|By PR Newswire||
|November 14, 2012 06:21 PM EST||
OAKVILLE, ON, Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp. ("APUC") (TSX: AQN), today announced financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2012.
- For the third quarter of 2012, revenue was $99.0 million as compared to $66.0 million in the third quarter of 2011. The increase in revenue over the same period in 2011 is primarily related to results from the acquisitions of the New Hampshire gas and electric utility assets, Midwest gas utility assets, and the acquisition of an interest in the Sandy Ridge Wind Project ("Sandy Ridge"), all of which occurred in the third quarter of 2012. For the first nine months of 2012, APUC generated revenue of $228.9 million as compared to $204.6 million in the first nine months of 2011.
- Adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization ("EBITDA") was $24.2 million in the third quarter of 2012 as compared to $25.9 million in the third quarter of 2011. The decrease in adjusted EBITDA over the comparable period is primarily related to lower results from operations as a result of lower hydrology in Algonquin Power Co's ("APCo") renewable energy partially offset by the EBITDA generated by the utility acquisitions in the quarter. APUC generated adjusted EBITDA of $72.4 million for the first nine months of 2012 as compared to $81.0 million for the first nine months of 2011.
- APUC reported adjusted net earnings of $3.3 million or $0.02 per share in the third quarter of 2012 as compared to adjusted net earnings of $21.5 million or $0.18 per share in the third quarter of 2011. For the first nine months of 2012, APUC reported adjusted net earnings of $15.7 million or $0.11 per share as compared to $34.9 million or $0.31 per share for the first nine months of 2011.
- On July 1, 2012, APCo completed the acquisition of a 58.75% interest in the 50 MW Sandy Ridge wind project in the United States from Gamesa Corporación Tecnológica, S.A. Total consideration paid for the acquisition of the interest in Sandy Ridge was approximately U.S. $29.7 million. Revenue from Sandy Ridge was $0.7 million in the quarter.
- On July 3, 2012, Liberty Utilities completed the acquisition of all issued and outstanding shares of Granite State and EnergyNorth, both from National Grid, for consideration of U.S. $285.0 million plus working capital and other closing adjustments for a total purchase price of U.S. $297.4 million. Net utility sales for these systems totalled U.S. $17.1 million during the third quarter of 2012.
- On August 1, 2012, Liberty Utilities completed the acquisitions of regulated natural gas distribution utility assets located in Missouri, Iowa, and Illinois from Atmos Energy Corporation for consideration of U.S. $123.9 million plus working capital and other closing adjustments for a total purchase price of U.S. $128.9 million. During the quarter, net utility sales for these systems totalled U.S. $3.6 million during the third quarter of 2012.
- On July 20, 2012, Liberty Utilities entered into an agreement with United Waterworks Inc. to acquire all issued and outstanding shares of a regulated water distribution utility located in Pine Bluff, Arkansas serving approximately 17,300 customers. Total purchase price is approximately U.S. $28.6 million representing a 1.16x premium to expected closing rate base of U.S. $24.6 million and subject to certain working capital and other closing adjustments. Closing of the transaction is subject to certain conditions including state and federal regulatory approval, and is expected to occur in 2013.
- On August 8, 2012, Liberty Utilities entered into an agreement with Atmos Energy Corporation to acquire the regulated natural gas distribution utility assets serving approximately 64,000 customers located in the State of Georgia. Total purchase price is approximately U.S. $140.7 million representing a 1.1x premium to rate base of U.S. $128.1 million and is subject to certain working capital and other closing adjustments. Closing of the transaction is subject to certain conditions including state and federal regulatory approval, and is expected to occur in 2013.
- As a result of the successful completion of the previously mentioned acquisitions, on August 9, 2012, the Board of Directors of APUC approved a dividend increase of $0.03 annually bringing the total annual dividend to $0.31, paid quarterly at the rate of $0.0775 per common share.
- Subsequent to the end of the quarter, APUC issued 4.8 million cumulative rate reset preferred shares, Series A at a price of $25 per share for aggregate gross proceeds of $120 million. The shares yield 4.5% annually for the initial six year period.
"We are pleased at having closed four acquisitions in the quarter which now positions APUC for significant growth over the next year in both our non-regulated and regulated businesses", commented Ian Robertson, Chief Executive Officer of APUC. "Our achievements in the third quarter contributed to the ability for the Board of Directors to increase the annual dividend by 11%, consistent with our strategy of delivering total shareholder return comprised of attractive dividend yield and capital appreciation."
APUC's supplemental information is available on the web site at www.algonquinpowerandutilities.com by using the Quarterly Reports link in the Top Links section of the home page.
APUC will hold an earnings conference call at 10:00 a.m. eastern time on Thursday, November 15, 2012, hosted by Chief Executive Officer, Ian Robertson and Chief Financial Officer, David Bronicheski.
Conference call details are as follows:
Date: Thursday, November 15, 2012
Start Time: 10:00 a.m. eastern
Phone Number: Toll free within North America: 1-800-814-4860 or Local 416-644-3416.
Conference ID#: 4569905
For those unable to attend the live call, a digital recording will be available for replay two hours after the call by dialing 1-877-289-8525 or 416-640-1917 access code 4569905# from November 15, 2012 until November 29, 2012.
About Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp. owns and operates a diversified portfolio of $1.7 billion of regulated and non-regulated utilities in North America. The company's regulated utility business provides regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to more than 335,000 customers with a portfolio of 27 distribution utility systems. The company's non-regulated electric generation subsidiary includes 23 renewable energy facilities and 7 thermal energy facilities representing more than 460 MW of installed capacity. Algonquin delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable power and clean energy projects, organic growth within its regulated utilities and the pursuit of accretive acquisition opportunities. Common shares and Preferred shares are traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol AQN and AQN.PR.A respectively. Visit Algonquin Power and Utilities at www.AlgonquinPowerandUtilities.com and follow us on Twitter @AQN_Utilities.
Caution Regarding Forward-Looking Information
Certain statements included in this news release contain information that is forward-looking within the meaning of certain securities laws, including information and statements regarding prospective results of operations, financial position or cash flows. These statements are based on factors or assumptions that were applied in drawing a conclusion or making a forecast or projection, including assumptions based on historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments. Since forward-looking statements relate to future events and conditions, by their very nature they require making assumptions and involve inherent risks and uncertainties. APUC cautions that although it is believed that the assumptions are reasonable in the circumstances, these risks and uncertainties give rise to the possibility that actual results may differ materially from the expectations set out in the forward-looking statements. Material risk factors include those set out in the management's discussion and analysis section of APUC's most recent annual report, quarterly report, and APUC's Annual Information Form. Given these risks, undue reliance should not be placed on these forward-looking statements, which apply only as of their dates. Other than as specifically required by law, APUC undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements or information to reflect new information, subsequent or otherwise.
SOURCE Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, discussed the best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Jan. 23, 2017 05:00 AM EST Reads: 2,141
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Jan. 23, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 1,016
"Tintri was started in 2008 with the express purpose of building a storage appliance that is ideal for virtualized environments. We support a lot of different hypervisor platforms from VMware to OpenStack to Hyper-V," explained Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 23, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 5,014
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at Dell EMC, introduced a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organization...
Jan. 23, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 3,372
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet and...
Jan. 23, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 6,648
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, director/senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Jan. 23, 2017 01:45 AM EST Reads: 2,773
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Jan. 23, 2017 12:00 AM EST Reads: 5,884
IoT is at the core or many Digital Transformation initiatives with the goal of re-inventing a company's business model. We all agree that collecting relevant IoT data will result in massive amounts of data needing to be stored. However, with the rapid development of IoT devices and ongoing business model transformation, we are not able to predict the volume and growth of IoT data. And with the lack of IoT history, traditional methods of IT and infrastructure planning based on the past do not app...
Jan. 22, 2017 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,042
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 22, 2017 07:45 PM EST Reads: 3,874
"LinearHub provides smart video conferencing, which is the Roundee service, and we archive all the video conferences and we also provide the transcript," stated Sunghyuk Kim, CEO of LinearHub, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 22, 2017 03:15 PM EST Reads: 1,695
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 22, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 3,767
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 5,836
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 5,302
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 22, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 3,238
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 22, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 4,398
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 22, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 1,698
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 22, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 2,979
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, discussed the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Jan. 22, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 3,759
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 22, 2017 09:30 AM EST Reads: 4,782
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Jan. 22, 2017 09:30 AM EST Reads: 3,040