|By Marketwired .||
|December 4, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
SUNNYVALE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/04/12 -- AMD (NYSE: AMD) today unveiled nine new mid-range and entry-level AMD Opteron 4300 Series and 3300 Series server processors increasing performance per watt versus the previous generation to maximize compute capabilities in power-constrained environments(1), while delivering outstanding value to cloud providers and web hosts. The AMD Opteron 3300 Series processors provide enterprise-class features in a low power envelope at a desktop processor price, making it ideal for web hosts and small- and medium-sized businesses.
The AMD Opteron 4300 Series processors offer up to 15 percent better performance versus the prior generation, based on SPECint benchmark results(2). And SPECpower results show up to a 24 percent improvement in performance per watt. As with the AMD Opteron 6300 Series processors, these are socket compatible with the previous generation processor, providing an effortless upgrade path for customers.
"The Piledriver core architecture shared by the AMD Opteron 4300 and 3300 Series processors provides optimized performance, power and price for today's customer," said Suresh Gopalakrishnan, general manager, Server Business Unit, AMD. "These new processors are ideal for cloud providers, web hosts and small- and medium-sized businesses who want to address their space and power constraints. With a simple upgrade, existing customers can obtain more performance and improved energy efficiency and new customers will obtain compelling value and ROI."
Extensive Software Support
Deep and broad software ecosystem support is available for the new processors. Several of the key tools include:
- Hypervisors: Citrix XenServer, Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, and VMware vSphere;
- Operating systems: Microsoft Windows, SUSE Linux Enterprise and Red Hat Enterprise Linux;
- Key developer tools: AMD Open64 compilers and AMD Core Math Library, GNU Compiler Collection (GCC), Microsoft Visual Studio 2012, and The Portland Group (PGI) compilers;
- Java virtual machine: AMD Aparapi, OpenJDK Project "Sumatra," Oracle JVM and IBM JVM.
Socket, thermal and chipset consistency with previous generation AMD Opteron 4200 and 3200 Series processors allows OEMs to easily carry forward existing server designs and enables end customers to deploy new server hardware within their existing power and cooling infrastructure. Servers based on the new processors are now available from Supermicro as well as the AMD SeaMicro SM15000 platform. Additional server offerings will soon be available from Dell and others.
"AMD Opteron processor solutions have provided excellent investment return for our customers," said Brian Payne, executive director of Server Solutions, Dell. "The new 4300 and 3300 Series processors in the AMD-based Dell PowerEdge servers maintain this history and are ideal for web service providers who strive to maximize revenue from their server infrastructure and also for small- and medium-businesses who carefully invest to enable growth."
"Supermicro has industry-leading server solutions and motherboards in production supporting AMD Opteron 4300 and 3300 Series processors," said Don Clegg, vice president of Marketing and Business Development at Supermicro. "Working closely with AMD, Supermicro is delivering 1U short-depth SuperServers using the AMD Opteron 4300 and 3300 Series processors, as well as a 3U 12-node MicroCloud optimized for the AMD Opteron 3300 Series processor for hosting and cloud providers. With systems using these new processors and the recently launched AMD Opteron 6300 Series CPU, Supermicro's time-to-market delivery provides customers a full range of Opteron-based solutions that cover extremely cost-sensitive web- and cloud-hosting to high-end HPC applications."
Key Facts, Performance and Technical Detail - AMD Opteron 4300 Series Processors
- Frequency: Up to 3.4 GHz base frequency and up to 3.8 GHz using AMD Turbo CORE technology for performance boost when applications demand it;
- Up to eight cores per socket for scaling on thread-intensive environments;
- As little as 35W TDP for power-constrained environments;
- AMD-P power management features maximize performance per-watt across workloads while giving IT managers more control over their data center power profiles;
- The only x86 processor to support ultra-low voltage 1.25V memory;
- AMD Virtualization (AMD-V) technology for near-native performance in virtualized environments and lowest cost per virtual machine (VM);
- Two memory channels with up to 1866 MHz memory support;
- Supports up to six DIMMs per CPU for up to 192GB memory per processor;
- Up to two x16 HyperTransport technology (HT3) links at up to 6.4GT/s per link.
Key Facts, Performance and Technical Detail - AMD Opteron 3300 Series Processors
- Frequency: Up to 2.8 GHz base frequency and up to 3.8 GHz using AMD Turbo CORE technology for performance boost when applications demand it;
- Up to eight cores per socket for web hosting upsell opportunities;
- As little as 25W TDP for power constrained environments;
- AMD-P power management features maximize performance-per-watt across workloads while giving IT managers more control over their data center power profiles;
- AMD-V technology for low cost virtualization;
- Two memory channels with up to 1866 MHz memory support;
- Supports up to four DIMMs per CPU for up to 32GB memory per processor;
- One x16 HyperTransport technology (HT3) link at up to 5.2GT/s.
- See full performance details;
- Review current pricing;
- Opteron 4300 Series Specifications;
- Opteron 3300 Series Specifications;
- Information on AMD's SeaMicro SM15000 server.
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its ground-breaking AMD Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD's server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD's superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, AMD Opteron, AMD Virtualization, AMD V and combinations thereof, are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
1. Comparison based on 2P SPECpower_ssj2008 data submitted to SPEC as of Nov. 27, 2012: 60.9W at Active Idle, 256W and 971,064 ssj_ops at 100 percent of target load, and 3052 overall ssj_ops/watt using 2 x AMD Opteron processors Model 4386 in Tyan YR190B8228 server, 32GB (4 x 8GB DDR3-1600) memory, YM-2451C power supply, 128GB SATA SSD disk drive, Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 x64 Enterprise Edition SP1. 61.8W at Active Idle, 299W and 870,780 ssj_ops at 100 percent of target load, and 2453 overall ssj_ops/watt using 2 x AMD Opteron processors Model 4284 in Tyan YR190B8228 server, 32GB (4 x 8GB DDR3-1600) memory, YM-2451C power supply, 128GB SATA SSD disk drive, Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 x64 Enterprise Edition SP1. SPEC, SPECpower and SPECpower_ssj are registered trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation. See www.spec.org. SVR-312
2. Comparison based on 2P SPECint_rate2006 data submitted to SPEC as of Nov. 27, 2012. 329, 2 x AMD Opteron processors Model 4386 in Tyan YR190-B8228 server, 64GB (4 x 16GB DDR3-1600) memory, Red Hat Enterprise Linux® Server release 6.3 64-bit, x86 Open64 4.5.2 Compiler Suite. 285, 2 x AMD Opteron processors Model 4284 in Dell PowerEdge R515 server, 32GB (8 x 4GB DDR3-1600) memory, Red Hat Enterprise Linux® Server release 6.1 64-bit, x86 Open64 22.214.171.124 Compiler Suite. SPEC and SPECint are registered trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation. See www.spec.org. SVR-311
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, provided an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profession...
Jun. 30, 2016 09:33 AM EDT
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Jun. 30, 2016 09:02 AM EDT Reads: 116
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jun. 30, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 417
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2016' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited t...
Jun. 30, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 340
Apixio Inc. has raised $19.3 million in Series D venture capital funding led by SSM Partners with participation from First Analysis, Bain Capital Ventures and Apixio’s largest angel investor. Apixio will dedicate the proceeds toward advancing and scaling products powered by its cognitive computing platform, further enabling insights for optimal patient care. The Series D funding comes as Apixio experiences strong momentum and increasing demand for its HCC Profiler solution, which mines unstruc...
Jun. 30, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 557
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Jun. 30, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 545
Internet of @ThingsExpo has announced today that Chris Matthieu has been named tech chair of Internet of @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 6thInternet of @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 30, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 436
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 29, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,062
"We work in the area of Big Data analytics and Big Data analytics is a very crowded space - you have Hadoop, ETL, warehousing, visualization and there's a lot of effort trying to get these tools to talk to each other," explained Mukund Deshpande, head of the Analytics practice at Accelerite, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 479
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jun. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 508
The idea of comparing data in motion (at the sensor level) to data at rest (in a Big Data server warehouse) with predictive analytics in the cloud is very appealing to the industrial IoT sector. The problem Big Data vendors have, however, is access to that data in motion at the sensor location. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Scott Allen, CMO of FreeWave, discussed how as IoT is increasingly adopted by industrial markets, there is going to be an increased demand for sensor data from the outermos...
Jun. 29, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 422
UAS, drones or unmanned aircraft, no matter what you call them — this was their week. Our news stream was flooded with updates on the newly announced rules and regulations for commercial UAS from the FAA. So, naturally we have dedicated this week’s top news round up to highlight some of our favorite UAS stories.
Jun. 29, 2016 03:02 PM EDT Reads: 325
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jun. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 689
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jun. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 442
When people aren’t talking about VMs and containers, they’re talking about serverless architecture. Serverless is about no maintenance. It means you are not worried about low-level infrastructural and operational details. An event-driven serverless platform is a great use case for IoT. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Animesh Singh, an STSM and Lead for IBM Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, will detail how to build a distributed serverless, polyglot, microservices framework using open source tec...
Jun. 29, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 581
Presidio has received the 2015 EMC Partner Services Quality Award from EMC Corporation for achieving outstanding service excellence and customer satisfaction as measured by the EMC Partner Services Quality (PSQ) program. Presidio was also honored as the 2015 EMC Americas Marketing Excellence Partner of the Year and 2015 Mid-Market East Partner of the Year. The EMC PSQ program is a project-specific survey program designed for partners with Service Partner designations to solicit customer feedbac...
Jun. 29, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 614
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jun. 29, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 527
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Jun. 29, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 581
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 29, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 532
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 29, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,314