|By PR Newswire||
|December 6, 2012 03:15 PM EST||
SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Antenna Group is the nation's largest clean technology public relations firm, representing companies in sectors including renewable energy, energy efficiency, alternative fuels, energy storage, finance, waste management and water. Here, drawn from input provided by our client-partners, is Antenna's list of the top 10 cleantech trends to watch in 2013. According to these trends, 2013 is shaping up to be a year of consolidation, with many innovations from years past gaining mainstream acceptance.
1. "Plug-and-Play" Solar -- The biggest trend in solar is the integration of inverters (the component of a solar system that converts DC power to AC power) and racking systems with solar panels. Instead of being manufactured as separate components, panels, inverters and racking systems are now being manufactured as a single plug-and-play unit. This helps keep manufacturing costs down as well as substantially reducing installation, implementation and operating costs.
2. GTL Technologies Take Off Domestically -- Last year we cited the mainstreaming of gas-to-liquids (GTL) technologies, which transform natural gas into liquid transportation fuels such as gasoline and jet fuel, as one of the top 10 trends as a result of the completion of Shell's giant "Pearl" GTL plant in Qatar. This year, we are seeing that trend beginning to take off domestically with the increased availability of low cost natural gas and new technologies that are making GTL more cost-effective and efficient.
3. The Military Steps Up -- Despite the heat drawn by the military for its investment in alternative fuels, that investment has demonstrated the feasibility of such fuels and highlighted their importance to energy security. The motivation behind the Navy's "Great Green Fleet," for instance, is to reduce vulnerability to oil supply interruptions, not economics, the Pentagon has said. Look for more green initiatives as even the strongest opponents realize that renewables could be the military's secret weapon.
4. Sustainable Products – "I just want to say one word to you -- just one word," Dustin Hoffman was told in the movie, "The Graduate." That word was "plastics." Today it would be bioplastics. Just as a range of biofuels can be made from biomass, so can a range of substitutes for petroleum-based chemicals, including paints, coatings, plastics, lubricants, synthetic rubbers and cosmetics. The increased use of such products can be expected to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, toxic byproducts and disposal problems.
5. Increased Incidence of "Electrotrophobia" -- Electrotrophobia is the name given by a former California regulator to the fear of change caused by greater reliance on intermittent sources of energy such as solar and wind. Faced with load management and reliability issues due to the fact that the wind doesn't always blow and the sun doesn't always shine, utilities are investing in smart grid technologies that will improve the integration of renewables at the transmission, distribution and end-user levels.
6. Corporations Get Religion -- In the past many corporate sustainability initiatives could be categorized as "greenwashing" -- pursued largely for their public relations value. But greenwashing is now giving way to a true commitment to sustainability as the financial case for sustainability gains buy-in the C-suite, as well as among employees, customers, investors and stakeholders. Now needed: sophisticated tools for the measurement and reporting of sustainability performance.
7. New Financing Models for Energy-Efficiency Retrofits -- Buildings consume about 70 percent of the nation's electricity, but only a small percentage of commercial property owners have invested in energy efficiency retrofits. Third-party financing offers the potential to scale such investment. Under a financing model called an Energy Services Agreement (ESA), a lender funds the cost of improvements, pays the electric bill and charges the owner back at historic rates, earning a return via the energy savings.
8. Energy Benchmarking – On a related note, energy benchmarking allows owners of commercial properties to compare data on a building's energy usage to that of similar buildings. In an effort to increase the energy efficiency of older buildings, several large cities have implemented energy benchmarking ordinances. While there is typically no financial penalty for low scores, the perception of a low-scoring building as being less desirable to tenants is a strong motivator for landlords to make capital improvements.
9. Virtual Net Metering -- In many states, solar systems are restricted to generating electricity for the buildings at which they are installed. But new policy initiatives are encouraging virtual net metering (VNM) provisions under which solar power can be used by a group of buildings under a single jurisdiction. The power generated at a school, for instance, can also be used by the police station and the fire department. Look for VNM to accelerate the adoption of solar, especially for public buildings.
10. Emerging Countries Take the Lead: Economic exigencies are compelling many emerging countries to adopt renewables. Saudi Arabia, faced with a finite supply of oil, is looking to meet 30 percent of its energy needs with solar by 2032. Similarly, Morocco has set a goal of meeting 42 percent of its energy needs with renewables by 2020; and the state of Tokelau, a territory of New Zealand, relies almost completely on solar. Look for more emerging countries to leapfrog over fossil fuel-based economies.
For more information on Antenna Group, please visit www.antennagroup.com.
Contact: Denyse Dabrowski, +1-201-465-8005, [email protected]
SOURCE Antenna Group
SYS-CON Events announced today that Peak 10, Inc., a national IT infrastructure and cloud services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored data center and network services, cloud and managed services. Its solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers’ changing business needs, enabling them to lower costs, improve performance and focus inter...
May. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,018
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Apr. 30, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 643
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
Apr. 30, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,072
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
Apr. 30, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 703
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Apr. 30, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,050
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, will discuss how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to im...
Apr. 30, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,665
There is an ever-growing explosion of new devices that are connected to the Internet using “cloud” solutions. This rapid growth is creating a massive new demand for efficient access to data. And it’s not just about connecting to that data anymore. This new demand is bringing new issues and challenges and it is important for companies to scale for the coming growth. And with that scaling comes the need for greater security, gathering and data analysis, storage, connectivity and, of course, the...
Apr. 30, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 749
This is not a small hotel event. It is also not a big vendor party where politicians and entertainers are more important than real content. This is Cloud Expo, the world's longest-running conference and exhibition focused on Cloud Computing and all that it entails. If you want serious presentations and valuable insight about Cloud Computing for three straight days, then register now for Cloud Expo.
Apr. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,706
IoT device adoption is growing at staggering rates, and with it comes opportunity for developers to meet consumer demand for an ever more connected world. Wireless communication is the key part of the encompassing components of any IoT device. Wireless connectivity enhances the device utility at the expense of ease of use and deployment challenges. Since connectivity is fundamental for IoT device development, engineers must understand how to overcome the hurdles inherent in incorporating multipl...
Apr. 30, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,451
The increasing popularity of the Internet of Things necessitates that our physical and cognitive relationship with wearable technology will change rapidly in the near future. This advent means logging has become a thing of the past. Before, it was on us to track our own data, but now that data is automatically available. What does this mean for mHealth and the "connected" body? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Lisa Calkins, CEO and co-founder of Amadeus Consulting, will discuss the impact of wea...
Apr. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 658
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere...
Apr. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,528
Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified – now it's a component-based well-performing framework. This immersive one-day workshop at 18th Cloud Expo, led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and the product company SuranceBay, will provide you with everything you wanted to know about Angular 2.
Apr. 30, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,696
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Apr. 30, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,291
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
Apr. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,465
We’ve worked with dozens of early adopters across numerous industries and will debunk common misperceptions, which starts with understanding that many of the connected products we’ll use over the next 5 years are already products, they’re just not yet connected. With an IoT product, time-in-market provides much more essential feedback than ever before. Innovation comes from what you do with the data that the connected product provides in order to enhance the customer experience and optimize busi...
Apr. 30, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 886
Increasing IoT connectivity is forcing enterprises to find elegant solutions to organize and visualize all incoming data from these connected devices with re-configurable dashboard widgets to effectively allow rapid decision-making for everything from immediate actions in tactical situations to strategic analysis and reporting. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Shikhir Singh, Senior Developer Relations Manager at Sencha, will discuss how to create HTML5 dashboards that interact with IoT devic...
Apr. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 915
Artificial Intelligence has the potential to massively disrupt IoT. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, AJ Abdallat, CEO of Beyond AI, will discuss what the five main drivers are in Artificial Intelligence that could shape the future of the Internet of Things. AJ Abdallat is CEO of Beyond AI. He has over 20 years of management experience in the fields of artificial intelligence, sensors, instruments, devices and software for telecommunications, life sciences, environmental monitoring, process...
Apr. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 885
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ericsson has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Ericsson is a world leader in the rapidly changing environment of communications technology – providing equipment, software and services to enable transformation through mobility. Some 40 percent of global mobile traffic runs through networks we have supplied. More than 1 billion subscribers around the world re...
Apr. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 871
Digital payments using wearable devices such as smart watches, fitness trackers, and payment wristbands are an increasing area of focus for industry participants, and consumer acceptance from early trials and deployments has encouraged some of the biggest names in technology and banking to continue their push to drive growth in this nascent market. Wearable payment systems may utilize near field communication (NFC), radio frequency identification (RFID), or quick response (QR) codes and barcodes...
Apr. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 708
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry's single source for the cloud. Fusion's advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including cloud...
Apr. 30, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,554