|By PR Newswire||
|November 29, 2012 06:30 PM EST||
VANCOUVER, November 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
TSX.V Symbol: "WND"
OTCQX Symbol: "WNDEF"
Issued and Outstanding: 69,449,541
Western Wind Energy Corp. (the "Company") reported today, its unaudited condensed interim consolidated financial results for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012. For complete details of the third quarter Condensed Interim Consolidated Financial Statements and related Management's Discussion and Analysis, please see the Company's filings on SEDAR (http://www.sedar.com) or on EDGAR (http://www.sec.gov). All amounts herein are reported in U.S. dollars unless otherwise specified.
- On July 30, 2012, the Company announced that it would be seeking a buyer for the Company and its assets. On August 10, 2012, the Company announced that it had engaged Rothschild (Canada) Inc. as its lead financial advisor to manage and structure a comprehensive and efficient auction process, with PI Financial Corp. engaged as a co-advisor. On October 24, 2012, the Company announced that the auction process was progressing as planned, with a limited number of bidders having been invited to conduct a second round of very extensive due diligence, as well as the addition of new participants as the proxy battle caused at least 8 weeks of delay in the auction process due to the uncertainty caused by a proxy battle. On November 23, 2012, Brookfield Renewable Energy Partners L.P. ("Brookfield"), announced Brookfield's intention to make an offer to acquire all of the outstanding common shares of the Company for cash consideration of C$2.50 per share (the "Brookfield Offer"). On November 26, 2012, the Company issued an announcement to highlight that some of the initial expressions received from auction participants that are currently conducting due diligence in the second round of the process, would imply a value significantly greater than the Brookfield Offer. There is no guarantee that any of the initial expressions of interest received by the Company will result in a formal offer being made or a binding agreement being entered into at this time.
- The Company's generating facilities produced operating revenues of $8,353,723 (2011 - $747,281) and $27,641,941 (2011 - $2,305,843) for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012, respectively.
- For the three months ended September 30, 2012, net earnings improved significantly to $8,524,018, or $0.13 per share, compared to a net loss of ($1,581,610) (negative $0.03 per share) for the same period in 2011. For the nine months, net earnings increased to $10,254,631, or $0.16 per share compared to a net loss of ($3,214,675) (negative $0.06 per share) for the same period in 2011.
- For the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012, adjusted earnings before interest, income taxes, depreciation and amortization, and other expenses or income ("Adjusted EBITDA") increased to a loss of $(788,828), or a negative $0.01 per share,compared to loss of $(1,282,278) (negative $0.02 per share), and increased to $12,121,114, or a positive $0.19 per share, compared to a loss of $(2,842,028) (negative $0.04 per share) the 2011 comparative periods.
- On July 16, 2012, the Company received $78,334,713 in tax free cash grant under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code Section 1603 in connection with its 120MW Windstar project. $68,933,897 was used to repay Windstar bridge financing, $5,248,127 was used to increase the debt service reserve account and $4,710,468 was set aside in restricted cash for the ongoing arbitration between the Company and its deferred financing vendor. The amount awarded was $12,221,994 less than the $90,556,707 included in the Company's application and the Company has subsequently provided further supporting documentation to the Department of Treasury to support and request this shortfall. Ongoing communication and numerous discussions with the Department of Treasury have been positive to-date. While the Company is hopeful that an additional amount will be received, the timing and amount are uncertain and therefore the Company has not accrued this shortfall in its financial statements as at September 30, 2012.
- On October 31, 2012, the Company was in compliance with its Windstar senior secured notes agreement covenants and received its first distribution of $2,307,622.
- On November 16, 2012, the Company's subsidiary Western Wind Energy US Corporation closed a $25,000,000 corporate loan. The corporate loan is structured in two parts, with the first draw of $15,000,000 being available immediately for repayment of the Company's existing corporate bridge financing, and is secured by a lien on future Windstar cash distributions and an equity interest in its direct borrowing subsidiaries. The term of the loan will be for five (5) years and with an interest rate hedge, the annual interest rate will not exceed 11.5% for the term of the loan. The second commitment of $10,000,000 would be available to partially fund the Company's equity contribution and/or the REC promissory note to the Yabucoa solar project and to facilitate financial close of project financing, and will be secured by a lien on future Yabucoa cash distributions and an equity interest in its direct borrowing subsidiaries. The Yabucoa commitment under the corporate loan agreement expires May 16, 2013 and a commitment fee of 4% per annum is charged on the undrawn amount. As partial consideration for advancing the loan, the Company issued to the Lender an aggregate of 400,000 share purchase warrants for a five (5) year term and an exercise price of $2.50 per share for a period of five (5) years after the date the Lender's Warrants are issued. In addition, the Company will grant the Lender a security interest in and to certain of its projects and assets as security for the facility.
- On November 16, 2012 the Company received $15,000,000 from its first draw on the corporate loan. These proceeds were used to pay the arrangement fee, transactions costs and to repay the following corporate bridge financing, extinguishing all terms and conditions of the respective agreements; the $778,287 loan was repaid; the $2,220,000 loan was repaid, the $2,764,395 loan was repaid, and a partial payment of $4,373,498 was paid on the $5,070,840 loan.
SELECTED QUARTERLY INFORMATION Three Months Ended Nine Months Ended September 30 September 30 2012 2011 2012 2011 $ $ $ $ Total operating revenues 8,353,723 747,281 27,641,941 2,305,843 Adjusted EBITDA (788,828) (1,282,278) 12,121,114 (2,842,028) Net earnings (loss) 8,524,018 (1,581,610) 10,254,631 (3,214,675) Adjusted EBITDA per share - Basic $ (0.01) $ (0.02) $ 0.19 $ (0.05) - Diluted $ (0.01) $ (0.02) $ 0.19 $ (0.05) Earnings (loss) per share - Basic $ 0.13 $ (0.03) $ 0.16 $ (0.06) - Diluted $ 0.13 $ (0.03) $ 0.16 $ (0.06) Weighted average commons shares outstanding - Basic 65,745,516 59,850,396 63,519,756 58,180,213 - Diluted 67,163,980 59,850,396 64,709,149 58,180,213
RESULTS OF OPERATIONS
For the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012, operating revenues increased from $747,281 to $8,353,723, and from $2,305,843 to $27,641,941, compared to operating revenues for the 2011 comparative periods, respectively. This increase in operating revenues was driven by a 408% increase in energy production to 63,944MWh (2011 - 12,591MWh) and by a 389% increase in energy production to 234,202MWh (2011 - 47,914MWh) for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012, respectively, due to the additional energy production and sales from the newly operational Windstar and Kingman generating facilities.
For the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012, adjusted earnings before interest, income taxes, depreciation and amortization, and other expenses or income ("Adjusted EBITDA") increased to a loss of $(788,828), or a negative $0.01 per share, compared to a loss of $(1,282,278) (negative $0.01 per share) and increased to $12,121,114, or a positive $0.19 per share, compared to a loss of $(2,842,028) (negative $0.05 per share) the 2011 comparative periods.
Net Earnings (Loss)
For the three and none months ended September 30, 2012, net earnings increased to $8,524,018, or a positive $0.13 per share, compared to a net loss of $(1,581,610), or a loss of $(0.03) per share, and to $10,254,621, or a positive $0.16 per share, compared to a net loss of $(3,214,675), or a loss of $(0.06) per share.
NON-GAAP PERFORMANCE MEASURES
Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA per share, are non-GAAP performance measures that management uses to assess the amount of cash generated by the Company, and to measure the operating performance of the Company, excluding the effects of interest, income taxes, depreciation and amortization, and other expenses or income. Management measures performance, excluding these items, as they may be non-cash, unusual in nature, and/or are not factors used by management for evaluating the operating performance of the Company. Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA per share, are not recognized measures under GAAP, and therefore, may not be comparable with those presented by other reporting issuers. Further, Adjusted EBITDA is not intended to be representative of cash flows from operating activities or the results of operations as determined in accordance with GAAP. However, the Company believes that these measures are important, as they provide management and the reader with additional information about its operating, and cash generating capabilities, and facilitates the comparison of results over different periods.
ABOUT WESTERN WIND ENERGY CORP.
Western Wind Energy is a vertically integrated renewable energy production company that currently owns wind and solar generation facilities with 165MW of rated capacity in production, in the States of California and Arizona. Western Wind further owns substantial development assets for both solar and wind energy in the U.S. and Canada. The Company is headquartered in Vancouver, BC and has branch offices in Scottsdale, Arizona and Tehachapi, California. Western Wind trades on the Toronto Venture Exchange under the symbol "WND", and in the United States on the OTCQX under the symbol "WNDEF".
The Company owns and operates three wind energy generation facilities in California, and one fully integrated combined wind and solar energy generation facility in Arizona. The three operating wind generation facilities in California are comprised of the 120MW Windstar, 4.5MW Windridge facilities in Tehachapi, and the 30MW Mesa wind generation facility near Palm Springs. The facility in Arizona is the Company's 10.5MW Kingman integrated solar and wind facility. The Company is further developing wind and solar energy projects in California, Arizona, and Puerto Rico.
ON BEHALF OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Jeffrey J. Ciachurski
President & Chief Executive Officer
Neither the TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.
CAUTIONARY STATEMENT ON FORWARD-LOOKING INFORMATION
This news release contains certain statements that may be considered "forward-looking statements, such as references to the intended sale of Western Wind Energy Corp. and its assets. Forward looking statements are statements that are not historical facts and are generally, but not always, identified by the words "expects", "plans", "anticipates", "believes", "intends", "estimates", "projects", "potential" and similar expressions, or that events or conditions "will", "would", "may", "could" or "should" occur. The forward-looking statements in this press release include statements regarding the intention of the Company to complete the sale of the Company or its assets. The forward-looking statements included in this press release are based on reasonable assumptions, including that the Company will be able to successfully identify a prospective buyer, negotiate the terms of sale and satisfy all conditions required to complete the sale. Factors that may cause results to vary from anticipations include the risk that the proxy dispute with Sativr may disrupt and impede the sale process, the risk that the Company may not be able to successfully identify a buyer, negotiate acceptable terms or obtain all applicable government, regulatory and shareholder consents required to complete the sale, that the terms of those consents may not be acceptable to the Company, or, assuming the Company is able to successfully complete the sale, the Company is not able to achieve expected results following such sale. Although Western Wind Energy Corp. believes the expectations expressed in the forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, such statements are not guarantees of future performance and actual results may differ materially from those contained in forward looking statements. Forward looking statements are based on the beliefs, estimates and opinions of Western Wind Energy Corp.'s management on the date the statements are made. Western Wind Energy Corp. undertakes no obligation to update these forward-looking statements in the event that management's beliefs, estimates or opinions, or other factors, should change, except as required by law.
 Refer to "Non-GAAP Performance Measures"
For further information:
Investor Relations Contact:
Tel: +1(416) 992-7227
Email: [email protected]
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada. Our partner network encompasses some 300 of the world's leading systems integrators and security s...
Dec. 21, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,688
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, phone and digital TV services to consumers primarily in rural areas.
Dec. 21, 2014 08:30 AM EST Reads: 2,891
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's platform-as-a-service. The new platform enables developers to build ap...
Dec. 21, 2014 06:15 AM EST Reads: 3,227
The BPM world is going through some evolution or changes where traditional business process management solutions really have nowhere to go in terms of development of the road map. In this demo at 15th Cloud Expo, Kyle Hansen, Director of Professional Services at AgilePoint, shows AgilePoint’s unique approach to dealing with this market circumstance by developing a rapid application composition or development framework.
Dec. 20, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 2,019
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 20, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 2,553
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com), moderated by Ashar Baig, Research Director, Cloud, at Gigaom Research, Nate Gordon, Director of T...
Dec. 20, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 3,099
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover how hardware commoditization, the ubiquitous nature of connectivity, and the emergence of Big Data a...
Dec. 20, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,978
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 20, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 2,175
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete at launch. DevOps may be disruptive, but it is essential.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:45 PM EST Reads: 1,905
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 2,311
Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa, at more than US$500 billion, and ranks 23rd in the world. A recent re-evaluation of Nigeria's true economic size doubled the previous estimate, and brought it well ahead of South Africa, which is a member (unlike Nigeria) of the G20 club for political as well as economic reasons. Nigeria's economy can be said to be quite diverse from one point of view, but heavily dependent on oil and gas at the same time. Oil and natural gas account for about 15% of Nigera's overall economy, but traditionally represent more than 90% of the country's exports and as...
Dec. 18, 2014 06:00 AM EST Reads: 1,355
The Internet of Things is a misnomer. That implies that everything is on the Internet, and that simply should not be - especially for things that are blurring the line between medical devices that stimulate like a pacemaker and quantified self-sensors like a pedometer or pulse tracker. The mesh of things that we manage must be segmented into zones of trust for sensing data, transmitting data, receiving command and control administrative changes, and peer-to-peer mesh messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Bagnulo, Solution Architect / Software Engineer at SOA Software, focused on desi...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:15 PM EST Reads: 2,276
"At our booth we are showing how to provide trust in the Internet of Things. Trust is where everything starts to become secure and trustworthy. Now with the scaling of the Internet of Things it becomes an interesting question – I've heard numbers from 200 billion devices next year up to a trillion in the next 10 to 15 years," explained Johannes Lintzen, Vice President of Sales at Utimaco, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 2,275
"For over 25 years we have been working with a lot of enterprise customers and we have seen how companies create applications. And now that we have moved to cloud computing, mobile, social and the Internet of Things, we see that the market needs a new way of creating applications," stated Jesse Shiah, CEO, President and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 2,270
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the industry’s first all flash version of HyperConverged Appliances that include both compute and storag...
Dec. 17, 2014 06:30 PM EST Reads: 2,223
Today’s enterprise is being driven by disruptive competitive and human capital requirements to provide enterprise application access through not only desktops, but also mobile devices. To retrofit existing programs across all these devices using traditional programming methods is very costly and time consuming – often prohibitively so. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO, President, and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., discussed how you can create applications that run on all mobile devices as well as laptops and desktops using a visual drag-and-drop application – and eForms-buildi...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:45 AM EST Reads: 2,366
We certainly live in interesting technological times. And no more interesting than the current competing IoT standards for connectivity. Various standards bodies, approaches, and ecosystems are vying for mindshare and positioning for a competitive edge. It is clear that when the dust settles, we will have new protocols, evolved protocols, that will change the way we interact with devices and infrastructure. We will also have evolved web protocols, like HTTP/2, that will be changing the very core of our infrastructures. At the same time, we have old approaches made new again like micro-services...
Dec. 16, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 2,244
Code Halos - aka "digital fingerprints" - are the key organizing principle to understand a) how dumb things become smart and b) how to monetize this dynamic. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Brown, AVP, Center for the Future of Work at Cognizant Technology Solutions, outlined research, analysis and recommendations from his recently published book on this phenomena on the way leading edge organizations like GE and Disney are unlocking the Internet of Things opportunity and what steps your organization should be taking to position itself for the next platform of digital competition.
Dec. 15, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 2,635
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Dec. 15, 2014 10:30 AM EST Reads: 8,214
As the Internet of Things unfolds, mobile and wearable devices are blurring the line between physical and digital, integrating ever more closely with our interests, our routines, our daily lives. Contextual computing and smart, sensor-equipped spaces bring the potential to walk through a world that recognizes us and responds accordingly. We become continuous transmitters and receivers of data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Bolwell, Director of Innovation for HP's Printing and Personal Systems Group, discussed how key attributes of mobile technology – touch input, sensors, social, and ...
Dec. 15, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 3,345