|By PR Newswire||
|March 12, 2014 05:00 AM EDT||
BARCELONA, Spain, March 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Microsoft Corp. on Wednesday opened its annual Microsoft in Education Global Forum by emphasizing the importance of student privacy and reaffirming its commitment to helping ensure that student data is never mined for advertising and marketing purposes. The opening keynote speech, which took place in front of an audience of 1,100, including innovative educators, school leaders and government officials from nearly 100 countries, also saw Microsoft highlight its end-to-end, best-in-class solutions with student success and career and college readiness at the forefront.
"Privacy concerns are holding educators back from making the most of modern technology and preparing students to succeed in today's workplace. At the same time, many solutions being used in the classroom are unintentionally putting student data at risk," said Anthony Salcito, vice president, Worldwide Education, Microsoft. "The private sector has a responsibility to give educators the tools and resources that inspire real learning and have a real impact, while ensuring privacy isn't a barrier to bringing new and innovative technologies into the classroom. This is why Microsoft is committed to taking every measure it can to ensure student information remains safe around the world. We will not, under any circumstance, mine students' data."
Microsoft technology is used in 98 percent of schools worldwide. The company's end-to-end education solutions take the risk out of deploying the latest technologies and solve educators' most pressing challenges across the following key areas:
- Productivity and creativity. Microsoft Office 365 Education, an enterprise-quality communication and collaboration tool available in the cloud, is currently used by 110 million students, faculty and staff. This always-on cloud service guarantees that student data will never be mined for advertising. Student Advantage, available for free through qualifying institutions, includes the entire Office suite and more than 4 million students are already getting Office 365 Professional Plus from their schools since it was launched in December 2013. Microsoft Office has also proved valuable to students; a recent IDC study found Microsoft Office proficiency is among the top 20 skills required for high-growth/high-salary occupations.
- Safer, more private search. Bing for Schools ensures students don't see search ads when using Bing and also enhances their privacy by preventing the use of data to create ad profiles — all with no compromise on the exceptional search experience delivered. No other major search engine can make the same promise.
- Management. Windows Intune is a cloud service that allows school IT administrators to manage Windows, Windows Phone, Android and iOS devices connected to their network over the Web, eliminating the need to own each device or to use onsite servers.
- Professional development. Microsoft offers resources to train teachers on new technology, including the Partners in Learning Network that reaches nearly 1 million educators worldwide and includes online professional development, how-to tutorials, and learning activities created by teachers for teachers.
- Technology training. The Microsoft IT Academy provides industry-leading technology skills to more than 8.5 million teachers and students in 130 countries to help bridge the technology skills gap. In addition, Microsoft has helped educators around the world successfully incorporate technology into the classroom to enhance the learning experience for their students through programs such as Teaching With Technology.
- Device choice. Microsoft works with its original equipment manufacturer (OEM) partners to bring better choice and quality and more affordable devices powered by Microsoft software and services to market for educators and students around the world.
- YouthSpark Initiative. Microsoft's focus on privacy in education is part of its overall commitment to empowering youth through opportunities for education, employment and entrepreneurship.
"We've chosen Microsoft because the company provides an end-to-end solution that meets all our needs — innovative and secured devices, best-in-class productivity, and collaboration apps and comprehensive management capabilities. In addition, the company provides the training and resources our educators need to ensure that our technology investments are successful," said Clayton Carnes, school leader, Hermit Park State School in Australia. "Microsoft's unwavering commitment to student privacy is also extremely important to us because we can rest assured that our students' data isn't being mined for advertising and marketing purposes. This commitment really sets Microsoft apart in the market."
Other news announced today included the following:
- Pearson and Microsoft are joining together to create new applications and advance a digital education model that prepares students to thrive in an increasingly personalized learning environment. One of the first collaborations in the U.S. between the two global companies will combine Pearson's Common Core system of courses with the groundbreaking capabilities of the Windows 8 touchscreen environment.
- Interactive education technology company Promethean World plc has committed to developing innovative Windows 8 apps and Office 365 integration for its platform ClassFlow, a cloud-based, classroom tool that enables teachers to create lesson plans, connect and deliver interactive content across multiple devices, and assess student understanding.
- BrainPOP has released its third Windows 8 app, BrainPOP ESL. BrainPOP ESL is a comprehensive English language learning program that uses engaging animated movies to model conversational English.
- In support of its long-term goal to make all systematic knowledge immediately computable and accessible to everyone, Wolfram|Alpha will deliver 22 Windows 8 apps for tablets, including the Wolfram|Alpha App,16 Course Assistant Apps, and 5 Reference Apps.
- Knewton Inc. and Microsoft announced a global alliance to promote adaptive learning and support Microsoft's partner and publisher ecosystem in personalizing content for students.
- A global partnership with CK-12 Foundation supports the development of innovative Windows 8 apps to provide students and teachers with access to a rich library of K–12 STEM content at no cost.
Now in its 10th year, the Microsoft in Education Global Forum brings together more than 1,100 of the most innovative and committed educators, school leaders and government officials from around the world — including more than 250 Expert Educators and 75 Mentor School leaders. Each year, the Global Forum provides an opportunity for education's best and brightest to learn from their peers, share classroom triumphs and challenges, and collaborate to help transform education for the 21st century.
Microsoft's focus on privacy in education is part of the YouthSpark initiative, our global commitment to empowering youth through opportunities for education, employment and entrepreneurship. In its first year alone, YouthSpark created new opportunities for more than 103 million young people in over 100 countries around the world.
The Microsoft in Education Global Forum is supported by Platinum- and Gold-level sponsors Pearson, Promethean, Dell Inc., Intel Corporation, Acer and the School Improvement Network.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
SOURCE Microsoft Corp.
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,583
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,316
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,186
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 24, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,430
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 24, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,641
SYS-CON Events announced today the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp, being held November 1-2, 2016, in conjunction with 19th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but with hands-on demos and detailed walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of real world use cases prototyped using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark, and Intel Edison. Y...
Sep. 24, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,769
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 24, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,463
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 24, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,498
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 24, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,019
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 24, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,671
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,478
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 742
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Sep. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 753
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 24, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,023
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Sep. 24, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,718
IoT is fundamentally transforming the auto industry, turning the vehicle into a hub for connected services, including safety, infotainment and usage-based insurance. Auto manufacturers – and businesses across all verticals – have built an entire ecosystem around the Connected Car, creating new customer touch points and revenue streams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Macario Namie, Head of IoT Strategy at Cisco Jasper, will share real-world examples of how IoT transforms the car from a static p...
Sep. 24, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,470
Big Data has been changing the world. IoT fuels the further transformation recently. How are Big Data and IoT related? In his session at @BigDataExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will explore the interplay of Big Data and IoT. He will anatomize Big Data and IoT separately in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. He will then analyze the relationship between IoT and Big Data, specifically the drilldown of how the 4Vs of Big Data (Volume, Variety,...
Sep. 24, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 904
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,520
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, will discuss how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 758
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Sep. 24, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,470