|By Marketwired .||
|February 11, 2013 08:01 AM EST||
NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwire) -- 02/11/13 -- With the last-minute fiscal cliff deal, the U.S. economy averted a major crisis. The fiscal cliff deal, coupled with an improving labor market and a sharp recovery in the housing market, has lifted consumer confidence in the U.S. This is a good sign for discount, variety stores industry. However, increasing competition could put pressure on margins at companies such as Dollar General Corp. and Dollar Tree Inc.
Access our free reports on Dollar General Corp. (NYSE: DG) and Dollar Tree Inc. (NASDAQ: DLTR). Traders can also connect to our Wall Street Trading Floor where our research desk and market pros are standing between 8:50 am to 4:15 pm ET at
Confidence among U.S. consumers has been improving as the U.S. economy continues to recover. Consumer sentiment was also lifted by the passage of last minute fiscal cliff deal at the beginning of this year. The fiscal cliff deal ended a great deal of uncertainty.
Consumer confidence has also been lifted by the stabilizing labor market and a sharp recovery in the housing market. Data released last Friday showed that the U.S. economy added 157,000 jobs in January, while the unemployment rate was at 7.9%. Initial jobless claims are also hovering around five-year lows. Meanwhile, the housing market continues to recover strongly.
While the economy continues to recover, the U.S. consumer is still deleveraging. And this means that consumer spending is expected to remain tight. Consumers are likely to remain price-conscious as they continue to deleverage and this augurs well for discount stores such as Dollar General and Dollar Tree. However, as discount stores compete with each other to win customers, margin could be impacted in the future.
Later this month, Dollar Tree will release its financial results for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2012. It will be interesting to see how the company performed during the crucial holiday season.
Back in November, at the time of the release of third quarter results, Dollar Tree had said that it expects sales in the fourth quarter to be between $2.20 billion and $2.26 billion, based on a flat-to-low-single digit comparable store sales increase. The company forecasted diluted earnings per share at $0.97 to $1.02 for the fourth quarter.
In the third quarter of fiscal 2012, Dollar Tree reported consolidated net sales of $1.72 billion, an increase of 7.8% over the same period in the previous year. President and CEO Bob Sasser said that sales increased in both basic and variety categories in the third quarter. The company's operating margin improved 40 basis points in the third quarter.
Dollar General reported its third quarter ended November 2, 2012 results in December. The company's net income for the quarter was $208 million, or $0.62 per share, compared to $171 million, or $0.50 per share reported for the same period in the previous year.
For the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012, Dollar General expects comparable-store sales to rise 3% to 4%. Back in December, Rick Dreiling, Chairman and CEO of Dollar General, said that although the company's performance over the Thanksgiving weekend and start of the Holiday Season was encouraging, the company continues to be cautious for the remainder of the year. However, since then a great deal of uncertainty has ended mainly due to the passage of the fiscal cliff deal. Dollar General's outlook for fiscal 2013 is therefore likely to be more optimistic.
Dollar General will release its fourth quarter results next month.
Shine's Rooms is the brain child of David Shine, a 13 year Wall Street veteran with a stellar track record. For 13 years Shine has trained thousands of traders to navigate and profit from the markets. Using cutting edge technology, Shine provides you with a community in which you can trade alongside Shine and his Team as they guide you through the market's ever-changing landscape. ShinesRooms.com is the Ultimate Trading Environment for investors. Over the last 5 years our returns outpaced any of the major indexes. Sign up today to find out what you are missing. www.ShinesRooms.com
To view our disclaimer, visit this link http://www.shinesrooms.com/disclaimer.html.
Michael Thomas Smith
- Mainstream Business Applications and In-Memory Databases
- Findly Enhances Recruiting Efficiency With New Single Sign-on Portal
- Ukraine Has Potential in Midst of Chaos
- “Entisys 02” Finishes in Top 20 at the 2014 NASCAR K&N Pro Series West Race at the Sonoma Raceway
- Complete Surface Pro 3 Review - 3 days later
- Flexera Software Increases Commitment to Europe with Germany-based Datacenter to Host FlexNet Manager Suite Cloud for European Customers
- June 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Android and the Open Automotive Alliance Shift into the Next Gear
- Research and Markets: Global Industrial Control Systems (ICS) Security Market 2014-2018 with Cisco, Fortinet, General Dynamics, Juniper Networks, McAfee, Raytheon & Symantec Dominating
- MongoDB World in NY City this week
- Is Business Transformation a Dirty Word(s)?
- Book Review: Learning Mobile App Development
- Mainstream Business Applications and In-Memory Databases
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Big Data, Cloud and Mobile - Converging Technology Trends
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Big Data Expo 2014 Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- Jim Miller at ImageWare Systems, George Romas at HP, Jody Ross at AMAG, + March Networks and StrikeForce Featured in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- Microsoft SharePoint at a Crossroads – Opportunities & Challenges Abound
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- One Horizon Group Announces First Quarter 2014 Results
- Google Maps and ASP.NET
- Converting VB6 to VB.NET, Part I
- How to Write High-Performance C# Code
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Crystal Reports XI & How It Has Changed
- Creating Controls for.NET Compact Framework in Visual Studio 2005
- Programmatically Posting Data to ASP .NET Web Applications
- Implementing Tab Navigation with ASP.NET 2.0
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- i-Technology Viewpoint: "SOA Sucks"
- .NET Archives: Getting Reacquainted with the Father of C#