|By Marketwired .||
|December 11, 2012 08:01 AM EST||
CALGARY, ALBERTA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/11/12 -- The climate science critical review organization, Friends of Science, denounces the on-going waste of resources and "climate science dogma" of the recent COP-18 Doha talks, spawned in 1992 by the UN United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the related UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
"We've been reviewing the peer-reviewed climate science for a decade," says President Len Maier, "but the phenomenal waste of financial and energy resources have turned our group into something of an environmental green-wash watch-dog as well."
Friends of Science are a group of retired atmospheric and earth scientists who dispute the commonly accepted theory of human-made 'global warming' as being the result of the use of fossil fuels. Friends of Science claim 'carbon reduction' is unnecessary and irrelevant as the sun is the main driver of climate change. Temperatures and carbon dioxide levels are well within historic norms of climate fluctuations.
"The 'anthropogenic global warming' theory has not stood the test of the Scientific Method," says Maier, "yet countries, industries and citizens are frantically trying to reduce their 'carbon footprint' when this will have no impact on climate."
Friends of Science specifically condemn the 'climate cult' that has indoctrinated youth with a catastrophic view of the future - leading many youth into deep depression and a sense of helplessness.
"Human beings are capable of magnificent scientific and technological accomplishments. We should be inspiring our youth to stand on the shoulders of the giants of innovation - but most important we must dismantle this "climate change crisis cult" and stop wasting resources on this green-wash and rent-seeking."
FACTS - The UN Climate Change predictions are:
1. Incomplete. The UN/IPCC reports exclude the overwhelming scientific evidence that the sun is the main driver of climate change. Not CO2. 2. Inaccurate. Climate Change prediction models done on computer have been wildly inaccurate; when accurate data is entered about actual recent temperatures, the computer models cannot accurately 'hind-cast' (calculate temperature patterns in reverse). 3. Based on assumption. Some UN/IPCC -allied scientists have assumed that CO2 drives temperature - but this has not been scientifically proven. For the past 16 years, despite a rise in CO2, the UK Met Office reports there has been no global warming. 4. Out of context. Global temperatures began being recorded in the late 1880's. But historic human records of temperature change date back centuries and geological evidence dates back at least 500 million years. In context, today's climate and weather are perfectly normal. 5. Wasting resources. Fear of CO2 emissions has lead to a "rush to renewable." But 'renewables' like wind and solar are unreliable energy producers. They require 24/7 back-up power generation by gas-fired plants. This is wasteful and very expensive for no energy benefit. It's not 'free' energy at all. 6. Factually incorrect. The climate change crisis cult has made people believe that carbon dioxide (CO2) is a toxic gas in large quantity that threatens human life. In fact, CO2 is the essence of life - without it there would be no oxygen. CO2 is plant food, and more CO2 increases plant growth and crop yields. CO2 is a trace element in the atmosphere- occurring at about 0.04%. 7. Economically devastating. Citizens of Western nations have been plunged into fuel poverty in the UK, Ontario, Spain, and California as extreme 'carbon reduction' measures were enacted, driving consumer and business energy prices sky-high while doing zero for the environment (see point 5. Above). Clever investors get rich on carbon taxes/trades called 'climate wealth' while crushing consumers. 8. Based on one-sided research. Billions are spent on climate change research dedicated to the unproven theory of man-made global warming through use of fossil fuels; very little is spent on understanding more significant modifying natural factors like the sun, volcanoes, ocean currents etc. 9. Rife with conflicts of interests. Agenda-driven ENGO's have invaded the UN Climate organizations at all levels; scientists have been co-opted to be 'climate witnesses', wealthy speculators lead the charge, capitalizing on carbon taxes, subsidies for renewable, and carbon trades at your expense. 10. Environmentally destructive & expensive. $1 trillion dollars spent in a decade on 'carbon reduction' - biofuels take up valuable food crops, and have no net positive production of fuel. "Renewables" wastefully consume energy resources for limited power generation in return, creating different kinds of pollutions, emission, and human/wildlife damage - and no net benefit.
1. Changes in solar activity correlates well with earth's temperature as shown in numerous studies. This graph shows a good correlation between 400 years of northern hemisphere temperatures and solar irradiance, which is used as a proxy for all solar changes. Note the low solar activity periods occurring during the Little Ice Age (Maunder Minimum 1645 to 1715 and the Dalton Minimum 1795 to 1825). Longer term, here is a correlation of a solar proxy to a temperature proxy for a period of 3000 years. See "Sun Activity Correlates with Temperature" here.
To view the Visualization of the proportionate ratio of sun and earth, with Coronal Mass Ejection image, please visit this link: http://media3.marketwire.com/docs/1210fos.jpg
2. Climate modellers have given up trying to match their models to the observations. They ignore that fact that there has been no warming for 15 years so their surface temperature projections greatly diverge from the measurements as shown here. A primary reason the models fail is because they predict an enhanced warming rate in the upper atmosphere which does not appear in the measurements as shown here and here. The latter graph shows the climate model temperature trends of the mid-troposphere, using 57 runs from 23 climate models, are four times larger than observations from satellites and weather balloons. Much of the earth's heat is stored in the oceans. The GISS climate model over estimates the ocean heat content warming trend of the top 700 m from 2003 by a factor of 6 compared to measurements from 3300 ARGO buoys as shown here. The north to south pattern of climate change as measured by satellites bears no resemblance to the climate model projections. The climate model seas surface warming trend at the equator from 1982 is 6 times higher than that measured by satellites as shown here. The graph here shows the northern hemisphere sea surface temperature measurements and the climate model hindcasts for the period 1910 to 1944. The actual temperature rise was 4.5 times greater than the modeled trend. The models cannot replicate the measurements because they do not include natural causes of climate change. See "Computer Models Fail" here.
3. The UK's Daily Mail published a graph from the Met Office here, showing no global warming for 16 years. The climate models assume that increasing temperatures would cause an increase in water vapour in the upper atmosphere, and fewer clouds, which would amplify the small direct warming effect from CO2. Radiosonde and satellite data shows that both of these assumptions are false. Upper atmosphere water vapour and clouds act to reduce the CO2-induced warming. See "Water Vapour Feedback" here and Cloud feedback" here.
4. The temperature and CO2 concentration history of the last 600 million years is shown here. The Vostok ice core temperature record over the last 400,000 years is shown here. The temperature history during the last 10,000 years is here. See "Climate is Always Changing" here.
5. An article here shows that wind power is a ludicrously inefficient and expensive way to generate electricity. A study of wind power in the Netherlands here shows that wind power cause extra fuel consumption instead of fuel saving, when compared to electricity production with modern high-efficiency gas turbines only. See FoS Policies and Economics here.
6. The increase in CO2 emissions has caused increased crop yields and faster growing plants and forests, thereby greening the planet. Crop yields have increased about 16% due to more CO2. The chart here shows that a 50% increase in CO2 causes a 10% increase in wheat yields in wet conditions and a 23% increase in dry conditions. See "CO2 Greatly Increases Plant and Forest Growth" here and the FoS Climate Sciencegreater than greater than CO2 and Plant Growth section here.
7. A survey in 2011 shows that 6.3 million households in the United Kingdom, or 24% of all households were in fuel poverty due to rising energy costs, see here. These households spend more than 10% of their incomes on home fuel use.
9. Donna Laframboise, author of "The Delinquent Teenager who was Mistaken for the World's Top Climate Expert", an expose of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, presented her findings in Calgary at the Friends of Science 9th annual luncheon. Her presentation is here. She finds that the 2007 IPCC report contains references to 5,587 non-peer-reviewed articles, including newspaper articles and Greenpeace propaganda documents. Two-thirds of chapters where authored by at least one scientist affiliated with the lobby group, The World Wildlife Fund.
10. The USA and the EU have instituted mandates and subsidies to stimulate the production of bio-fuels in a miss-guided effort to displace fossil fuels. The diversion of corn from food consumption to biofuels has increased food prices and poverty. A study here shows that biofuel production over 2004 level has resulted in 192,000 excess deaths from malnutrition and poverty in 2010 in developing countries. Ethanol added to gasoline reduces fuel efficiency. About 30% of the US corn crop is used to make ethanol, see here. The mining of rare earth mineral used to manufacture the magnets for the wind turbines has caused an ecological catastrophe in northern China, see here. Wind power has a huge land footprint because it is very dilute and intermittent. It requires extensive networks of roads, transmission lines and turbines. Wind turbines are very dangerous for the workers who must maintain them and for the public. Lumps of ice and broken blades get flung off them. One blade was flung into a house over 5 km away. Wind farm also deadly to bats and birds. Wind turbines at Altamont Pass, California were killing up to 4,000 birds annually, including over 1,000 raptors such as golden eagles, hawks, falcons and owls, see here. Feed-in-tariffs in Ontario is costing consumers $4 billion per year, with solar power costing 49 cents/kWhr, about 5 times the conventional rate, see here.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 31, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 885
18th Cloud Expo, taking place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some...
May. 31, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,262
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 31, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,436
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 31, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,418
"What we see what happens when you have a completely networked society and the potential to now drive the value creation and the collaboration and the ecosystems that are possible when you start to be able to connect people and industries together in ways that have never been possible before," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP of Marketing Enterprise & Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 31, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,824
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 31, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,346
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
May. 31, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,884
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
May. 31, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,829
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 31, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,035
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 31, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,374
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 31, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,212
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
May. 31, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,599
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 31, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,375
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 31, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,592
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 31, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,078
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 31, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,122
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 31, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,550
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 31, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,446
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 31, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,576
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 31, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,478