|By PR Newswire||
|February 13, 2013 08:01 AM EST||
ZUG, SWITZERLAND, Feb. 13, 2013 /CNW/ - Katanga Mining Limited (TSX: KAT) ("Katanga" or the "Company") today announces its financial results for the 2012 fiscal year end. Katanga's Financial Statements and Management's Discussion and Analysis will be filed under its profile on SEDAR at, www.sedar.com.
Highlights during the year ended December 31, 2012
As announced previously by Katanga:
- On March 29, 2012, the Company announced that it concluded agreements to secure the development of power supply ("Power Project") for its copper and cobalt mine complex in the Democratic Republic of Congo ("DRC") sufficient to take production to 310,000 tonnes per annum by 2015 as the Updated Phase 4 Expansion Project of Katanga's mineral project ("Updated Phase 4 Expansion Project") is implemented.
- On December 13, 2012, the Company announced the satisfaction of the conditions precedent to draw down from its previously announced $515.5 million senior secured facility between among others, a Company subsidiary, as borrower, the Company and other subsidiaries as guarantors, and the Glencore plc Group, as the lender.
- On December 20, 2012, the Company announced the successful production of the first copper cathodes from the newly commissioned facilities as part of the Updated Phase 4 Expansion Project. The new facilities include the first Solvent Extraction ("SX") train with an annual capacity of 100,000 tonnes of copper and the first 144 Electro-Winning ("EW") cells with an annual capacity of 40,000 tonnes of copper. In addition, the Company announced that the new convertor, as part of the World Bank power project, and the new synchronous condenser, as part of the refurbishment of the DRC's power systems, were commissioned and in use as of December 17, 2012. This equipment helps to increase and stabilise power capacity in the region. With the installed convertor and synchronous condenser, the DRC electricity provider, La Société Nationale d'Electricité ("SNEL") is in a position to increase electricity transmission from the Inga power plant, therefore improving the reliability of supply to the Company's operations.
As previously announced:
- During 2012, the Company mined 5,544,701 tonnes of ore (a 22% increase over 2011) at a grade of 4.12% resulting in contained copper in ore mined of 228,606 tonnes.
- Ore mined and hoisted at KTO Underground Mine during 2012 was a record 1,838,616 tonnes, a 14% increase over 2011. The average copper grade of ore mined from KTO Underground Mine during 2012 was 3.60%.
- Ore mined at KOV Open Pit during 2012 was a record 3,706,085 tonnes, a 47% increase over 2011. The average copper grade of ore mined from KOV Open Pit during 2012 was 4.38%.
- The Kamoto East Pit was dewatered with 6.6 million cubic metres of water having been removed. The Kamoto East Pit dewatering allows for more efficient and cost effective waste management and the potential development of the Kamoto East mineral resource using underground mining methods.
As previously announced:
- Ore milled at the Kamoto Concentrator ("KTC") during 2012 was a production record of 4,612,328 tonnes, an increase of 13% compared to 2011.
- Notwithstanding the power availability issues detailed below, copper produced in metal and concentrate for 2012 totalled a production record of 92,963 tonnes, an increase of 2% compared to 2011.
- Cobalt produced totalled 2,129 tonnes for 2012, a decrease of 13% compared to 2011.
- Copper and cobalt production continued to be adversely affected by recurrent general power disruptions in the DRC. During 2012, approximately 1,609 production hours were lost across the operation due to power disruptions, of which 421 hours were lost in Q4 2012. This amounts to approximately 67 days of lost production and includes the time from the power disruption until equipment is operating at pre-power disruption capacity. The lost production time excludes the adverse impact on equipment availability due to the unplanned shut downs and subsequent start ups of the equipment due to the power disruptions. With the commissioning in mid-December 2012 of the World Bank convertor and the Power Project synchronous condenser, power disruptions have decreased. In the medium to long term, improvements in infrastructure as a result of the Power Project are expected to improve the reliability and stability of electricity supplies generally.
Selected Financial Results
- Total sales for 2012 were $600.5 million, a 5% increase over 2011.
- The sales value of oxide concentrate available to be shipped but not invoiced as at December 31, 2012, amounted to approximately $144.3 million and the sales value of copper nodules available to be shipped as at December 31, 2012, amounted to approximately $24.5 million. Of the 16,455 tonnes of copper nodules available for export as at September 30, 2012, only 443 tonnes were still on site, and 4,237 tonnes were in transit as at December 31, 2012.
- For the year ended on December 31, 2012, the Company earned a net income attributable to shareholders of $44.1 million (2011 - $130.8 million).
- Cash and cash equivalents as at December 31, 2012, amounted to $57.0 million (2011 - $57.1 million).
As previously announced:
- Mechanical completion of the Updated Phase 4 Expansion is expected in the third quarter of 2013 which will enable Katanga to both increase total processing capacity as well as upgrade the quality of copper produced through the application of modern technologies.
- The first phase of the feasibility study for the potential T17 underground mine is expected to be completed during the second quarter of 2013. This will potentially allow for the exploitation of additional T17 mineral resources below the bottom of the current open pit using underground mining techniques.
About Katanga Mining Limited
Katanga Mining Limited operates a major mine complex in the Democratic Republic of Congo producing refined copper and cobalt. The Company has the potential to become Africa's largest copper producer and the world's largest cobalt producer. Katanga is listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol KAT.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including, but not limited to, the increase in copper and cobalt production levels, and the anticipated decrease in power disruption relating to the upgrade in power infrastructure, the mechanical completion of the Updated Phase 4 Expansion, the completion of the upgrade in power infrastructure, the commencement of mining at the extension to the T17 Open Pit and the completion of the feasibility study for the potential T17 underground mine. Often, but not always, forward-looking statements can be identified by the use of words such as "plans", "expects" or "does not expect", "is expected", "budget", "scheduled", "estimates", "forecasts", "intends", "anticipates" or "does not anticipate", or "believes", or describes a "goal", or variation of such words and phrases or state that certain actions, events or results "may", "could", "would", "might" or "will" be taken, occur or be achieved.
Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, future events, conditions, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual results, performance or achievements to be materially different from any future results, prediction, projection, forecast, performance or achievements expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements. Such factors include, among others, the actual results of current exploration activities; actual results and interpretation of current reclamation activities; conclusions of economic evaluations; changes in project parameters as plans continue to be refined; future prices of copper and cobalt; possible variations in ore grade or recovery rates; failure of plant, equipment or processes to operate as anticipated; accidents, labour disputes and other risks of the mining industry; delays in obtaining governmental approvals or financing or in the completion of exploration, development or construction activities, as well as those factors disclosed in the Company's current annual information form and other publicly filed documents. Although Katanga has attempted to identify important factors that could cause actual actions, events or results to differ materially from those described in forward-looking statements, there may be other factors that cause actions, events or results not to be as anticipated, estimated or intended. There can be no assurance that forward-looking statements will prove to be accurate, as actual results and future events could differ materially from those anticipated in such statements. Accordingly, readers should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements.
The Company disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise, except in accordance with applicable securities laws.
This press release and the information forming the basis hereof was prepared under the supervision of Tim Henderson, Technical Consultant, Katanga and a 'Qualified Person' as such term is defined in National Instrument 43-101. Mr. Henderson has reviewed and approved the contents of this press release.
SOURCE Katanga Mining Limited
As enterprises work to take advantage of Big Data technologies, they frequently become distracted by product-level decisions. In most new Big Data builds this approach is completely counter-productive: it presupposes tools that may not be a fit for development teams, forces IT to take on the burden of evaluating and maintaining unfamiliar technology, and represents a major up-front expense. In his session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Warfield, CTO and Co-Founder of Coho Data, will dis...
Feb. 6, 2016 07:15 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry's single source for the cloud. Fusion's advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including clou...
Feb. 6, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 703
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 6, 2016 03:15 PM EST Reads: 320
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 6, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 348
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 6, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 336
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 6, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 535
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 6, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 112
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 6, 2016 11:00 AM EST
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 6, 2016 09:00 AM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 6, 2016 05:00 AM EST Reads: 326
Most people haven’t heard the word, “gamification,” even though they probably, and perhaps unwittingly, participate in it every day. Gamification is “the process of adding games or game-like elements to something (as a task) so as to encourage participation.” Further, gamification is about bringing game mechanics – rules, constructs, processes, and methods – into the real world in an effort to engage people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Endo, owner and engagement manager of Intrepid D...
Feb. 5, 2016 09:00 PM EST Reads: 768
Eighty percent of a data scientist’s time is spent gathering and cleaning up data, and 80% of all data is unstructured and almost never analyzed. Cognitive computing, in combination with Big Data, is changing the equation by creating data reservoirs and using natural language processing to enable analysis of unstructured data sources. This is impacting every aspect of the analytics profession from how data is mined (and by whom) to how it is delivered. This is not some futuristic vision: it's ha...
Feb. 2, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 401
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Feb. 2, 2016 04:30 AM EST Reads: 837
Learn how IoT, cloud, social networks and last but not least, humans, can be integrated into a seamless integration of cooperative organisms both cybernetic and biological. This has been enabled by recent advances in IoT device capabilities, messaging frameworks, presence and collaboration services, where devices can share information and make independent and human assisted decisions based upon social status from other entities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Heydt, founder of Seamless...
Feb. 1, 2016 05:00 AM EST Reads: 917
The IoT's basic concept of collecting data from as many sources possible to drive better decision making, create process innovation and realize additional revenue has been in use at large enterprises with deep pockets for decades. So what has changed? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Prasanna Sivaramakrishnan, Solutions Architect at Red Hat, discussed the impact commodity hardware, ubiquitous connectivity, and innovations in open source software are having on the connected universe of people, thi...
Jan. 31, 2016 09:00 PM EST Reads: 713
WebRTC: together these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Cary Bran, VP of Innovation and New Ventures at Plantronics and PLT Labs, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it may enable, complement or entirely transform.
Jan. 31, 2016 07:15 PM EST Reads: 1,135
There are so many tools and techniques for data analytics that even for a data scientist the choices, possible systems, and even the types of data can be daunting. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Harrold, Global CTO for Big Data Solutions for EMC Corporation, showed how to perform a simple, but meaningful analysis of social sentiment data using freely available tools that take only minutes to download and install. Participants received the download information, scripts, and complete end-t...
Jan. 31, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,193
For manufacturers, the Internet of Things (IoT) represents a jumping-off point for innovation, jobs, and revenue creation. But to adequately seize the opportunity, manufacturers must design devices that are interconnected, can continually sense their environment and process huge amounts of data. As a first step, manufacturers must embrace a new product development ecosystem in order to support these products.
Jan. 31, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 796
Manufacturing connected IoT versions of traditional products requires more than multiple deep technology skills. It also requires a shift in mindset, to realize that connected, sensor-enabled “things” act more like services than what we usually think of as products. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David Friedman, CEO and co-founder of Ayla Networks, discussed how when sensors start generating detailed real-world data about products and how they’re being used, smart manufacturers can use the dat...
Jan. 30, 2016 07:45 PM EST Reads: 767
When it comes to IoT in the enterprise, namely the commercial building and hospitality markets, a benefit not getting the attention it deserves is energy efficiency, and IoT’s direct impact on a cleaner, greener environment when installed in smart buildings. Until now clean technology was offered piecemeal and led with point solutions that require significant systems integration to orchestrate and deploy. There didn't exist a 'top down' approach that can manage and monitor the way a Smart Buildi...
Jan. 30, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,258