|By PR Newswire||
|November 14, 2012 06:21 PM EST||
OAKVILLE, ON, Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp. ("APUC") (TSX: AQN), today announced financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2012.
- For the third quarter of 2012, revenue was $99.0 million as compared to $66.0 million in the third quarter of 2011. The increase in revenue over the same period in 2011 is primarily related to results from the acquisitions of the New Hampshire gas and electric utility assets, Midwest gas utility assets, and the acquisition of an interest in the Sandy Ridge Wind Project ("Sandy Ridge"), all of which occurred in the third quarter of 2012. For the first nine months of 2012, APUC generated revenue of $228.9 million as compared to $204.6 million in the first nine months of 2011.
- Adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization ("EBITDA") was $24.2 million in the third quarter of 2012 as compared to $25.9 million in the third quarter of 2011. The decrease in adjusted EBITDA over the comparable period is primarily related to lower results from operations as a result of lower hydrology in Algonquin Power Co's ("APCo") renewable energy partially offset by the EBITDA generated by the utility acquisitions in the quarter. APUC generated adjusted EBITDA of $72.4 million for the first nine months of 2012 as compared to $81.0 million for the first nine months of 2011.
- APUC reported adjusted net earnings of $3.3 million or $0.02 per share in the third quarter of 2012 as compared to adjusted net earnings of $21.5 million or $0.18 per share in the third quarter of 2011. For the first nine months of 2012, APUC reported adjusted net earnings of $15.7 million or $0.11 per share as compared to $34.9 million or $0.31 per share for the first nine months of 2011.
- On July 1, 2012, APCo completed the acquisition of a 58.75% interest in the 50 MW Sandy Ridge wind project in the United States from Gamesa Corporación Tecnológica, S.A. Total consideration paid for the acquisition of the interest in Sandy Ridge was approximately U.S. $29.7 million. Revenue from Sandy Ridge was $0.7 million in the quarter.
- On July 3, 2012, Liberty Utilities completed the acquisition of all issued and outstanding shares of Granite State and EnergyNorth, both from National Grid, for consideration of U.S. $285.0 million plus working capital and other closing adjustments for a total purchase price of U.S. $297.4 million. Net utility sales for these systems totalled U.S. $17.1 million during the third quarter of 2012.
- On August 1, 2012, Liberty Utilities completed the acquisitions of regulated natural gas distribution utility assets located in Missouri, Iowa, and Illinois from Atmos Energy Corporation for consideration of U.S. $123.9 million plus working capital and other closing adjustments for a total purchase price of U.S. $128.9 million. During the quarter, net utility sales for these systems totalled U.S. $3.6 million during the third quarter of 2012.
- On July 20, 2012, Liberty Utilities entered into an agreement with United Waterworks Inc. to acquire all issued and outstanding shares of a regulated water distribution utility located in Pine Bluff, Arkansas serving approximately 17,300 customers. Total purchase price is approximately U.S. $28.6 million representing a 1.16x premium to expected closing rate base of U.S. $24.6 million and subject to certain working capital and other closing adjustments. Closing of the transaction is subject to certain conditions including state and federal regulatory approval, and is expected to occur in 2013.
- On August 8, 2012, Liberty Utilities entered into an agreement with Atmos Energy Corporation to acquire the regulated natural gas distribution utility assets serving approximately 64,000 customers located in the State of Georgia. Total purchase price is approximately U.S. $140.7 million representing a 1.1x premium to rate base of U.S. $128.1 million and is subject to certain working capital and other closing adjustments. Closing of the transaction is subject to certain conditions including state and federal regulatory approval, and is expected to occur in 2013.
- As a result of the successful completion of the previously mentioned acquisitions, on August 9, 2012, the Board of Directors of APUC approved a dividend increase of $0.03 annually bringing the total annual dividend to $0.31, paid quarterly at the rate of $0.0775 per common share.
- Subsequent to the end of the quarter, APUC issued 4.8 million cumulative rate reset preferred shares, Series A at a price of $25 per share for aggregate gross proceeds of $120 million. The shares yield 4.5% annually for the initial six year period.
"We are pleased at having closed four acquisitions in the quarter which now positions APUC for significant growth over the next year in both our non-regulated and regulated businesses", commented Ian Robertson, Chief Executive Officer of APUC. "Our achievements in the third quarter contributed to the ability for the Board of Directors to increase the annual dividend by 11%, consistent with our strategy of delivering total shareholder return comprised of attractive dividend yield and capital appreciation."
APUC's supplemental information is available on the web site at www.algonquinpowerandutilities.com by using the Quarterly Reports link in the Top Links section of the home page.
APUC will hold an earnings conference call at 10:00 a.m. eastern time on Thursday, November 15, 2012, hosted by Chief Executive Officer, Ian Robertson and Chief Financial Officer, David Bronicheski.
Conference call details are as follows:
Date: Thursday, November 15, 2012
Start Time: 10:00 a.m. eastern
Phone Number: Toll free within North America: 1-800-814-4860 or Local 416-644-3416.
Conference ID#: 4569905
For those unable to attend the live call, a digital recording will be available for replay two hours after the call by dialing 1-877-289-8525 or 416-640-1917 access code 4569905# from November 15, 2012 until November 29, 2012.
About Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp. owns and operates a diversified portfolio of $1.7 billion of regulated and non-regulated utilities in North America. The company's regulated utility business provides regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to more than 335,000 customers with a portfolio of 27 distribution utility systems. The company's non-regulated electric generation subsidiary includes 23 renewable energy facilities and 7 thermal energy facilities representing more than 460 MW of installed capacity. Algonquin delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable power and clean energy projects, organic growth within its regulated utilities and the pursuit of accretive acquisition opportunities. Common shares and Preferred shares are traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol AQN and AQN.PR.A respectively. Visit Algonquin Power and Utilities at www.AlgonquinPowerandUtilities.com and follow us on Twitter @AQN_Utilities.
Caution Regarding Forward-Looking Information
Certain statements included in this news release contain information that is forward-looking within the meaning of certain securities laws, including information and statements regarding prospective results of operations, financial position or cash flows. These statements are based on factors or assumptions that were applied in drawing a conclusion or making a forecast or projection, including assumptions based on historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments. Since forward-looking statements relate to future events and conditions, by their very nature they require making assumptions and involve inherent risks and uncertainties. APUC cautions that although it is believed that the assumptions are reasonable in the circumstances, these risks and uncertainties give rise to the possibility that actual results may differ materially from the expectations set out in the forward-looking statements. Material risk factors include those set out in the management's discussion and analysis section of APUC's most recent annual report, quarterly report, and APUC's Annual Information Form. Given these risks, undue reliance should not be placed on these forward-looking statements, which apply only as of their dates. Other than as specifically required by law, APUC undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements or information to reflect new information, subsequent or otherwise.
SOURCE Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the a...
Sep. 29, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 470
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Sep. 28, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,949
According to Forrester Research, every business will become either a digital predator or digital prey by 2020. To avoid demise, organizations must rapidly create new sources of value in their end-to-end customer experiences. True digital predators also must break down information and process silos and extend digital transformation initiatives to empower employees with the digital resources needed to win, serve, and retain customers.
Sep. 28, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 348
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 28, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,714
In this strange new world where more and more power is drawn from business technology, companies are effectively straddling two paths on the road to innovation and transformation into digital enterprises. The first path is the heritage trail – with “legacy” technology forming the background. Here, extant technologies are transformed by core IT teams to provide more API-driven approaches. Legacy systems can restrict companies that are transitioning into digital enterprises. To truly become a lea...
Sep. 28, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 340
IoT is fundamentally transforming the auto industry, turning the vehicle into a hub for connected services, including safety, infotainment and usage-based insurance. Auto manufacturers – and businesses across all verticals – have built an entire ecosystem around the Connected Car, creating new customer touch points and revenue streams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Macario Namie, Head of IoT Strategy at Cisco Jasper, will share real-world examples of how IoT transforms the car from a static p...
Sep. 28, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,626
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Sep. 28, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,153
From wearable activity trackers to fantasy e-sports, data and technology are transforming the way athletes train for the game and fans engage with their teams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, will present key data findings from leading sports organizations San Francisco 49ers, Orlando Magic NBA team. By utilizing data analytics these sports orgs have recognized new revenue streams, doubled its fan base and streamlined costs at its stadiums. John Paul is the CEO and Founder of VenueNext. Prior ...
Sep. 28, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,118
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Sep. 28, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 303
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 28, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,777
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 259
Businesses are struggling to manage the information flow and interactions between all of these new devices and things jumping on their network, and the apps and IT systems they control. The data businesses gather is only helpful if they can do something with it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Witeck, Principal Technology Strategist at Citrix, will discuss how different the impact of IoT will be for large businesses, expanding how IoT will allow large organizations to make their legacy ap...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 264
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,725
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,819
What are the new priorities for the connected business? First: businesses need to think differently about the types of connections they will need to make – these span well beyond the traditional app to app into more modern forms of integration including SaaS integrations, mobile integrations, APIs, device integration and Big Data integration. It’s important these are unified together vs. doing them all piecemeal. Second, these types of connections need to be simple to design, adapt and configure...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 400
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,316
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,881
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,747
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Sep. 28, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,935
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,339