|By PR Newswire||
|February 13, 2013 08:01 AM EST||
ZUG, SWITZERLAND, Feb. 13, 2013 /CNW/ - Katanga Mining Limited (TSX: KAT) ("Katanga" or the "Company") today announces its financial results for the 2012 fiscal year end. Katanga's Financial Statements and Management's Discussion and Analysis will be filed under its profile on SEDAR at, www.sedar.com.
Highlights during the year ended December 31, 2012
As announced previously by Katanga:
- On March 29, 2012, the Company announced that it concluded agreements to secure the development of power supply ("Power Project") for its copper and cobalt mine complex in the Democratic Republic of Congo ("DRC") sufficient to take production to 310,000 tonnes per annum by 2015 as the Updated Phase 4 Expansion Project of Katanga's mineral project ("Updated Phase 4 Expansion Project") is implemented.
- On December 13, 2012, the Company announced the satisfaction of the conditions precedent to draw down from its previously announced $515.5 million senior secured facility between among others, a Company subsidiary, as borrower, the Company and other subsidiaries as guarantors, and the Glencore plc Group, as the lender.
- On December 20, 2012, the Company announced the successful production of the first copper cathodes from the newly commissioned facilities as part of the Updated Phase 4 Expansion Project. The new facilities include the first Solvent Extraction ("SX") train with an annual capacity of 100,000 tonnes of copper and the first 144 Electro-Winning ("EW") cells with an annual capacity of 40,000 tonnes of copper. In addition, the Company announced that the new convertor, as part of the World Bank power project, and the new synchronous condenser, as part of the refurbishment of the DRC's power systems, were commissioned and in use as of December 17, 2012. This equipment helps to increase and stabilise power capacity in the region. With the installed convertor and synchronous condenser, the DRC electricity provider, La Société Nationale d'Electricité ("SNEL") is in a position to increase electricity transmission from the Inga power plant, therefore improving the reliability of supply to the Company's operations.
As previously announced:
- During 2012, the Company mined 5,544,701 tonnes of ore (a 22% increase over 2011) at a grade of 4.12% resulting in contained copper in ore mined of 228,606 tonnes.
- Ore mined and hoisted at KTO Underground Mine during 2012 was a record 1,838,616 tonnes, a 14% increase over 2011. The average copper grade of ore mined from KTO Underground Mine during 2012 was 3.60%.
- Ore mined at KOV Open Pit during 2012 was a record 3,706,085 tonnes, a 47% increase over 2011. The average copper grade of ore mined from KOV Open Pit during 2012 was 4.38%.
- The Kamoto East Pit was dewatered with 6.6 million cubic metres of water having been removed. The Kamoto East Pit dewatering allows for more efficient and cost effective waste management and the potential development of the Kamoto East mineral resource using underground mining methods.
As previously announced:
- Ore milled at the Kamoto Concentrator ("KTC") during 2012 was a production record of 4,612,328 tonnes, an increase of 13% compared to 2011.
- Notwithstanding the power availability issues detailed below, copper produced in metal and concentrate for 2012 totalled a production record of 92,963 tonnes, an increase of 2% compared to 2011.
- Cobalt produced totalled 2,129 tonnes for 2012, a decrease of 13% compared to 2011.
- Copper and cobalt production continued to be adversely affected by recurrent general power disruptions in the DRC. During 2012, approximately 1,609 production hours were lost across the operation due to power disruptions, of which 421 hours were lost in Q4 2012. This amounts to approximately 67 days of lost production and includes the time from the power disruption until equipment is operating at pre-power disruption capacity. The lost production time excludes the adverse impact on equipment availability due to the unplanned shut downs and subsequent start ups of the equipment due to the power disruptions. With the commissioning in mid-December 2012 of the World Bank convertor and the Power Project synchronous condenser, power disruptions have decreased. In the medium to long term, improvements in infrastructure as a result of the Power Project are expected to improve the reliability and stability of electricity supplies generally.
Selected Financial Results
- Total sales for 2012 were $600.5 million, a 5% increase over 2011.
- The sales value of oxide concentrate available to be shipped but not invoiced as at December 31, 2012, amounted to approximately $144.3 million and the sales value of copper nodules available to be shipped as at December 31, 2012, amounted to approximately $24.5 million. Of the 16,455 tonnes of copper nodules available for export as at September 30, 2012, only 443 tonnes were still on site, and 4,237 tonnes were in transit as at December 31, 2012.
- For the year ended on December 31, 2012, the Company earned a net income attributable to shareholders of $44.1 million (2011 - $130.8 million).
- Cash and cash equivalents as at December 31, 2012, amounted to $57.0 million (2011 - $57.1 million).
As previously announced:
- Mechanical completion of the Updated Phase 4 Expansion is expected in the third quarter of 2013 which will enable Katanga to both increase total processing capacity as well as upgrade the quality of copper produced through the application of modern technologies.
- The first phase of the feasibility study for the potential T17 underground mine is expected to be completed during the second quarter of 2013. This will potentially allow for the exploitation of additional T17 mineral resources below the bottom of the current open pit using underground mining techniques.
About Katanga Mining Limited
Katanga Mining Limited operates a major mine complex in the Democratic Republic of Congo producing refined copper and cobalt. The Company has the potential to become Africa's largest copper producer and the world's largest cobalt producer. Katanga is listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol KAT.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including, but not limited to, the increase in copper and cobalt production levels, and the anticipated decrease in power disruption relating to the upgrade in power infrastructure, the mechanical completion of the Updated Phase 4 Expansion, the completion of the upgrade in power infrastructure, the commencement of mining at the extension to the T17 Open Pit and the completion of the feasibility study for the potential T17 underground mine. Often, but not always, forward-looking statements can be identified by the use of words such as "plans", "expects" or "does not expect", "is expected", "budget", "scheduled", "estimates", "forecasts", "intends", "anticipates" or "does not anticipate", or "believes", or describes a "goal", or variation of such words and phrases or state that certain actions, events or results "may", "could", "would", "might" or "will" be taken, occur or be achieved.
Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, future events, conditions, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual results, performance or achievements to be materially different from any future results, prediction, projection, forecast, performance or achievements expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements. Such factors include, among others, the actual results of current exploration activities; actual results and interpretation of current reclamation activities; conclusions of economic evaluations; changes in project parameters as plans continue to be refined; future prices of copper and cobalt; possible variations in ore grade or recovery rates; failure of plant, equipment or processes to operate as anticipated; accidents, labour disputes and other risks of the mining industry; delays in obtaining governmental approvals or financing or in the completion of exploration, development or construction activities, as well as those factors disclosed in the Company's current annual information form and other publicly filed documents. Although Katanga has attempted to identify important factors that could cause actual actions, events or results to differ materially from those described in forward-looking statements, there may be other factors that cause actions, events or results not to be as anticipated, estimated or intended. There can be no assurance that forward-looking statements will prove to be accurate, as actual results and future events could differ materially from those anticipated in such statements. Accordingly, readers should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements.
The Company disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise, except in accordance with applicable securities laws.
This press release and the information forming the basis hereof was prepared under the supervision of Tim Henderson, Technical Consultant, Katanga and a 'Qualified Person' as such term is defined in National Instrument 43-101. Mr. Henderson has reviewed and approved the contents of this press release.
SOURCE Katanga Mining Limited
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Sep. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 395
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Sep. 26, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,990
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Sep. 26, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,157
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Sep. 26, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,385
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 26, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,591
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Sep. 26, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,898
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Sep. 26, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,614
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Sep. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,729
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 26, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,621
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 26, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,037
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 26, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,567
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 26, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,561
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 26, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,639
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 26, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,721
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,595
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,188
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,644
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,436
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,753
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,683