|By PR Newswire||
|November 29, 2012 06:30 PM EST||
VANCOUVER, November 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
TSX.V Symbol: "WND"
OTCQX Symbol: "WNDEF"
Issued and Outstanding: 69,449,541
Western Wind Energy Corp. (the "Company") reported today, its unaudited condensed interim consolidated financial results for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012. For complete details of the third quarter Condensed Interim Consolidated Financial Statements and related Management's Discussion and Analysis, please see the Company's filings on SEDAR (http://www.sedar.com) or on EDGAR (http://www.sec.gov). All amounts herein are reported in U.S. dollars unless otherwise specified.
- On July 30, 2012, the Company announced that it would be seeking a buyer for the Company and its assets. On August 10, 2012, the Company announced that it had engaged Rothschild (Canada) Inc. as its lead financial advisor to manage and structure a comprehensive and efficient auction process, with PI Financial Corp. engaged as a co-advisor. On October 24, 2012, the Company announced that the auction process was progressing as planned, with a limited number of bidders having been invited to conduct a second round of very extensive due diligence, as well as the addition of new participants as the proxy battle caused at least 8 weeks of delay in the auction process due to the uncertainty caused by a proxy battle. On November 23, 2012, Brookfield Renewable Energy Partners L.P. ("Brookfield"), announced Brookfield's intention to make an offer to acquire all of the outstanding common shares of the Company for cash consideration of C$2.50 per share (the "Brookfield Offer"). On November 26, 2012, the Company issued an announcement to highlight that some of the initial expressions received from auction participants that are currently conducting due diligence in the second round of the process, would imply a value significantly greater than the Brookfield Offer. There is no guarantee that any of the initial expressions of interest received by the Company will result in a formal offer being made or a binding agreement being entered into at this time.
- The Company's generating facilities produced operating revenues of $8,353,723 (2011 - $747,281) and $27,641,941 (2011 - $2,305,843) for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012, respectively.
- For the three months ended September 30, 2012, net earnings improved significantly to $8,524,018, or $0.13 per share, compared to a net loss of ($1,581,610) (negative $0.03 per share) for the same period in 2011. For the nine months, net earnings increased to $10,254,631, or $0.16 per share compared to a net loss of ($3,214,675) (negative $0.06 per share) for the same period in 2011.
- For the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012, adjusted earnings before interest, income taxes, depreciation and amortization, and other expenses or income ("Adjusted EBITDA") increased to a loss of $(788,828), or a negative $0.01 per share,compared to loss of $(1,282,278) (negative $0.02 per share), and increased to $12,121,114, or a positive $0.19 per share, compared to a loss of $(2,842,028) (negative $0.04 per share) the 2011 comparative periods.
- On July 16, 2012, the Company received $78,334,713 in tax free cash grant under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code Section 1603 in connection with its 120MW Windstar project. $68,933,897 was used to repay Windstar bridge financing, $5,248,127 was used to increase the debt service reserve account and $4,710,468 was set aside in restricted cash for the ongoing arbitration between the Company and its deferred financing vendor. The amount awarded was $12,221,994 less than the $90,556,707 included in the Company's application and the Company has subsequently provided further supporting documentation to the Department of Treasury to support and request this shortfall. Ongoing communication and numerous discussions with the Department of Treasury have been positive to-date. While the Company is hopeful that an additional amount will be received, the timing and amount are uncertain and therefore the Company has not accrued this shortfall in its financial statements as at September 30, 2012.
- On October 31, 2012, the Company was in compliance with its Windstar senior secured notes agreement covenants and received its first distribution of $2,307,622.
- On November 16, 2012, the Company's subsidiary Western Wind Energy US Corporation closed a $25,000,000 corporate loan. The corporate loan is structured in two parts, with the first draw of $15,000,000 being available immediately for repayment of the Company's existing corporate bridge financing, and is secured by a lien on future Windstar cash distributions and an equity interest in its direct borrowing subsidiaries. The term of the loan will be for five (5) years and with an interest rate hedge, the annual interest rate will not exceed 11.5% for the term of the loan. The second commitment of $10,000,000 would be available to partially fund the Company's equity contribution and/or the REC promissory note to the Yabucoa solar project and to facilitate financial close of project financing, and will be secured by a lien on future Yabucoa cash distributions and an equity interest in its direct borrowing subsidiaries. The Yabucoa commitment under the corporate loan agreement expires May 16, 2013 and a commitment fee of 4% per annum is charged on the undrawn amount. As partial consideration for advancing the loan, the Company issued to the Lender an aggregate of 400,000 share purchase warrants for a five (5) year term and an exercise price of $2.50 per share for a period of five (5) years after the date the Lender's Warrants are issued. In addition, the Company will grant the Lender a security interest in and to certain of its projects and assets as security for the facility.
- On November 16, 2012 the Company received $15,000,000 from its first draw on the corporate loan. These proceeds were used to pay the arrangement fee, transactions costs and to repay the following corporate bridge financing, extinguishing all terms and conditions of the respective agreements; the $778,287 loan was repaid; the $2,220,000 loan was repaid, the $2,764,395 loan was repaid, and a partial payment of $4,373,498 was paid on the $5,070,840 loan.
SELECTED QUARTERLY INFORMATION Three Months Ended Nine Months Ended September 30 September 30 2012 2011 2012 2011 $ $ $ $ Total operating revenues 8,353,723 747,281 27,641,941 2,305,843 Adjusted EBITDA (788,828) (1,282,278) 12,121,114 (2,842,028) Net earnings (loss) 8,524,018 (1,581,610) 10,254,631 (3,214,675) Adjusted EBITDA per share - Basic $ (0.01) $ (0.02) $ 0.19 $ (0.05) - Diluted $ (0.01) $ (0.02) $ 0.19 $ (0.05) Earnings (loss) per share - Basic $ 0.13 $ (0.03) $ 0.16 $ (0.06) - Diluted $ 0.13 $ (0.03) $ 0.16 $ (0.06) Weighted average commons shares outstanding - Basic 65,745,516 59,850,396 63,519,756 58,180,213 - Diluted 67,163,980 59,850,396 64,709,149 58,180,213
RESULTS OF OPERATIONS
For the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012, operating revenues increased from $747,281 to $8,353,723, and from $2,305,843 to $27,641,941, compared to operating revenues for the 2011 comparative periods, respectively. This increase in operating revenues was driven by a 408% increase in energy production to 63,944MWh (2011 - 12,591MWh) and by a 389% increase in energy production to 234,202MWh (2011 - 47,914MWh) for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012, respectively, due to the additional energy production and sales from the newly operational Windstar and Kingman generating facilities.
For the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012, adjusted earnings before interest, income taxes, depreciation and amortization, and other expenses or income ("Adjusted EBITDA") increased to a loss of $(788,828), or a negative $0.01 per share, compared to a loss of $(1,282,278) (negative $0.01 per share) and increased to $12,121,114, or a positive $0.19 per share, compared to a loss of $(2,842,028) (negative $0.05 per share) the 2011 comparative periods.
Net Earnings (Loss)
For the three and none months ended September 30, 2012, net earnings increased to $8,524,018, or a positive $0.13 per share, compared to a net loss of $(1,581,610), or a loss of $(0.03) per share, and to $10,254,621, or a positive $0.16 per share, compared to a net loss of $(3,214,675), or a loss of $(0.06) per share.
NON-GAAP PERFORMANCE MEASURES
Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA per share, are non-GAAP performance measures that management uses to assess the amount of cash generated by the Company, and to measure the operating performance of the Company, excluding the effects of interest, income taxes, depreciation and amortization, and other expenses or income. Management measures performance, excluding these items, as they may be non-cash, unusual in nature, and/or are not factors used by management for evaluating the operating performance of the Company. Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA per share, are not recognized measures under GAAP, and therefore, may not be comparable with those presented by other reporting issuers. Further, Adjusted EBITDA is not intended to be representative of cash flows from operating activities or the results of operations as determined in accordance with GAAP. However, the Company believes that these measures are important, as they provide management and the reader with additional information about its operating, and cash generating capabilities, and facilitates the comparison of results over different periods.
ABOUT WESTERN WIND ENERGY CORP.
Western Wind Energy is a vertically integrated renewable energy production company that currently owns wind and solar generation facilities with 165MW of rated capacity in production, in the States of California and Arizona. Western Wind further owns substantial development assets for both solar and wind energy in the U.S. and Canada. The Company is headquartered in Vancouver, BC and has branch offices in Scottsdale, Arizona and Tehachapi, California. Western Wind trades on the Toronto Venture Exchange under the symbol "WND", and in the United States on the OTCQX under the symbol "WNDEF".
The Company owns and operates three wind energy generation facilities in California, and one fully integrated combined wind and solar energy generation facility in Arizona. The three operating wind generation facilities in California are comprised of the 120MW Windstar, 4.5MW Windridge facilities in Tehachapi, and the 30MW Mesa wind generation facility near Palm Springs. The facility in Arizona is the Company's 10.5MW Kingman integrated solar and wind facility. The Company is further developing wind and solar energy projects in California, Arizona, and Puerto Rico.
ON BEHALF OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Jeffrey J. Ciachurski
President & Chief Executive Officer
Neither the TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.
CAUTIONARY STATEMENT ON FORWARD-LOOKING INFORMATION
This news release contains certain statements that may be considered "forward-looking statements, such as references to the intended sale of Western Wind Energy Corp. and its assets. Forward looking statements are statements that are not historical facts and are generally, but not always, identified by the words "expects", "plans", "anticipates", "believes", "intends", "estimates", "projects", "potential" and similar expressions, or that events or conditions "will", "would", "may", "could" or "should" occur. The forward-looking statements in this press release include statements regarding the intention of the Company to complete the sale of the Company or its assets. The forward-looking statements included in this press release are based on reasonable assumptions, including that the Company will be able to successfully identify a prospective buyer, negotiate the terms of sale and satisfy all conditions required to complete the sale. Factors that may cause results to vary from anticipations include the risk that the proxy dispute with Sativr may disrupt and impede the sale process, the risk that the Company may not be able to successfully identify a buyer, negotiate acceptable terms or obtain all applicable government, regulatory and shareholder consents required to complete the sale, that the terms of those consents may not be acceptable to the Company, or, assuming the Company is able to successfully complete the sale, the Company is not able to achieve expected results following such sale. Although Western Wind Energy Corp. believes the expectations expressed in the forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, such statements are not guarantees of future performance and actual results may differ materially from those contained in forward looking statements. Forward looking statements are based on the beliefs, estimates and opinions of Western Wind Energy Corp.'s management on the date the statements are made. Western Wind Energy Corp. undertakes no obligation to update these forward-looking statements in the event that management's beliefs, estimates or opinions, or other factors, should change, except as required by law.
 Refer to "Non-GAAP Performance Measures"
For further information:
Investor Relations Contact:
Tel: +1(416) 992-7227
Email: [email protected]
SYS-CON Events announced today that Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Avere delivers a more modern architectural approach to storage that doesn’t require the overprovisioning of storage capacity to achieve performance, overspending on expensive storage media for inactive data or the overbuilding of data centers ...
Feb. 10, 2016 09:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 10, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 425
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 10, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 395
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
Feb. 10, 2016 01:15 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:15 PM EST Reads: 425
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 620
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 10, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 190
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 10, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 249
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 10, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 108
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 10, 2016 10:30 AM EST Reads: 223
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 10, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 386
As enterprises work to take advantage of Big Data technologies, they frequently become distracted by product-level decisions. In most new Big Data builds this approach is completely counter-productive: it presupposes tools that may not be a fit for development teams, forces IT to take on the burden of evaluating and maintaining unfamiliar technology, and represents a major up-front expense. In his session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Warfield, CTO and Co-Founder of Coho Data, will dis...
Feb. 10, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 186
SYS-CON Events announced today that iDevices®, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. iDevices, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, has a growing line of HomeKit-enabled products available at the largest retailers worldwide. Through the “Designed with iDevices” co-development program and its custom-built IoT Cloud Infrastruc...
Feb. 10, 2016 08:00 AM EST
Eighty percent of a data scientist’s time is spent gathering and cleaning up data, and 80% of all data is unstructured and almost never analyzed. Cognitive computing, in combination with Big Data, is changing the equation by creating data reservoirs and using natural language processing to enable analysis of unstructured data sources. This is impacting every aspect of the analytics profession from how data is mined (and by whom) to how it is delivered. This is not some futuristic vision: it's ha...
Feb. 10, 2016 07:45 AM EST Reads: 439
Silver Spring Networks, Inc. (NYSE: SSNI) extended its Internet of Things technology platform with performance enhancements to Gen5 – its fifth generation critical infrastructure networking platform. Already delivering nearly 23 million devices on five continents as one of the leading networking providers in the market, Silver Spring announced it is doubling the maximum speed of its Gen5 network to up to 2.4 Mbps, increasing computational performance by 10x, supporting simultaneous mesh communic...
Feb. 10, 2016 07:00 AM EST
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 205
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 218
One of the bewildering things about DevOps is integrating the massive toolchain including the dozens of new tools that seem to crop up every year. Part of DevOps is Continuous Delivery and having a complex toolchain can add additional integration and setup to your developer environment. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Miko Matsumura, Chief Marketing Officer of Gradle Inc., will discuss which tools to use in a developer stack, how to provision the toolchain to minimize onboa...
Feb. 9, 2016 07:45 AM EST Reads: 108
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry's single source for the cloud. Fusion's advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including clou...
Feb. 6, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 768
Most people haven’t heard the word, “gamification,” even though they probably, and perhaps unwittingly, participate in it every day. Gamification is “the process of adding games or game-like elements to something (as a task) so as to encourage participation.” Further, gamification is about bringing game mechanics – rules, constructs, processes, and methods – into the real world in an effort to engage people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Endo, owner and engagement manager of Intrepid D...
Feb. 5, 2016 09:00 PM EST Reads: 830