|By Marketwired .||
|February 6, 2013 08:00 AM EST||
NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwire) -- 02/06/13 -- Apart from the disappointing fourth quarter GDP report, recent economic data out of U.S. has been encouraging. The last minute fiscal cliff deal signed at the start of this year has also ended a great of uncertainty. This augurs well for truck manufacturers such as Oshkosh and Navistar International. Last month, the Commerce Department reported that the U.S. economy contracted unexpectedly in the fourth quarter of 2012. The U.S. economy shrank 0.1% in the fourth quarter. However, this was the initial reading on the fourth quarter GDP and the number could be upwardly revised when the final GDP report released.
Access our free reports on Oshkosh Corp. (NYSE: OSK) and Navistar International Corp. (NYSE: NAV). Traders can also connect to our Wall Street Trading Floor where our research desk and market pros are standing between 8:50 am to 4:15 pm ET at
In addition, the fourth quarter GDP data was one of the rare disappointing news on the economic front in the last few weeks. On Friday, several reports, including non-farm payrolls data and better-than-expected consumer sentiment data, pointed to continuing recovery in the economy.
The recovery has been the strongest in the housing market, the collapse of which had led to the financial crisis of 2009 and the subsequent recession. On Friday, a report from the Commerce Department showed that construction spending rose 0.9% in December to an $885 billion annual rate. The strong recovery in the housing market is a good sign for Oshkosh, which is exposed to construction activity through its JLG unit.
While the outlook for U.S. economy has continued to improve, the looming sequester is a concern for both Oshkosh and Navistar. If the sequester goes into effect on March 1, then it will lead to cuts in military spending. This will hurt Oshkosh's and Navistar's military business. Lawmakers now have less than a month to reach a deal on reducing U.S. deficit and avert the looming sequester.
Late last month, Oshkosh reported its financial results for the first quarter of fiscal 2013. The Oshkosh, Wisconsin-based company reported net income of $46.2 million, or $0.51 per share for the first quarter of fiscal 2013, compared to $38.9 million, or $0.43 per share reported for the same period in the previous year. Adjusted net income for the quarter was $55.1 million, or $0.60 per share, compared to $34.6 million, or $0.39 per share reported for the same period in the previous year.
Charlie Szews, CEO of Oshkosh, noted that each of the company's non-defense segments improved its operating income margins compared to the prior year quarter, favorably positioning the company to deliver on its long-range goals. Following the strong results, Oshkosh also raised its outlook for fiscal 2013 adjusted earnings to $2.80-$3.05 per share.
Back in December, Navistar had reported a pre-tax loss of $566 million due to adjustments to pre-existing warranties and the charges related to the cost-reduction actions.
Navistar CEO Lewis B. Campbell, said at the time of the release of fourth quarter results in December that the company continues to make significant progress on its turnaround and the complexity of fourth quarter results is reflective of the actions necessary during the time of transition.
Shine's Rooms is the brain child of David Shine, a 13 year Wall Street veteran with a stellar track record. For 13 years Shine has trained thousands of traders to navigate and profit from the markets. Using cutting edge technology, Shine provides you with a community in which you can trade alongside Shine and his Team as they guide you through the market's ever-changing landscape. ShinesRooms.com is the Ultimate Trading Environment for investors. Over the last 5 years our returns outpaced any of the major indexes. Sign up today to find out what you are missing. www.ShinesRooms.com
To view our disclaimer, visit this link http://www.shinesrooms.com/disclaimer.html.
Michael Thomas Smith
- Mainstream Business Applications and In-Memory Databases
- Findly Enhances Recruiting Efficiency With New Single Sign-on Portal
- Ukraine Has Potential in Midst of Chaos
- “Entisys 02” Finishes in Top 20 at the 2014 NASCAR K&N Pro Series West Race at the Sonoma Raceway
- Complete Surface Pro 3 Review - 3 days later
- Flexera Software Increases Commitment to Europe with Germany-based Datacenter to Host FlexNet Manager Suite Cloud for European Customers
- June 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Android and the Open Automotive Alliance Shift into the Next Gear
- Research and Markets: Global Industrial Control Systems (ICS) Security Market 2014-2018 with Cisco, Fortinet, General Dynamics, Juniper Networks, McAfee, Raytheon & Symantec Dominating
- MongoDB World in NY City this week
- Is Business Transformation a Dirty Word(s)?
- Book Review: Learning Mobile App Development
- Mainstream Business Applications and In-Memory Databases
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Big Data, Cloud and Mobile - Converging Technology Trends
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Big Data Expo 2014 Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- Jim Miller at ImageWare Systems, George Romas at HP, Jody Ross at AMAG, + March Networks and StrikeForce Featured in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- Microsoft SharePoint at a Crossroads – Opportunities & Challenges Abound
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- One Horizon Group Announces First Quarter 2014 Results
- Google Maps and ASP.NET
- Converting VB6 to VB.NET, Part I
- How to Write High-Performance C# Code
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Crystal Reports XI & How It Has Changed
- Creating Controls for.NET Compact Framework in Visual Studio 2005
- Programmatically Posting Data to ASP .NET Web Applications
- Implementing Tab Navigation with ASP.NET 2.0
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- i-Technology Viewpoint: "SOA Sucks"
- .NET Archives: Getting Reacquainted with the Father of C#