|By PR Newswire||
|February 10, 2014 05:30 AM EST||
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Feb. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
- DataDirect Networks (DDN) today announced tremendous momentum exiting fiscal year 2013, with 2nd half revenue growth driven by rapidly expanding market demand for high performance block, file and object storage.
- A leader in high performance computing (HPC) market for 15 years, DDN provides storage designed to meet the scale and performance demands of data intensive environments. 2013 marked a transitional year where many markets accelerated adoption of HPC and storage products to meet their analytics, vertical application and data accessibility needs.
- While demand for DDN storage continues to increase in HPC, DDN is also seeing increased adoption in the highly data intensive market segments of cloud storage, life sciences, research, government, manufacturing, internet and telecommunications. Highlights for the year included:
Strong Business, Market and Customer Momentum
- DDN delivered breakthrough business results for the fiscal year ending Dec. 31, 2013, increasing bookings volume by 31 percent sequentially in 2H:13, while adding 122 net new customers over the year to a roster of the world's leading computing sites. This brings the total number of DDN customers to more than 1,100 and over 500PB of total storage capacity sold to date.
- This momentum illustrates the rapid acceleration in demand for the DDN product line in a broad set of commercial and industrial markets, where according to leading industry analyst firms, increased HPC spending is occurring. Despite the challenging macroeconomic conditions in 1H:13, DDN delivered solid performance to close out the year, positioning the company well for growth in 2014.
- Across all markets, notable new and expanded customer relationships during the year included BP, Life Technologies, Los Alamos National Laboratories, Suzuki and University of Bonn. These companies are adopting DDN technology to achieve significant competitive advantage by unlocking new opportunities to monetize their data, such as for scientific discovery, financial trading accuracy or improved seismic activity prediction, among other use cases.
- Company momentum was also driven by growth in adoption of DDN WOS® object storage for large scale web application adoption and for organizations with the need to address three primary use cases: cloud storage, content distribution and Hadoop archival.
Unmatched Technology Innovation in Big Data and Cloud Storage
- Over the course of 2013, DDN introduced a number of advances to its technology portfolio, building on the company's leadership in addressing end users' big data and cloud storage requirements, including massive scale out object storage, extreme performance, Hadoop-based analytics, and file system and workflow acceleration. These innovations included:
- Hadoop and Big Data Storage: Analytics Platform – Launched in February 2013, the first Big Data appliance for the enterprise dramatically simplifies Apache Hadoop deployment, delivering up to seven times better analytics performance as compared to commodity clusters.
- Object Storage: WOS Technology – Introduced in September 2013, WOS 3.0 and WOS 7000 appliance are leading the cloud revolution, delivering trillion-file scalability and 200x performance increases over previous generations. With multiple customer installs now at over 10PB and DDN's largest WOS install at 70-80 billion objects, DDN continues to achieve significant marquee brand wins.
- Block Storage: SFA12KXTM Appliance Series – Featuring the most advanced processor technology and a hyper-optimized operating system to deliver extreme performance at up to 48GB/s and 1.4 Million IOPS from a single appliance, the leading performance storage platform, the SFA12KX, was launched in November 2013.
- Burst Buffer Cache: Infinite Memory EngineTM (IME) – Previewed at Supercomputing '13 in November, IME technology, the industry's first distributed buffer cache system designed to accelerate parallel file systems, extracts the best performance efficiency across the I/O hierarchy, increasing system reliability multifold, while reducing exascale I/O TCO by millions of dollars.
- Independent recognition for the company's technology leadership in 2013 included:
- Gartner – In March, DDN was positioned in the Challengers quadrant in Gartner's 2013 report, 'Magic Quadrant for General Purpose Disk Arrays'
- IDC – In November, as a result of an expanding customer base and the breadth of capabilities in WOS technology, DDN was named a leader in the 2013 IDC 'MarketScape: Worldwide Object-Based Storage'
- HPCwire – In November, DDN was awarded an unprecedented six awards for the annual 2013 HPCwire Readers' and Editors' Choice Awards, maintaining its position as the most recognized storage company in HPCwire award history with 19 lifetime wins.
Strategic Technology Partnerships
- DDN's go-to-market mix evolved over the course of the year, with expansion of its global partner program and strong adoption with 100+ VARs worldwide.
- Additionally, key new technology, distribution and industry partnerships were established in 2013 in support of DDN's object storage momentum including Hyve Solutions, CommVault, ASG Atempo, Ctera, IRODS, and PogoPlug.
Alex Bouzari, CEO, DDN
- "In summary, with momentum across all our business and technology lines, we saw strength exiting 2013, particularly in our commercial business. Now looking into 2014, our product roadmap is more targeted than ever as we remain laser focused on signing customers with webscale applications aligned with our HPC product line and WOS offerings. DDN is building momentum as more enterprise customers hit the NAS-wall; we're winning business away from competition who simply cannot compete on our levels of scale, performance and TCO; and, we're setting the stage for increased adoption of our cloud and object storage technology among the world's leading service provider and data center networks, positioning DDN for competitive differentiation and long-term growth."
- More on DDN Object Storage
- More on DDN Big Data Platforms
- More on DDN Infinite Memory Engine Technology
- More on DDN Customers
- More on DDN PartnerLink Program
- Follow DDN via Blog and Twitter
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is the world leader in massively scalable storage. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver business results from their information. Our customers include the world's leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN's solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world's most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today's information powered enterprise. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
©2014 All rights reserved. DDN, WOS, SFA12KX and Infinite Memory Engine are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
DDN Media Contact:
Sr. Director, Global Corporate Communications
Email: [email protected]
SOURCE DDN (DataDirect Networks)
For IoT to grow as quickly as analyst firms’ project, a lot is going to fall on developers to quickly bring applications to market. But the lack of a standard development platform threatens to slow growth and make application development more time consuming and costly, much like we’ve seen in the mobile space. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Weiner, Product Manager of the Omega DevCloud with KORE Telematics Inc., discussed the evolving requirements for developers as IoT matures and conducted a live demonstration of how quickly application development can happen when the need to comply wit...
Jul. 29, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 229
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Architect for the Internet of Things and Intelligent Systems, described how to revolutionize your archit...
Jul. 28, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,372
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society-changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jason Mondanaro, Director, Product Management at Metanga, discussed how you can plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the world and it starts with business models and monetization strategies.
Jul. 28, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,752
The Internet of Everything (IoE) brings together people, process, data and things to make networked connections more relevant and valuable than ever before – transforming information into knowledge and knowledge into wisdom. IoE creates new capabilities, richer experiences, and unprecedented opportunities to improve business and government operations, decision making and mission support capabilities.
Jul. 28, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 219
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of profound change in the industry.
Jul. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,247
Discussions about cloud computing are evolving into discussions about enterprise IT in general. As enterprises increasingly migrate toward their own unique clouds, new issues such as the use of containers and microservices emerge to keep things interesting. In this Power Panel at 16th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the state of cloud computing today, and what enterprise IT professionals need to know about how the latest topics and trends affect their organization.
Jul. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,157
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Jul. 28, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 410
Converging digital disruptions is creating a major sea change - Cisco calls this the Internet of Everything (IoE). IoE is the network connection of People, Process, Data and Things, fueled by Cloud, Mobile, Social, Analytics and Security, and it represents a $19Trillion value-at-stake over the next 10 years. In her keynote at @ThingsExpo, Manjula Talreja, VP of Cisco Consulting Services, discussed IoE and the enormous opportunities it provides to public and private firms alike. She will share what businesses must do to thrive in the IoE economy, citing examples from several industry sectors.
Jul. 28, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,029
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Opening Keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, Sandy Carter, IBM General Manager Cloud Ecosystem and Developers, and a Social Business Evangelist, d...
Jul. 27, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,038
There will be 150 billion connected devices by 2020. New digital businesses have already disrupted value chains across every industry. APIs are at the center of the digital business. You need to understand what assets you have that can be exposed digitally, what their digital value chain is, and how to create an effective business model around that value chain to compete in this economy. No enterprise can be complacent and not engage in the digital economy. Learn how to be the disruptor and not the disruptee.
Jul. 27, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,019
Akana has released Envision, an enhanced API analytics platform that helps enterprises mine critical insights across their digital eco-systems, understand their customers and partners and offer value-added personalized services. “In today’s digital economy, data-driven insights are proving to be a key differentiator for businesses. Understanding the data that is being tunneled through their APIs and how it can be used to optimize their business and operations is of paramount importance,” said Alistair Farquharson, CTO of Akana.
Jul. 27, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 309
Business as usual for IT is evolving into a "Make or Buy" decision on a service-by-service conversation with input from the LOBs. How does your organization move forward with cloud? In his general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Paul Maravei, Regional Sales Manager, Hybrid Cloud and Managed Services at Cisco, discusses how Cisco and its partners offer a market-leading portfolio and ecosystem of cloud infrastructure and application services that allow you to uniquely and securely combine cloud business applications and services across multiple cloud delivery models.
Jul. 27, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,891
The enterprise market will drive IoT device adoption over the next five years. In his session at @ThingsExpo, John Greenough, an analyst at BI Intelligence, division of Business Insider, analyzed how companies will adopt IoT products and the associated cost of adopting those products. John Greenough is the lead analyst covering the Internet of Things for BI Intelligence- Business Insider’s paid research service. Numerous IoT companies have cited his analysis of the IoT. Prior to joining BI Intelligence, he worked analyzing bank technology for Corporate Insight and The Clearing House Payment...
Jul. 26, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,558
In his keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, Rodney Rogers, CEO of Virtustream, discussed the evolution of the company from inception to its recent acquisition by EMC – including personal insights, lessons learned (and some WTF moments) along the way. Learn how Virtustream’s unique approach of combining the economics and elasticity of the consumer cloud model with proper performance, application automation and security into a platform became a breakout success with enterprise customers and a natural fit for the EMC Federation.
Jul. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,140
"Optimal Design is a technology integration and product development firm that specializes in connecting devices to the cloud," stated Joe Wascow, Co-Founder & CMO of Optimal Design, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 25, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 379
SYS-CON Events announced today that CommVault has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unp...
Jul. 25, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,943
Electric Cloud and Arynga have announced a product integration partnership that will bring Continuous Delivery solutions to the automotive Internet-of-Things (IoT) market. The joint solution will help automotive manufacturers, OEMs and system integrators adopt DevOps automation and Continuous Delivery practices that reduce software build and release cycle times within the complex and specific parameters of embedded and IoT software systems.
Jul. 25, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 442
"ciqada is a combined platform of hardware modules and server products that lets people take their existing devices or new devices and lets them be accessible over the Internet for their users," noted Geoff Engelstein of ciqada, a division of Mars International, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 25, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,521
Internet of Things is moving from being a hype to a reality. Experts estimate that internet connected cars will grow to 152 million, while over 100 million internet connected wireless light bulbs and lamps will be operational by 2020. These and many other intriguing statistics highlight the importance of Internet powered devices and how market penetration is going to multiply many times over in the next few years.
Jul. 25, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,480
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dyn, the worldwide leader in Internet Performance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Dyn is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Through a world-class network and unrivaled, objective intelligence into Internet conditions, Dyn ensures traffic gets delivered faster, safer, and more reliably than ever.
Jul. 24, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,044