|By PR Newswire||
|November 14, 2012 06:21 PM EST||
OAKVILLE, ON, Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp. ("APUC") (TSX: AQN), today announced financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2012.
- For the third quarter of 2012, revenue was $99.0 million as compared to $66.0 million in the third quarter of 2011. The increase in revenue over the same period in 2011 is primarily related to results from the acquisitions of the New Hampshire gas and electric utility assets, Midwest gas utility assets, and the acquisition of an interest in the Sandy Ridge Wind Project ("Sandy Ridge"), all of which occurred in the third quarter of 2012. For the first nine months of 2012, APUC generated revenue of $228.9 million as compared to $204.6 million in the first nine months of 2011.
- Adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization ("EBITDA") was $24.2 million in the third quarter of 2012 as compared to $25.9 million in the third quarter of 2011. The decrease in adjusted EBITDA over the comparable period is primarily related to lower results from operations as a result of lower hydrology in Algonquin Power Co's ("APCo") renewable energy partially offset by the EBITDA generated by the utility acquisitions in the quarter. APUC generated adjusted EBITDA of $72.4 million for the first nine months of 2012 as compared to $81.0 million for the first nine months of 2011.
- APUC reported adjusted net earnings of $3.3 million or $0.02 per share in the third quarter of 2012 as compared to adjusted net earnings of $21.5 million or $0.18 per share in the third quarter of 2011. For the first nine months of 2012, APUC reported adjusted net earnings of $15.7 million or $0.11 per share as compared to $34.9 million or $0.31 per share for the first nine months of 2011.
- On July 1, 2012, APCo completed the acquisition of a 58.75% interest in the 50 MW Sandy Ridge wind project in the United States from Gamesa Corporación Tecnológica, S.A. Total consideration paid for the acquisition of the interest in Sandy Ridge was approximately U.S. $29.7 million. Revenue from Sandy Ridge was $0.7 million in the quarter.
- On July 3, 2012, Liberty Utilities completed the acquisition of all issued and outstanding shares of Granite State and EnergyNorth, both from National Grid, for consideration of U.S. $285.0 million plus working capital and other closing adjustments for a total purchase price of U.S. $297.4 million. Net utility sales for these systems totalled U.S. $17.1 million during the third quarter of 2012.
- On August 1, 2012, Liberty Utilities completed the acquisitions of regulated natural gas distribution utility assets located in Missouri, Iowa, and Illinois from Atmos Energy Corporation for consideration of U.S. $123.9 million plus working capital and other closing adjustments for a total purchase price of U.S. $128.9 million. During the quarter, net utility sales for these systems totalled U.S. $3.6 million during the third quarter of 2012.
- On July 20, 2012, Liberty Utilities entered into an agreement with United Waterworks Inc. to acquire all issued and outstanding shares of a regulated water distribution utility located in Pine Bluff, Arkansas serving approximately 17,300 customers. Total purchase price is approximately U.S. $28.6 million representing a 1.16x premium to expected closing rate base of U.S. $24.6 million and subject to certain working capital and other closing adjustments. Closing of the transaction is subject to certain conditions including state and federal regulatory approval, and is expected to occur in 2013.
- On August 8, 2012, Liberty Utilities entered into an agreement with Atmos Energy Corporation to acquire the regulated natural gas distribution utility assets serving approximately 64,000 customers located in the State of Georgia. Total purchase price is approximately U.S. $140.7 million representing a 1.1x premium to rate base of U.S. $128.1 million and is subject to certain working capital and other closing adjustments. Closing of the transaction is subject to certain conditions including state and federal regulatory approval, and is expected to occur in 2013.
- As a result of the successful completion of the previously mentioned acquisitions, on August 9, 2012, the Board of Directors of APUC approved a dividend increase of $0.03 annually bringing the total annual dividend to $0.31, paid quarterly at the rate of $0.0775 per common share.
- Subsequent to the end of the quarter, APUC issued 4.8 million cumulative rate reset preferred shares, Series A at a price of $25 per share for aggregate gross proceeds of $120 million. The shares yield 4.5% annually for the initial six year period.
"We are pleased at having closed four acquisitions in the quarter which now positions APUC for significant growth over the next year in both our non-regulated and regulated businesses", commented Ian Robertson, Chief Executive Officer of APUC. "Our achievements in the third quarter contributed to the ability for the Board of Directors to increase the annual dividend by 11%, consistent with our strategy of delivering total shareholder return comprised of attractive dividend yield and capital appreciation."
APUC's supplemental information is available on the web site at www.algonquinpowerandutilities.com by using the Quarterly Reports link in the Top Links section of the home page.
APUC will hold an earnings conference call at 10:00 a.m. eastern time on Thursday, November 15, 2012, hosted by Chief Executive Officer, Ian Robertson and Chief Financial Officer, David Bronicheski.
Conference call details are as follows:
Date: Thursday, November 15, 2012
Start Time: 10:00 a.m. eastern
Phone Number: Toll free within North America: 1-800-814-4860 or Local 416-644-3416.
Conference ID#: 4569905
For those unable to attend the live call, a digital recording will be available for replay two hours after the call by dialing 1-877-289-8525 or 416-640-1917 access code 4569905# from November 15, 2012 until November 29, 2012.
About Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp. owns and operates a diversified portfolio of $1.7 billion of regulated and non-regulated utilities in North America. The company's regulated utility business provides regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to more than 335,000 customers with a portfolio of 27 distribution utility systems. The company's non-regulated electric generation subsidiary includes 23 renewable energy facilities and 7 thermal energy facilities representing more than 460 MW of installed capacity. Algonquin delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable power and clean energy projects, organic growth within its regulated utilities and the pursuit of accretive acquisition opportunities. Common shares and Preferred shares are traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol AQN and AQN.PR.A respectively. Visit Algonquin Power and Utilities at www.AlgonquinPowerandUtilities.com and follow us on Twitter @AQN_Utilities.
Caution Regarding Forward-Looking Information
Certain statements included in this news release contain information that is forward-looking within the meaning of certain securities laws, including information and statements regarding prospective results of operations, financial position or cash flows. These statements are based on factors or assumptions that were applied in drawing a conclusion or making a forecast or projection, including assumptions based on historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments. Since forward-looking statements relate to future events and conditions, by their very nature they require making assumptions and involve inherent risks and uncertainties. APUC cautions that although it is believed that the assumptions are reasonable in the circumstances, these risks and uncertainties give rise to the possibility that actual results may differ materially from the expectations set out in the forward-looking statements. Material risk factors include those set out in the management's discussion and analysis section of APUC's most recent annual report, quarterly report, and APUC's Annual Information Form. Given these risks, undue reliance should not be placed on these forward-looking statements, which apply only as of their dates. Other than as specifically required by law, APUC undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements or information to reflect new information, subsequent or otherwise.
SOURCE Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 25, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 941
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 25, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 625
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Jun. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,492
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 25, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 991
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 25, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 847
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Jun. 25, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,182
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Jun. 25, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,145
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Jun. 25, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,144
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 454
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Jun. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,266
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jun. 25, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,212
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Jun. 25, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,206
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 25, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 644
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jun. 25, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,076
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change t...
Jun. 25, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,026
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 25, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 846
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Jun. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,323
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Jun. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,576
industrial company for a multi-year contract initially valued at over $4.0 million. In addition to DataV software, Bsquare will also provide comprehensive systems integration, support and maintenance services. DataV leverages advanced data analytics, predictive reasoning, data-driven diagnostics, and automated orchestration of remediation actions in order to improve asset uptime while reducing service and warranty costs.
Jun. 22, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,347
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Jun. 19, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,238