|By Bob Gourley||
|February 7, 2013 06:46 PM EST||
Here are the top mobile news and stories of the day.
- Steve Wozniak: Samsung is a “big competitor” and Apple is “somewhat behind” - For better or worse, Steve Wozniak’s opinion on all things mobile (or rather all things Apple) is always of huge interest to some people. Well the most recent news is Steve Wozniak seems to believe that Samsung (Android) is a better OS than iOS right now. Via Android Community, more here.
- FreedomPop now lets users share unused data through social networks, confirms LTE iPad clip coming soon – FreedomPop offered a sleeve for the iPod Touch which gave WiMAX to the device. It now allows you to share that data with friends via social networks. It appears they are also planning an iPad capability in the coming months. Via 9to5Mac, more here.
- Review: BlackBerry 10 is better, much better, late than never – Ars Technica reviews the new BlackBerry 10, and if you’re considering purchasing a BB10 device you should check it out. It is the most extensive and even handed review of the operating system I have seen to date. Via Ars Technica, more here.
- In Q4 Android phones drove more mobile ad impressions than iPhone for 1st time ever – Mobile ad impressions is an imprecise calculation, but changes in them can definitely identify trends. This information was released by Opera Mediaworks (which tracks the statistics of the Opera Mobile). These statistics really mean nothing to me, because Opera is an alternative browser anyways (and far inferior to both native Android browsers and Google’s own Chrome browser). Via GigaOM, more here.
- HTC M7 could arrive as soon as March 8 – HTC was banking on getting their next elite smartphone, the M7 out the door before Apple’s iPhone 5S/6 or Samsung’s Galaxy S IV were released. However, numerous reports of manufacturing issues among other things have led to a released that may hit only 500K instead of the purported 3M units alleged to ship. That said, getting it out in March may help HTC capture mindshare before comparative devices can be released. Via Android Community, more here.
- Mailbox for iPhone goes live for free in the App Store, reservations now being filled – “Mailbox, the highly-anticipated third-party Gmail client for the iPhone, is now available in the App Store. Here’s the essence of why Mailbox is meant to be a better mobile email client:
- Mailbox is light, fast, and mobile-friendly.
- Swipes make checking mail from your phone a delight.
- Snoozes let you put off an email until later and remind you when the time has come.
- Mailbox makes getting to inbox zero, and staying there, a breeze.”
If you’re interested in a new Gmail app, apply for the registration and check it out. Via 9to5Mac, more here.
- ASUS ME371MG tablet leak shows a 7-inch display and Intel processor – This potential Asus and Intel tablet would be only the second Android device with Intel guts, and the first tablet. It will be really interesting to see what Intel can bring to bear in mobile devices and capabilities. Via Android Community, more here.
- 33 expert tips and tricks for iOS 6 – Apple added some new capabilities in iOS 6, and this MacWorld article may help some of you get to know your new OS a little better. Check it out here.
- ComScore: Windows Phone lost US market share in holiday quarter – Microsoft was hoping for a big Q4, and it did not come. Between lackluster Surface RT sales and losing Windows Phone 8 market share, they are not looking strong in the mobile scene. Via GigaOM, more here.
- Galaxy Q with Bendable Dual HD Display Screen to be Announced in MWC 2013 – The Galaxy Q is set to be showcased at MWC. This device will have 2 5.3″ 1080p screens, as well as having a 3500mAh battery. I’m unsure how this would pan out in the wild, but we shall have to wait for MWC. Via Android Advices, more here.
- Wikipad 7-inch Android gaming tablet to arrive this spring for $249 – Wikipad initially debuted their idea of an Android gamepad at the 10″ size, but have reasonably shrunk it down to a 7″ screen. This device “will have an attachable dual-analog controller and given the processor — will have games from the Tegra Zone. Wikipad also noted PlayStation Mobile and Big Fish Games as partners.” Via Android Community, more here.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ericsson has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Ericsson is a world leader in the rapidly changing environment of communications technology – providing equipment, software and services to enable transformation through mobility. Some 40 percent of global mobile traffic runs through networks we have supplied. More than 1 billion subscribers around the world re...
May. 3, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,163
SYS-CON Events announced today that Peak 10, Inc., a national IT infrastructure and cloud services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored data center and network services, cloud and managed services. Its solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers’ changing business needs, enabling them to lower costs, improve performance and focus inter...
May. 3, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,327
The increasing popularity of the Internet of Things necessitates that our physical and cognitive relationship with wearable technology will change rapidly in the near future. This advent means logging has become a thing of the past. Before, it was on us to track our own data, but now that data is automatically available. What does this mean for mHealth and the "connected" body? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Lisa Calkins, CEO and co-founder of Amadeus Consulting, will discuss the impact of wea...
May. 3, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 823
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
May. 3, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,396
There is an ever-growing explosion of new devices that are connected to the Internet using “cloud” solutions. This rapid growth is creating a massive new demand for efficient access to data. And it’s not just about connecting to that data anymore. This new demand is bringing new issues and challenges and it is important for companies to scale for the coming growth. And with that scaling comes the need for greater security, gathering and data analysis, storage, connectivity and, of course, the...
May. 3, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,009
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 3, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 515
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
May. 3, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,095
Increasing IoT connectivity is forcing enterprises to find elegant solutions to organize and visualize all incoming data from these connected devices with re-configurable dashboard widgets to effectively allow rapid decision-making for everything from immediate actions in tactical situations to strategic analysis and reporting. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Shikhir Singh, Senior Developer Relations Manager at Sencha, will discuss how to create HTML5 dashboards that interact with IoT devic...
May. 3, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,166
Artificial Intelligence has the potential to massively disrupt IoT. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, AJ Abdallat, CEO of Beyond AI, will discuss what the five main drivers are in Artificial Intelligence that could shape the future of the Internet of Things. AJ Abdallat is CEO of Beyond AI. He has over 20 years of management experience in the fields of artificial intelligence, sensors, instruments, devices and software for telecommunications, life sciences, environmental monitoring, process...
May. 3, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,073
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
May. 3, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,056
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
May. 2, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,573
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry's single source for the cloud. Fusion's advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including cloud...
May. 2, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,672
Digital payments using wearable devices such as smart watches, fitness trackers, and payment wristbands are an increasing area of focus for industry participants, and consumer acceptance from early trials and deployments has encouraged some of the biggest names in technology and banking to continue their push to drive growth in this nascent market. Wearable payment systems may utilize near field communication (NFC), radio frequency identification (RFID), or quick response (QR) codes and barcodes...
May. 2, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 903
SYS-CON Events announced today that DatacenterDynamics has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. DatacenterDynamics is a brand of DCD Group, a global B2B media and publishing company that develops products to help senior professionals in the world's most ICT dependent organizations make risk-based infrastructure and capacity decisions.
May. 2, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,561
The IoT has the potential to create a renaissance of manufacturing in the US and elsewhere. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Florent Solt, CTO and chief architect of Netvibes, will discuss how the expected exponential increase in the amount of data that will be processed, transported, stored, and accessed means there will be a huge demand for smart technologies to deliver it. Florent Solt is the CTO and chief architect of Netvibes. Prior to joining Netvibes in 2007, he co-founded Rift Technol...
May. 1, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,635
We’ve worked with dozens of early adopters across numerous industries and will debunk common misperceptions, which starts with understanding that many of the connected products we’ll use over the next 5 years are already products, they’re just not yet connected. With an IoT product, time-in-market provides much more essential feedback than ever before. Innovation comes from what you do with the data that the connected product provides in order to enhance the customer experience and optimize busi...
May. 1, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,103
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere...
May. 1, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,621
Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified – now it's a component-based well-performing framework. This immersive one-day workshop at 18th Cloud Expo, led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and the product company SuranceBay, will provide you with everything you wanted to know about Angular 2.
May. 1, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,793
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
May. 1, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,376
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
May. 1, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,137