channeled access to data) and SIEM (the intelligence that correlates and contextualizes all activity).
True unified security is also more than the solutions it comprises; it includes the analysis, management, and the implementation of access and intelligence policies that transform it from passive to proactive and immediately responsive. And by developing and managing these security features, solutions and policies from the cloud is more than the obvious cost savings, it allows for the exponential expansion of real time visibility over a broader landscape and facilitates a more secure transaction compatibility with the way modern enterprises exchange, process and share information.
To that end, the following are 10 benefits of implementing unified security from the cloud.
10. Right size as the situation dictates – In today’s business landscape, change is often fast and evolutionary. Being able to keep up is a major challenge for IT and IT security. One of the hallmarks of a cloud-based implementation is the flexibility and agility to adjust its scope quickly and without the oppressive costs and time of a consultant or IT service. Considering the hoops of fire and Herculean strength needed to expand coverage to a new department or division, on-premise security initiatives may require the purchase of new expensive servers, resource-heavy reconfiguration and re-prioritization of core competency projects. With the cloud’s natural economies of scale, these costs are already absorbed and changes are more fluid and immediate. And with unified security, it’s more than just applying a sensor or agent on a server to collect new data. The changes to right size affect more than a single solution, —you must consider the constant fluctuation of change within an enterprise-the ebb and flow of staffing, the adjustment of new, updated and retired applications, and all the moving parts that come with incorporating vendors, suppliers and customers into the permission and protection mix. Unified security from the cloud creates the freedom and necessary speed to evolve with a company’s changing situation on an as-needed basis without an Act of Congress while still ensuring the adjustments across all the entire security landscape.
9. Make compliance easier: One of the substantial drains of time and energy go into the process of proving to various regulatory bodies that various slices of data are free from prying keyboards. Some companies go so far as dedicating personnel to simply comb through logs and find and report upon instances of breach and questionable activities. As I’ve insisted many times before, this practice is akin to looking for the horse in a gigantic haystack long after its left the barn (no matter how often sys-logs are reviewed, it is done in a rear-view mirror. These are events that have already occurred. And the damage is already done).
When evaluating what organizations like PCI and HIPAA require, the scope is more than just continuous monitoring (see blog regarding continuous monitoring satisfies compliance, but not security). They require proof of compliance for everything from firewall configuration to vulnerability scans, from data storage protocols to the development of identity authentication, password management and access privileges. I've identified about 20 common critical controls that are typically required by all compliance agencies. Unified security consolidates all the capabilities so that the reporting is considerably more streamline and accessible. Instead of four or five solutions each requiring four or five reports, logins and the physical coordination, collection and review for reporting, compliance is achieved by an automated model (see the white paper Mapping Compliance Requirements). It is the multiple collaborative and concurrent layers of security that support the automations, create better accuracy and significantly reduce the time previously dedicated to compliance reporting.
8. Easier, faster to deploy and find ROI. Forrester noted that 73% of major software implementations don’t get past phase 1. Whether a result of scope creep, budget issues or flagging executive buy-in, the promise of ROI for on premise security initiatives are difficult; not to mention the drag on IT productivity and lack of measurable results. And it’s those results we depend on to drive ROI and solve the business need (see the article: Is your security initiative “one inch into a mile”? ) It’s no secret that way too many companies view security solutions as a “nice to have” luxury or a grudgingly purchased cost center. But this is a different business environment than even that of 5 years ago; beyond the drivers of compliance and industry required governance IT security must be built into the fabric of every online facet of the business. Ignore reality at your own peril.
Assuming that security investments are not simply a luxury, the question remains how do you find ROI in a prevention initiative? On-premise point solutions are expensive. There’s no getting around that fact. Installing them is expensive. Configuring them is expensive. Maintaining them is expensive. In fact, Gartner estimates the annual cost to own and manage traditional on-premise security software applications can be 4X the initial purchase. Each and every move is a significant bite out of the any potential ROI gain in productivity. It might be more than 3 years before the investment starts paying off in any tangible way. Now the cloud, especially the unified security configuration, removes all of the waiting time. As a multi-tenant deployment, there is no hardware to buy, no software to install. Your complex, planned multi-phased, multi-year rollout can be fused a single week (sometimes “installation-to-insight” in minutes). Therefore the cloud version is providing the immediate benefits and immediate returns. Moreover, unified cloud security removes the complexity in configuration, installation and deployment because it is already built and easily customized to fit any sized organization.
We’ll deal with cost later on, but in terms of ROI, because there are no capital expenditures and the ability to keep investment minimized and output maximized means you can realign resources based on immediate business needs. The ROI is the elimination of negative impact—no compliance fines, no trust-busting breaches while waiting for the system to be fully functional, reduced risks and liabilities may decrease various insurance costs, no employees slipping away unnoticed with a database of your customers, no having to put out malware fires, no excessive time management conflicts from multi-sourced coordination, no de-centralized shadow IT, etc..
7. Better safeguard against BYOD: It may be the buzzword of the moment, but it is a trend that will continue to proliferate. Employees are increasingly using their own potentially-unsanctioned devices (smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices) to access your network, applications and data. (Read the blog “The Genie, the bottle and BYOD). Users love the mobility and the immediacy of these devices, but forget these devices are just hand-held computers prone to the same intrusions, attacks, viruses and risks as the computers used in the office. The larger problem is many users don’t see that, so every time they sign on to your network or download an app, it creates a wider and wider vulnerability gap for the enterprise network. However, by implementing unified security (that includes access control and identity management), you can minimize what an employee (or supplier, partner or any other group) can see and what tools they can access. Additionally unified security policies can create an alert every time one of these unsanctioned devices tries to access the enterprise. Based on your protocols and administrative policies, the system can grant access or block for these mobile devices. It is one way in which identity management, access management; log management and SIEM work seamlessly together and prevent unwarranted access or careless usage issues.
6. Security-as-a-service offers continuous tribal knowledge (expertise) without adding headcount. One of the constant impediments to shrinking the vulnerability gap is recruiting and retaining the specific type of talent necessary to maintain an enterprise-level security initiative. But The MSPAlliance reports that the unemployment rate for such professionals is less than 1%--and the salary for these specialists has doubled in the past three years. Security-as-a-service is the “secret” value-add that accompanies a cloud-based deployment. Having an expert that understands more than what a denial of service/brute force attack looks like can be invaluable; one that knows how to read in between the lines; that understands context and can trigger an alert or dismiss a possible threat as harmless—and to do it without any additional personnel costs to a company is a huge benefit.
We will be continuing this list next week with our entries of 5 through our number one benefit. However, in case you can’t wait, here’s a preview...
5. Control applications and who gets to use them
4. Know what’s happening faster, more completely
3. Real time actionable information
2. One single, centralized management component
1. More protection, less cost
Can call centers hang up the phones for good? Intuitive Solutions did. WebRTC enabled this contact center provider to eliminate antiquated telephony and desktop phone infrastructure with a pure web-based solution, allowing them to expand beyond brick-and-mortar confines to a home-based agent model. It also ensured scalability and better service for customers, including MUY! Companies, one of the country's largest franchise restaurant companies with 232 Pizza Hut locations. This is one example of WebRTC adoption today, but the potential is limitless when powered by IoT.
Apr. 21, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,045
GENBAND introduced its Real Time Communications (RTC) Client for Lync* to seamlessly combine real-time communications with Lync Instant Messaging (IM) and Presence. “We’re shaking up the economics of delivering Unified Communications (UC) and offering a compelling way to integrate previously bespoke communications technologies,” said Carl Baptiste, GENBAND’s Senior Vice President, Enterprise Solutions. “We’re offering enterprises the best of both worlds by combining our own high availability voice, video and collaboration with Lync’s IM and Presence; creating a single, web centric, client. O...
Apr. 21, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,246
SYS-CON Events announced today that GENBAND, a leading developer of real time communications software solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The GENBAND team will be on hand to demonstrate their newest product, Kandy. Kandy is a communications Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) that enables companies to seamlessly integrate more human communications into their Web and mobile applications - creating more engaging experiences for their customers and boosting collaboration and productiv...
Apr. 21, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,378
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 9-11, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place November 3–5, 2015 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from ...
Apr. 21, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,526
SYS-CON Events announced today that BroadSoft, the leading global provider of Unified Communications and Collaboration (UCC) services to operators worldwide, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BroadSoft is the leading provider of software and services that enable mobile, fixed-line and cable service providers to offer Unified Communications over their Internet Protocol networks. The Company’s core communications platform enables the delivery of a range of enterprise and consumer calling...
Apr. 21, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,280
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cisco, the worldwide leader in IT that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cisco makes amazing things happen by connecting the unconnected. Cisco has shaped the future of the Internet by becoming the worldwide leader in transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Cisco and our partners are building the platform for the Internet of Everything by connecting the...
Apr. 21, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 5,696
SYS-CON Events announced today that Liaison Technologies, a leading provider of data management and integration cloud services and solutions, has been named "Silver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Liaison Technologies is a recognized market leader in providing cloud-enabled data integration and data management solutions to break down complex information barriers, enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions, faster.
Apr. 21, 2015 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,772
Recent technology advances in miniaturization has positioned the wearables as the pinnacle of technology convergence with the human body. We inquire if wearables are mere standard miniaturized devices extended with the connectivity and present our views on considerations like design, applications, performance, efficiency, interoperability, usage scenarios, human device interaction and consequent trade-offs enabling wearables to impart optimal value.
Apr. 21, 2015 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 300
Participants will reach the final if their IoT solution is liked. A community vote will determine the best solutions submitted in each country, after which an expert jury will select the national winners and the best international IoT solution. Each country's best solution can win a national marketing campaign worth up to €30,000 and become a partner in Deutsche Telekom's participating markets. The winning international solution can become partner of Deutsche Telekom Group across all eight countries and reach out to a potential of 10,8 million business customers. Deutsche Telekom Group has a...
Apr. 21, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 899
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, phone and digital TV services to consumers primarily in rural areas.
Apr. 21, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,970
In this session we look at creating interactive communications via the web by adding messaging, file transfer, and group communication (group chat and audio/video conferencing) into the web experience. We will also discuss potential applications of this technology in areas including B2B, B2C, P2P, and gaming. Peter is Technical Director at Acision. He graduated from The University of Edinburgh in 2000 with a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science. After graduation Peter worked on a PSTN switch developing signalling stacks for SS7, ISDN and similar protocols and creating advanced routing and serv...
Apr. 21, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 271
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool f...
Apr. 21, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,568
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dyn, the worldwide leader in Internet Performance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dyn is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Through a world-class network and unrivaled, objective intelligence into Internet conditions, Dyn ensures traffic gets delivered faster, safer, and more reliably than ever.
Apr. 21, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,398
SYS-CON Events announced today that Open Data Centers (ODC), a carrier-neutral colocation provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Open Data Centers is a carrier-neutral data center operator in New Jersey and New York City offering alternative connectivity options for carriers, service providers and enterprise customers.
Apr. 21, 2015 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,661
SYS-CON Events announced today that On the Avenue Marketing Group, a sales and marketing firm that utilizes events to market and sell products to consumers, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. On the Avenue Marketing Group (OTA) is a sales and marketing firm that utilizes events to market and sell products to consumers. On behalf of our clients, we attend thousands of fairs, festivals, expos, concerts, conferences, and sporting events annually, helping them reach millions of individuals ...
Apr. 21, 2015 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,258
SYS-CON Events announced today that ActiveState, the leading independent Cloud Foundry and Docker-based PaaS provider, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. ActiveState believes that enterprises gain a competitive advantage when they are able to quickly create, deploy and efficiently manage software solutions that immediately create business value, but they face many challenges that prevent them from doing so. The Company is uniquely positioned to help address these challenges thro...
Apr. 21, 2015 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,964
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes for use cases across the industrial, enterprise, and consumer segments.
Apr. 21, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,520
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® and DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo® and DevOps Summit 2015 Silicon Valley, which will take place November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 21, 2015 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,864
From telemedicine to smart cars, digital homes and industrial monitoring, the explosive growth of IoT has created exciting new business opportunities for real time calls and messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ivelin Ivanov, CEO and Co-Founder of Telestax, shared some of the new revenue sources that IoT created for Restcomm – the open source telephony platform from Telestax. Ivelin Ivanov is a technology entrepreneur who founded Mobicents, an Open Source VoIP Platform, to help create, deploy, and manage applications integrating voice, video and data. He is the co-founder of TeleStax, a...
Apr. 21, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,793
SYS-CON Events announced today that Akana, formerly SOA Software, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Akana’s comprehensive suite of API Management, API Security, Integrated SOA Governance, and Cloud Integration solutions helps businesses accelerate digital transformation by securely extending their reach across multiple channels – mobile, cloud and Internet of Things. Akana enables enterprises to share data as APIs, connect and integrate applications, drive part...
Apr. 21, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,904