|By PR Newswire||
|December 7, 2012 05:25 PM EST||
MIAMI, Dec. 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Business volume up 3.7% to €1,515 million
- 4 and 5 Trident customers up 7% increase [+ 57,000 ]
- Operating Income Villages up 1% to €62 million
- Net income before tax and non-recurring items up 7.3% to €35 million
- Net result €2 million
- Gearing -10 points at 23%
- Free cash flow up 45% to €55 million
Xavier Mufraggi, CEO of Club Med North America, comments on the fiscal 2012 results as a reflection of Club Med's success in the U.S. saying:
"Club Med North America is pleased to announce another profitable year in 2012, with our best results in more than 10 years despite a challenging market, illustrating the success of a change in business model that aligns with an upscale and family-focused strategy.
The success of the renovation of Sandpiper Bay in Florida is one of the key elements in Club Med North America's impressive performance. The resort surpassed expectations and illustrates the importance of having an all-inclusive family resort in the U.S. Sandpiper Bay was not the only resort responsible for our growth, and even despite challenges in the market, the region has also garnered more sustainability through an increase in brand loyalty, and an acceleration of new guest recruitment in resorts worldwide (including ski destinations and additional group bookings.)
Club Med continues to keep a pulse on the industry in order to offer today's travelers an unparalleled and dynamic vacation experience at more than 80 locations around the world.
For 2013, we will continue to invest in our portfolio by opening new resorts in Pragelato Vialattea, Italy, Belek, Turkey and Guilin, China, while also renovating current properties in Rio Das Pedras, Brazil and Cherating Beach, Malaysia. Specifically in North America, we will continue to focus on our points of differentiation vs. the competition. For example, we will reinforce the positioning of our sports offering through a new concept surrounding "Active Vacations" set to launch at our Sandpiper Bay property. To further strengthen our positioning as the leader in unique children's offerings, this spring Club Med will introduce the most competitive pricing for children in the market by extending our kids under 2 stay free to kids under 4.
In response to the increased interest from American and Canadian customers in our unique ski product, Club Med has prospective plans to open a new ski resort in North America. Our brand already has 50 years of experience in ski vacations and 23 ski properties worldwide with high occupancy rates and an outstanding level of guest satisfaction.
We are confident in the North American market and look forward to upcoming projects and new growth."
Commenting on the annual results, Henri Giscard d'Estaing, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, noted that:
"Club Mediterranee's reported an increase in revenue for fiscal 2012 despite accelerating deterioration of the European tourist markets during the summer. Thanks to its powerful positioning on the upscale market, the Group was able to protect its margins and demonstrate the resilience of its business model.
Club Med is now in a position for a new step forward in the deployment of its international expansion strategy, by leveraging its stronger financial position, its upscale portfolio of villages and the ability to interface one-to-one with customers through direct distribution network.
Club Med is positioned to capture growth in the market of all-inclusive upscale vacation packages in order to get by the end of 2015 one in three customers to come from fast-developing economies."
1. A year of growth in 2012 despite worsening market conditions in Europe
-- Key figures for fiscal 2012 (1 November 2011 - 31 October 2012)
- Village business volume (corresponding to total sales regardless of village operating structure) rose by 3.7% to €1,515 million from €1,461 million in fiscal 2011.
- Village revenue totaled €1,447 million, up 2.2% with increases of 2.8% in the Europe-Africa region (of which +2.5% in France in a market declining by 2.6% according to CETO1) and 4.5% in the Americas region. In Asia, revenues dipped 2.6% due to the sale of the Lindeman Island village in Australia. Excluding Lindeman Island, revenue from the region was up 2.8%, helped by a 24% rise in the number of Chinese customers during the fiscal year.
- RevPAB (revenue per available bed) at constant exchange rates was 2.1% higher, at €99.3, versus €97.3 in fiscal 2011, reflecting a 1.8% improvement in the average price per hotel day to €139,3 and a one-point rise in the occupancy rate to just under 69%.
-- Profitability preserved attesting to the business model's robustness.
- EBITDA Villages was stable at €126 million. EBITDA margin stood at 8.7%, close to the 9% target announced last June.
- Operating Income Villages rose to €62 million from €61 million in fiscal 2011, lifted by higher contributions from the Americas and Asia. These two regions now account for over two-thirds of total operating income villages, reflecting the effectiveness of the Group's global strategy.
- Operating loss from the management of assets amounted to €26 million, with the €32 million cost of closing non-strategic villages partly offset by gains on disposal of the Meribel Aspen Park village and other assets.
- Other operating income and expense represented a net expense of €14 million, of which restructuring costs accounted for €10 million.
- Finance cost - net represented €8 million versus €16 million in fiscal 2011. The €47 million reduction in average net debt led to interest savings of €3 million, while profits on sales of shares and provision reversals had a positive impact of €4 million.
- Net income before tax and non-recurring items rose slightly to €35 million after quadrupling in fiscal 2011. Attributable net profit was stable at €2 million.
- The Board of Directors meeting held on 6 December approved the 2012 financial statements. It also indicated that it would like for shareholders to benefit from the Company's improvements. This could be done through purchase of shares to be cancelled under the shareholder buyback program which will be submitted at the Annual Shareholder Meeting. Due to the lack of visibility on the fiscal 2013 earnings, in the currently worsening economic environment and declining European tourist market, the Board believes that this option is preferable to paying a cash dividend for fiscal 2012.
-- Club Med has three major strengths to help it withstand the challenging environment in France and the rest of Europe
- A strong financial position, with growing positive underlying free cash flow. In fiscal 2012, free cash flow stood at €55 million compared with €38 million the previous year, or €36 million versus €26 million excluding the impact of asset disposals and village exit costs. In addition, net debt is significantly lower at €118 million, reflecting a 10-point improvement in gearing to 22.6%, while the ratio of net debt to EBITDA villages has improved considerably and now stands at less than 1x. It was divided by two since 2010.
- A fully refurbished, upscale village offer, with 4 and 5-Trident villages representing two third of total capacity at 31 October 2012, a 3.6-point increase over one year. Three villages were sold during the year (Meribel Aspen Park, Lindeman Island and Bora-Bora) and five non-strategic villages were closed (Smir, Coral Beach, Djerba Meridiana, Beldi and Nabeul).
The Valmorel village in France that was opened last December has confirmed the validity of the Group's strategic positioning in the uscale and very upscale segments. With an occupancy rate of 81% in its first year, the new village attests the leading position of Club Med's mountain village offer, even in the summer.
- Tighter customer relations, with over 60% of sales carried out directly. Online bookings have continued to grow, accounting for 20.5% of sales in fiscal 2012.
2. Fiscal 2013 outlook
-- A slightly growing Winter 2013, led by demand in the Americas and Asia.
As of 1 December, winter 2013 bookings (business volume at constant exchange rates) were up 1.1% on the prior-year season. In 2011, bookings at that date represented two-thirds of the winter total.
Bookings in the Europe-Africa region were down 0.8%. In France, Club Med Business bookings that reached records last year were down, while the individuals were up +1.2% in business volume. This figure translate in number of customers to a -3.1%, while the market is down 10.3% at the end of October, according to France's tour operators organization CETO.
Bookings in the Americas and Asia were up by 7.2% and 5.0% respectively, lifted by the more favorable economic environment in these regions and, in particular, by the dynamism of Brazil, China and other fast-developing markets.
Bookings for the past four weeks were down 0.6% with a drop of 5.1% for the Europe-Africa region, partly offset by booking that are up in Americas and Asia.
-- The uncertain environment calls for prudence in 2013
In light of the sluggish economic environment in Europe, particularly France, the following measures have been taken:
- Winter 2013 capacity has been adjusted by 3.7% compared with winter 2012. In Europe-Africa, closure of Meribel Aspen Park and Coral Beach along with temporary shutdowns of certain villages in North Africa have led to a 5.4% capacity reduction. For the summer 2013 season, Europe-Africa capacity has been shrunk by 6.2% in response to the uncertain economic environment.
- Capital spending will be kept at the fiscal 2012 level of around €55 million and will concern both ongoing projects to move the village offer upscale and necessary maintenance work. In addition, a further €10 million or so may be spent on acquiring equity interests to speed up the pace of growth in certain high potential markets such as Brazil and Russia.
- Costs reported under "Operating loss from the management of assets" should be considerably lower than in fiscal 2012 now that the program to move the village offer upscale is nearing completion.
Based on the above outlook, the Group should report positive free cash flow in fiscal 2013.
3. 2015: a new milestone in Club Med's global strategy to capture growth in the all-inclusive upscale vacation package market
-- Step up the pace of growth in fast-developing markets
With growth set to remain strong in major high potential markets such as China, Brazil and Russia, Club Med is aiming for one in three customers to come from fast-developing markets by the end of 2015.
First among these will be China, which will become Club Med's second largest market by 2015 with 200,000 customers, five villages (including Guilin, the country's second 4-Trident village which will welcome its first guests in spring 2013) and a new premium resort hotel brand – by Club Med – aligned with local demand. The "by Club Med" large upscale resort-hotels will target Chinese city-dwellers looking for long weekend breaks in the countryside at relatively short distance from their home. They will also serve the meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions (MICE) market.
-- Continue to win market share in France and other mature markets by strengthening premium distribution, upgrading pricing policies to include a family deal with children under 6 staying free, and offering new products such as new Club Med Discovery tours and new Club Med 2 cruises.
-- Promote Club Med brand's unique spirit
In early 2013, Club Med will be launching its new worldwide brand advertising campaign to raise its notoriety, recruit new customers and promote repeat bookings.
To speed up the pace of international expansion, new distribution channels are being developed and the Group is targeting a fourfold increase in the number of Club Med shop-in-shops and franchise outlets (from 50 to 200) by the end of 2015.
-- Optimize the business model
Club Med is taking its upscale strategy a step further, with three-quarters of village capacity set to meet 4 or 5-Trident standards by 2015 including new villages such as Pragelato Vialattea in Italy, Belek in Turkey and Guilin in China that are due to open in 2013. These new destinations will increase the number of year-round permanent villages (or bi-seasonal) with optimum capacity.
In line with the asset-light strategy, most of the current development projects are based on the management contract model, the aim being to improve return on capital employed while also achieving a balance of models for the village portfolio.
The consolidated and parent company financial statements of Club Mediterranee for the fiscal year ended 31 October 2012 were approved by the Board of Directors on 6 December 2012.
These financial statements have been audited and the Auditors' reports are in the process of being prepared.
The fiscal 2012 financial results presentation is available for download at http://www.clubmed-corporate.com.
1 CETO : Cercle d'Etudes des Tours Operateurs (French Tour-Operators Association)
SOURCE Club Med
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch of Docker's initial release in March of 2013, interest was revved up several notches. Then late last...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,802
The only place to be June 9-11 is Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo 2015 East at the Javits Center in New York City. Join us there as delegates from all over the world come to listen to and engage with speakers & sponsors from the leading Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data companies. Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo are the leading events covering the booming market of Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data for the enterprise. Speakers from all over the world will be hand-picked for their ability to explore the economic strategies that utility/cloud computing provides. Whether public, private, or in a hybrid form, clo...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,150
WebRTC is an up-and-coming standard that enables real-time voice and video to be directly embedded into browsers making the browser a primary user interface for communications and collaboration. WebRTC runs in a number of browsers today and is currently supported in over a billion installed browsers globally, across a range of platform OS and devices. Today, organizations that choose to deploy WebRTC applications and use a host machine that supports audio through USB or Bluetooth can use Plantronics products to connect and transit or receive the audio associated with the WebRTC session.
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,863
Internet of Things (IoT) will be a hybrid ecosystem of diverse devices and sensors collaborating with operational and enterprise systems to create the next big application. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Bramh Gupta, founder and CEO of robomq.io, and Fred Yatzeck, principal architect leading product development at robomq.io, will discuss how choosing the right middleware and integration strategy from the get-go will enable IoT solution developers to adapt and grow with the industry, while at the same time reduce Time to Market (TTM) by using plug and play capabilities offered by a robust I...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,954
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what the future may hold. Mike Kavis is Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Pa...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,151
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this case) takes into account the number and quality of contextual references that a user receives.
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,985
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? Join this panel of experts as they peel away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud environment, and we must architect and code accordingly. At the very least, you’ll have no problem filling in your buzzword bingo cards.
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,191
So I guess we’ve officially entered a new era of lean and mean. I say this with the announcement of Ubuntu Snappy Core, “designed for lightweight cloud container hosts running Docker and for smart devices,” according to Canonical. “Snappy Ubuntu Core is the smallest Ubuntu available, designed for security and efficiency in devices or on the cloud.” This first version of Snappy Ubuntu Core features secure app containment and Docker 1.6 (1.5 in main release), is available on public clouds, and for ARM and x86 devices on several IoT boards. It’s a Trend! This announcement comes just as...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,346
SYS-CON Events announced today that AIC, a leading provider of OEM/ODM server and storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AIC is a leading provider of both standard OTS, off-the-shelf, and OEM/ODM server and storage solutions. With expert in-house design capabilities, validation, manufacturing and production, AIC's broad selection of products are highly flexible and are configurable to any form factor or custom configuration. AIC leads the industry with nearly 20 years of ...
Apr. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,906
As enterprises move to all-IP networks and cloud-based applications, communications service providers (CSPs) – facing increased competition from over-the-top providers delivering content via the Internet and independently of CSPs – must be able to offer seamless cloud-based communication and collaboration solutions that can scale for small, midsize, and large enterprises, as well as public sector organizations, in order to keep and grow market share. The latest version of Oracle Communications Unified Communications Suite gives CSPs the capability to do just that. In addition, its integration ...
Apr. 25, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,338
SYS-CON Events announced today that Creative Business Solutions will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Creative Business Solutions is the top stocking authorized HP Renew Distributor in the U.S. Based out of Long Island, NY, Creative Business Solutions offers a one-stop shop for a diverse range of products including Proliant, Blade and Industry Standard Servers, Networking, Server Options and Care Packs. As a trusted supplier, CBS guarantees quality controlled stock levels thanks to an Auto...
Apr. 25, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,338
SOA Software has changed its name to Akana. With roots in Web Services and SOA Governance, Akana has established itself as a leader in API Management and is expanding into cloud integration as an alternative to the traditional heavyweight enterprise service bus (ESB). The company recently announced that it achieved more than 90% year-over-year growth. As Akana, the company now addresses the evolution and diversification of SOA, unifying security, management, and DevOps across SOA, APIs, microservices, and more.
Apr. 25, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,392
The list of ‘new paradigm’ technologies that now surrounds us appears to be at an all time high. From cloud computing and Big Data analytics to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT), today we have to deal with what the industry likes to call ‘paradigm shifts’ at every level of IT. This is disruption; of course, we understand that – change is almost always disruptive.
Apr. 25, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,515
GENBAND introduced its Real Time Communications (RTC) Client for Lync* to seamlessly combine real-time communications with Lync Instant Messaging (IM) and Presence. “We’re shaking up the economics of delivering Unified Communications (UC) and offering a compelling way to integrate previously bespoke communications technologies,” said Carl Baptiste, GENBAND’s Senior Vice President, Enterprise Solutions. “We’re offering enterprises the best of both worlds by combining our own high availability voice, video and collaboration with Lync’s IM and Presence; creating a single, web centric, client. O...
Apr. 25, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,671
After making a doctor’s appointment via your mobile device, you receive a calendar invite. The day of your appointment, you get a reminder with the doctor’s location and contact information. As you enter the doctor’s exam room, the medical team is equipped with the latest tablet containing your medical history – he or she makes real time updates to your medical file. At the end of your visit, you receive an electronic prescription to your preferred pharmacy and can schedule your next appointment.
Apr. 25, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,423
From telemedicine to smart cars, digital homes and industrial monitoring, the explosive growth of IoT has created exciting new business opportunities for real time calls and messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ivelin Ivanov, CEO and Co-Founder of Telestax, shared some of the new revenue sources that IoT created for Restcomm – the open source telephony platform from Telestax. Ivelin Ivanov is a technology entrepreneur who founded Mobicents, an Open Source VoIP Platform, to help create, deploy, and manage applications integrating voice, video and data. He is the co-founder of TeleStax, a...
Apr. 25, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,137
Can call centers hang up the phones for good? Intuitive Solutions did. WebRTC enabled this contact center provider to eliminate antiquated telephony and desktop phone infrastructure with a pure web-based solution, allowing them to expand beyond brick-and-mortar confines to a home-based agent model. It also ensured scalability and better service for customers, including MUY! Companies, one of the country's largest franchise restaurant companies with 232 Pizza Hut locations. This is one example of WebRTC adoption today, but the potential is limitless when powered by IoT.
Apr. 25, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,264
SYS-CON Events announced today that Optimal Design, an Internet of Things solution provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Optimal Design is an award winning product development firm offering industrial design and engineering services to the consumer, medical, and defense markets.
Apr. 25, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,673
How is unified communications transforming the way businesses operate? In his session at WebRTC Summit, Arvind Rangarajan, Director of Product Marketing at BroadSoft, will discuss how to extend unified communications experience outside the enterprise through WebRTC. He will also review use cases across different industry verticals. Arvind Rangarajan is Director, Product Marketing at BroadSoft. He has over 19 years of experience in the telecommunications industry in various roles such as Software Development, Product Management and Product Marketing, applied across Wireless, Unified Communic...
Apr. 25, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,702
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the M2M space. This really allows some room for influential individuals to create more high value inter...
Apr. 25, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,105