|By Marketwired .||
|December 4, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
SUNNYVALE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/04/12 -- AMD (NYSE: AMD) today unveiled nine new mid-range and entry-level AMD Opteron 4300 Series and 3300 Series server processors increasing performance per watt versus the previous generation to maximize compute capabilities in power-constrained environments(1), while delivering outstanding value to cloud providers and web hosts. The AMD Opteron 3300 Series processors provide enterprise-class features in a low power envelope at a desktop processor price, making it ideal for web hosts and small- and medium-sized businesses.
The AMD Opteron 4300 Series processors offer up to 15 percent better performance versus the prior generation, based on SPECint benchmark results(2). And SPECpower results show up to a 24 percent improvement in performance per watt. As with the AMD Opteron 6300 Series processors, these are socket compatible with the previous generation processor, providing an effortless upgrade path for customers.
"The Piledriver core architecture shared by the AMD Opteron 4300 and 3300 Series processors provides optimized performance, power and price for today's customer," said Suresh Gopalakrishnan, general manager, Server Business Unit, AMD. "These new processors are ideal for cloud providers, web hosts and small- and medium-sized businesses who want to address their space and power constraints. With a simple upgrade, existing customers can obtain more performance and improved energy efficiency and new customers will obtain compelling value and ROI."
Extensive Software Support
Deep and broad software ecosystem support is available for the new processors. Several of the key tools include:
- Hypervisors: Citrix XenServer, Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, and VMware vSphere;
- Operating systems: Microsoft Windows, SUSE Linux Enterprise and Red Hat Enterprise Linux;
- Key developer tools: AMD Open64 compilers and AMD Core Math Library, GNU Compiler Collection (GCC), Microsoft Visual Studio 2012, and The Portland Group (PGI) compilers;
- Java virtual machine: AMD Aparapi, OpenJDK Project "Sumatra," Oracle JVM and IBM JVM.
Socket, thermal and chipset consistency with previous generation AMD Opteron 4200 and 3200 Series processors allows OEMs to easily carry forward existing server designs and enables end customers to deploy new server hardware within their existing power and cooling infrastructure. Servers based on the new processors are now available from Supermicro as well as the AMD SeaMicro SM15000 platform. Additional server offerings will soon be available from Dell and others.
"AMD Opteron processor solutions have provided excellent investment return for our customers," said Brian Payne, executive director of Server Solutions, Dell. "The new 4300 and 3300 Series processors in the AMD-based Dell PowerEdge servers maintain this history and are ideal for web service providers who strive to maximize revenue from their server infrastructure and also for small- and medium-businesses who carefully invest to enable growth."
"Supermicro has industry-leading server solutions and motherboards in production supporting AMD Opteron 4300 and 3300 Series processors," said Don Clegg, vice president of Marketing and Business Development at Supermicro. "Working closely with AMD, Supermicro is delivering 1U short-depth SuperServers using the AMD Opteron 4300 and 3300 Series processors, as well as a 3U 12-node MicroCloud optimized for the AMD Opteron 3300 Series processor for hosting and cloud providers. With systems using these new processors and the recently launched AMD Opteron 6300 Series CPU, Supermicro's time-to-market delivery provides customers a full range of Opteron-based solutions that cover extremely cost-sensitive web- and cloud-hosting to high-end HPC applications."
Key Facts, Performance and Technical Detail - AMD Opteron 4300 Series Processors
- Frequency: Up to 3.4 GHz base frequency and up to 3.8 GHz using AMD Turbo CORE technology for performance boost when applications demand it;
- Up to eight cores per socket for scaling on thread-intensive environments;
- As little as 35W TDP for power-constrained environments;
- AMD-P power management features maximize performance per-watt across workloads while giving IT managers more control over their data center power profiles;
- The only x86 processor to support ultra-low voltage 1.25V memory;
- AMD Virtualization (AMD-V) technology for near-native performance in virtualized environments and lowest cost per virtual machine (VM);
- Two memory channels with up to 1866 MHz memory support;
- Supports up to six DIMMs per CPU for up to 192GB memory per processor;
- Up to two x16 HyperTransport technology (HT3) links at up to 6.4GT/s per link.
Key Facts, Performance and Technical Detail - AMD Opteron 3300 Series Processors
- Frequency: Up to 2.8 GHz base frequency and up to 3.8 GHz using AMD Turbo CORE technology for performance boost when applications demand it;
- Up to eight cores per socket for web hosting upsell opportunities;
- As little as 25W TDP for power constrained environments;
- AMD-P power management features maximize performance-per-watt across workloads while giving IT managers more control over their data center power profiles;
- AMD-V technology for low cost virtualization;
- Two memory channels with up to 1866 MHz memory support;
- Supports up to four DIMMs per CPU for up to 32GB memory per processor;
- One x16 HyperTransport technology (HT3) link at up to 5.2GT/s.
- See full performance details;
- Review current pricing;
- Opteron 4300 Series Specifications;
- Opteron 3300 Series Specifications;
- Information on AMD's SeaMicro SM15000 server.
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its ground-breaking AMD Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD's server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD's superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, AMD Opteron, AMD Virtualization, AMD V and combinations thereof, are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
1. Comparison based on 2P SPECpower_ssj2008 data submitted to SPEC as of Nov. 27, 2012: 60.9W at Active Idle, 256W and 971,064 ssj_ops at 100 percent of target load, and 3052 overall ssj_ops/watt using 2 x AMD Opteron processors Model 4386 in Tyan YR190B8228 server, 32GB (4 x 8GB DDR3-1600) memory, YM-2451C power supply, 128GB SATA SSD disk drive, Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 x64 Enterprise Edition SP1. 61.8W at Active Idle, 299W and 870,780 ssj_ops at 100 percent of target load, and 2453 overall ssj_ops/watt using 2 x AMD Opteron processors Model 4284 in Tyan YR190B8228 server, 32GB (4 x 8GB DDR3-1600) memory, YM-2451C power supply, 128GB SATA SSD disk drive, Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 x64 Enterprise Edition SP1. SPEC, SPECpower and SPECpower_ssj are registered trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation. See www.spec.org. SVR-312
2. Comparison based on 2P SPECint_rate2006 data submitted to SPEC as of Nov. 27, 2012. 329, 2 x AMD Opteron processors Model 4386 in Tyan YR190-B8228 server, 64GB (4 x 16GB DDR3-1600) memory, Red Hat Enterprise Linux® Server release 6.3 64-bit, x86 Open64 4.5.2 Compiler Suite. 285, 2 x AMD Opteron processors Model 4284 in Dell PowerEdge R515 server, 32GB (8 x 4GB DDR3-1600) memory, Red Hat Enterprise Linux® Server release 6.1 64-bit, x86 Open64 126.96.36.199 Compiler Suite. SPEC and SPECint are registered trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation. See www.spec.org. SVR-311
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 24, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,054
The best-practices for building IoT applications with Go Code that attendees can use to build their own IoT applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Indraneel Mitra, Senior Solutions Architect & Technology Evangelist at Cognizant, provided valuable information and resources for both novice and experienced developers on how to get started with IoT and Golang in a day. He also provided information on how to use Intel Arduino Kit, Go Robotics API and AWS IoT stack to build an application tha...
Jul. 24, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 876
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Jul. 24, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,052
It’s 2016: buildings are smart, connected and the IoT is fundamentally altering how control and operating systems work and speak to each other. Platforms across the enterprise are networked via inexpensive sensors to collect massive amounts of data for analytics, information management, and insights that can be used to continuously improve operations. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Chemel, Co-Founder and CTO of Digital Lumens, will explore: The benefits sensor-networked systems bring to ...
Jul. 24, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,457
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Jul. 24, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,050
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 24, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,145
"Tintri was started in 2008 with the express purpose of building a storage appliance that is ideal for virtualized environments. We support a lot of different hypervisor platforms from VMware to OpenStack to Hyper-V," explained Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 24, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,812
Is your aging software platform suffering from technical debt while the market changes and demands new solutions at a faster clip? It’s a bold move, but you might consider walking away from your core platform and starting fresh. ReadyTalk did exactly that. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and over a decade of audio conferencing product development to start an innovati...
Jul. 24, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 887
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Jul. 24, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 737
Large scale deployments present unique planning challenges, system commissioning hurdles between IT and OT and demand careful system hand-off orchestration. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Smith, Senior Director and a founding member of Incenergy, will discuss some of the key tactics to ensure delivery success based on his experience of the last two years deploying Industrial IoT systems across four continents.
Jul. 24, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,415
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 24, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,311
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jul. 24, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,875
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jul. 24, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,976
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 24, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,142
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, explained how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
Jul. 24, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 896
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 24, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,225
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 23, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,233
Internet of @ThingsExpo has announced today that Chris Matthieu has been named tech chair of Internet of @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 6thInternet of @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jul. 23, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,868
When people aren’t talking about VMs and containers, they’re talking about serverless architecture. Serverless is about no maintenance. It means you are not worried about low-level infrastructural and operational details. An event-driven serverless platform is a great use case for IoT. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Animesh Singh, an STSM and Lead for IBM Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, will detail how to build a distributed serverless, polyglot, microservices framework using open source tec...
Jul. 23, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,242
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 23, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,446