|By PR Newswire||
|February 10, 2014 05:30 AM EST||
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Feb. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
- DataDirect Networks (DDN) today announced tremendous momentum exiting fiscal year 2013, with 2nd half revenue growth driven by rapidly expanding market demand for high performance block, file and object storage.
- A leader in high performance computing (HPC) market for 15 years, DDN provides storage designed to meet the scale and performance demands of data intensive environments. 2013 marked a transitional year where many markets accelerated adoption of HPC and storage products to meet their analytics, vertical application and data accessibility needs.
- While demand for DDN storage continues to increase in HPC, DDN is also seeing increased adoption in the highly data intensive market segments of cloud storage, life sciences, research, government, manufacturing, internet and telecommunications. Highlights for the year included:
Strong Business, Market and Customer Momentum
- DDN delivered breakthrough business results for the fiscal year ending Dec. 31, 2013, increasing bookings volume by 31 percent sequentially in 2H:13, while adding 122 net new customers over the year to a roster of the world's leading computing sites. This brings the total number of DDN customers to more than 1,100 and over 500PB of total storage capacity sold to date.
- This momentum illustrates the rapid acceleration in demand for the DDN product line in a broad set of commercial and industrial markets, where according to leading industry analyst firms, increased HPC spending is occurring. Despite the challenging macroeconomic conditions in 1H:13, DDN delivered solid performance to close out the year, positioning the company well for growth in 2014.
- Across all markets, notable new and expanded customer relationships during the year included BP, Life Technologies, Los Alamos National Laboratories, Suzuki and University of Bonn. These companies are adopting DDN technology to achieve significant competitive advantage by unlocking new opportunities to monetize their data, such as for scientific discovery, financial trading accuracy or improved seismic activity prediction, among other use cases.
- Company momentum was also driven by growth in adoption of DDN WOS® object storage for large scale web application adoption and for organizations with the need to address three primary use cases: cloud storage, content distribution and Hadoop archival.
Unmatched Technology Innovation in Big Data and Cloud Storage
- Over the course of 2013, DDN introduced a number of advances to its technology portfolio, building on the company's leadership in addressing end users' big data and cloud storage requirements, including massive scale out object storage, extreme performance, Hadoop-based analytics, and file system and workflow acceleration. These innovations included:
- Hadoop and Big Data Storage: Analytics Platform – Launched in February 2013, the first Big Data appliance for the enterprise dramatically simplifies Apache Hadoop deployment, delivering up to seven times better analytics performance as compared to commodity clusters.
- Object Storage: WOS Technology – Introduced in September 2013, WOS 3.0 and WOS 7000 appliance are leading the cloud revolution, delivering trillion-file scalability and 200x performance increases over previous generations. With multiple customer installs now at over 10PB and DDN's largest WOS install at 70-80 billion objects, DDN continues to achieve significant marquee brand wins.
- Block Storage: SFA12KXTM Appliance Series – Featuring the most advanced processor technology and a hyper-optimized operating system to deliver extreme performance at up to 48GB/s and 1.4 Million IOPS from a single appliance, the leading performance storage platform, the SFA12KX, was launched in November 2013.
- Burst Buffer Cache: Infinite Memory EngineTM (IME) – Previewed at Supercomputing '13 in November, IME technology, the industry's first distributed buffer cache system designed to accelerate parallel file systems, extracts the best performance efficiency across the I/O hierarchy, increasing system reliability multifold, while reducing exascale I/O TCO by millions of dollars.
- Independent recognition for the company's technology leadership in 2013 included:
- Gartner – In March, DDN was positioned in the Challengers quadrant in Gartner's 2013 report, 'Magic Quadrant for General Purpose Disk Arrays'
- IDC – In November, as a result of an expanding customer base and the breadth of capabilities in WOS technology, DDN was named a leader in the 2013 IDC 'MarketScape: Worldwide Object-Based Storage'
- HPCwire – In November, DDN was awarded an unprecedented six awards for the annual 2013 HPCwire Readers' and Editors' Choice Awards, maintaining its position as the most recognized storage company in HPCwire award history with 19 lifetime wins.
Strategic Technology Partnerships
- DDN's go-to-market mix evolved over the course of the year, with expansion of its global partner program and strong adoption with 100+ VARs worldwide.
- Additionally, key new technology, distribution and industry partnerships were established in 2013 in support of DDN's object storage momentum including Hyve Solutions, CommVault, ASG Atempo, Ctera, IRODS, and PogoPlug.
Alex Bouzari, CEO, DDN
- "In summary, with momentum across all our business and technology lines, we saw strength exiting 2013, particularly in our commercial business. Now looking into 2014, our product roadmap is more targeted than ever as we remain laser focused on signing customers with webscale applications aligned with our HPC product line and WOS offerings. DDN is building momentum as more enterprise customers hit the NAS-wall; we're winning business away from competition who simply cannot compete on our levels of scale, performance and TCO; and, we're setting the stage for increased adoption of our cloud and object storage technology among the world's leading service provider and data center networks, positioning DDN for competitive differentiation and long-term growth."
- More on DDN Object Storage
- More on DDN Big Data Platforms
- More on DDN Infinite Memory Engine Technology
- More on DDN Customers
- More on DDN PartnerLink Program
- Follow DDN via Blog and Twitter
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is the world leader in massively scalable storage. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver business results from their information. Our customers include the world's leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN's solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world's most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today's information powered enterprise. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
©2014 All rights reserved. DDN, WOS, SFA12KX and Infinite Memory Engine are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
DDN Media Contact:
Sr. Director, Global Corporate Communications
Email: [email protected]
SOURCE DDN (DataDirect Networks)
We heard for many years how developing nations would be able to develop mobile-phone networks quickly, perhaps even leapfrog developed nations, because their lack of traditional, wired networks would not inhibit them from deploying the new technology. Now there is talk of history repeating itself with the Industrial Internet--a key aspect of the emerging Internet of Things. For example, Guo Ping, Deputy Chairman of the Board of Chinese electronics giant Huawei, said in a recent report from the World Economic Forum, "The Industrial Internet will afford emerging markets a unique opportunity ...
May. 5, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 688
Avnet, Inc. has announced that it ranked No. 4 on the InformationWeek Elite 100 – a list of the top business technology innovators in the U.S. Avnet was recognized for the development of an innovative cloud-based training system that serves as the foundation for Avnet Academy – the company’s education and training organization focused on technical training around top IT vendor technologies. The development of this system allowed Avnet to quickly expand its IT-related training capabilities around the world, while creating a new service that Avnet and its IT solution providers can offer to their...
May. 5, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 930
Ayla Networks, whose agile Internet of Things (IoT) platform makes it easy for manufacturers to deliver secure, connected products, today announced it has been included in the list of "Cool Vendors" in the Internet of Things report by Gartner, Inc. “Gartner knows how important it is that manufacturers of all kinds of products have the right IoT solution to help turn their products into connected ‘things,’” said David Friedman, CEO and co-founder of Ayla Networks. “The market for Ayla’s IoT platform has accelerated dramatically this year compared to last year. Today’s largest manufacturers ar...
May. 5, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 493
SYS-CON Events announced today that B2Cloud, a provider of enterprise resource planning software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. B2cloud develops the software you need. They have the ideal tools to help you work with your clients. B2Cloud’s main solutions include AGIS – ERP, CLOHC, AGIS – Invoice, and IZUM
May. 5, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,485
The Internet of Things Maturity Model (IoTMM) is a qualitative method to gauge the growth and increasing impact of IoT capabilities in an IT environment from both a business and technology perspective. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan will first scan the IoT landscape and investigate the major challenges and barriers. The key areas of consideration are identified to get started with IoT journey. He will then pinpoint the need of a tool for effective IoT adoption and implementation, which leads to IoTMM in which five maturity levels are defined: Advanced, Dynamic, Optimized, Primitive,...
May. 5, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,162
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and easy to use. MangoApps has been named a "Market Leader" by Ovum Research and a "Cool Vendor" by Gartner...
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,402
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on Twitter at @MicroservicesE
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,943
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch of Docker's initial release in March of 2013, interest was revved up several notches. Then late last...
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,933
There is no doubt that Big Data is here and getting bigger every day. Building a Big Data infrastructure today is no easy task. There are an enormous number of choices for database engines and technologies. To make things even more challenging, requirements are getting more sophisticated, and the standard paradigm of supporting historical analytics queries is often just one facet of what is needed. As Big Data growth continues, organizations are demanding real-time access to data, allowing immediate and actionable interpretation of events as they happen. Another aspect concerns how to deliver ...
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,804
So I guess we’ve officially entered a new era of lean and mean. I say this with the announcement of Ubuntu Snappy Core, “designed for lightweight cloud container hosts running Docker and for smart devices,” according to Canonical. “Snappy Ubuntu Core is the smallest Ubuntu available, designed for security and efficiency in devices or on the cloud.” This first version of Snappy Ubuntu Core features secure app containment and Docker 1.6 (1.5 in main release), is available on public clouds, and for ARM and x86 devices on several IoT boards. It’s a Trend! This announcement comes just as...
May. 5, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,253
WebRTC defines no default signaling protocol, causing fragmentation between WebRTC silos. SIP and XMPP provide possibilities, but come with considerable complexity and are not designed for use in a web environment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Matthew Hodgson, technical co-founder of the Matrix.org, discussed how Matrix is a new non-profit Open Source Project that defines both a new HTTP-based standard for VoIP & IM signaling and provides reference implementations.
May. 5, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,413
The security devil is always in the details of the attack: the ones you've endured, the ones you prepare yourself to fend off, and the ones that, you fear, will catch you completely unaware and defenseless. The Internet of Things (IoT) is nothing if not an endless proliferation of details. It's the vision of a world in which continuous Internet connectivity and addressability is embedded into a growing range of human artifacts, into the natural world, and even into our smartphones, appliances, and physical persons. In the IoT vision, every new "thing" - sensor, actuator, data source, data con...
May. 5, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 5,432
The WebRTC Summit 2015 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
May. 5, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,180
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover how hardware commoditization, the ubiquitous nature of connectivity, and the emergence of Big Data a...
May. 5, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,595
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark and Intel Edison. You will also get an overview of cloud technologies s...
May. 5, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,952
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
May. 5, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,459
Scott Jenson leads a project called The Physical Web within the Chrome team at Google. Project members are working to take the scalability and openness of the web and use it to talk to the exponentially exploding range of smart devices. Nearly every company today working on the IoT comes up with the same basic solution: use my server and you'll be fine. But if we really believe there will be trillions of these devices, that just can't scale. We need a system that is open a scalable and by using the URL as a basic building block, we open this up and get the same resilience that the web enjoys.
May. 5, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,961
In his session at WebRTC Summit, Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, will look at creating interactive communications via the web by adding messaging, file transfer, and group communication (group chat and audio/video conferencing) into the web experience. He will also discuss potential applications of this technology in areas including B2B, B2C, P2P, and gaming. Peter Dunkley is Technical Director at Acision. He graduated from The University of Edinburgh in 2000 with a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science. After graduation Peter worked on a PSTN switch developing signalling stacks for SS...
May. 5, 2015 09:39 AM EDT Reads: 524
It's time to put the "Thing" back in IoT. Whether it’s drones, robots, self-driving cars, ... There are multiple incredible examples of the power of IoT nowadays that are shadowed by announcements of yet another twist on statistics, databases, .... Sorry, I meant, Big Data(TM), tiered storage(TM), complex systems(TM), smart nations(TM), .... In his session at WebRTC Summit, Dr Alex Gouaillard, CTO and Co-Founder of Temasys, will discuss the concrete, cool, examples of IoT already happening today, and how mixing all those different sources of visual and audio input can make your life happier ...
May. 5, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 657
What exactly is a cognitive application? In her session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ashley Hathaway, Product Manager at IBM Watson, will look at the services being offered by the IBM Watson Developer Cloud and what that means for developers and Big Data. She'll explore how IBM Watson and its partnerships will continue to grow and help define what it means to be a cognitive service, as well as take a look at the offerings on Bluemix. She will also check out how Watson and the Alchemy API team up to offer disruptive APIs to developers.
May. 5, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,239