|By Marketwired .||
|November 9, 2012 07:30 AM EST||
SAN JUAN, PR -- (Marketwire) -- 11/09/12 -- Doral Financial Corporation (NYSE: DRL) ("Doral", "Doral Financial" or the "Company"), the holding company of Doral Bank, with operations in Puerto Rico and the U.S., reported net loss of $32.5 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2012, compared to a net loss of $1.6 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2012 and a net loss of $30.2 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011. For the nine months ended September 30, 2012, Doral reported a net loss of $31.6 million compared to a net loss of $22.4 million for the same period of 2011.
"Our results reflect the high credit costs as we continue to work with thousands of homeowners during this difficult economic time. Despite this, we have increased revenue, strengthened our mortgage and retail franchise in Puerto Rico, continued to successfully grow our U.S. operations, and preserved our high levels of capital," said Glen Wakeman, CEO and President of Doral Financial Corporation.
Third Quarter Highlights:
- Increased net interest income $1.5 million to $55.6 million in the third quarter of 2012 from $54.1 million in the second quarter of 2012. Increased total net loans receivable by $103.8 million from the second quarter of 2012 to the third quarter of 2012 based on strong growth in the U.S. commercial portfolio.
- Grew Puerto Rico's mortgage loan production 21%, from $209.4 million in the second quarter of 2012 to $254.3 million in the third quarter of 2012.
- Grew retail deposits by $93.2 million from the second quarter of 2012 to the third quarter of 2012.
- Increased loan and lease loss provisions by $29.2 million to $34.4 million in the third quarter of 2012, compared to $5.2 million in the second quarter of 2012 as a result of re-defaults on previously modified loans and new valuations of defaulted residential loans.
- Preserved excess capital levels well above the standards established by the federal banking agencies with ratios of Tier 1 Leverage of 9.32%, Tier 1 Risk-based Capital of 11.94% and Total Risk-based Capital of 13.26%. The Leverage, Tier 1 and Total Risk-based Capital Ratios exceeded the well-capitalized standards by $361.3 million, $387.9 million and $213.0 million, respectively.
The Company's financial results for the third quarter of 2012 are being released at the same time as our filing of the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Doral will be holding a conference call to discuss its financial results on Friday, November 9th, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. EST.
The call may be accessed through a dial-in telephone number at (800) 230-1093 or (612) 288-0340 for international callers.
A telephone replay of the conference call will be available through December 9th, 2012 at (800) 475-6701 or (320) 365-3844 for international callers. The replay access code is 270528.
- Net loss for the quarter ended September 30, 2012 totaled $32.5 million, compared to a net loss of $1.6 million for the second quarter of 2012 and a net loss of $30.2 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011.
- The Company reported net loss attributable to common shareholders of $35.0 million for the third quarter of 2012 compared to a net loss attributable to common shareholders of $4.0 million for the second quarter of 2012, and a net loss attributable to common shareholders of $32.6 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011.
- Net interest income for the third quarter of 2012 was $55.6 million, an increase of $1.5 million compared to the second quarter of 2012, and an increase of $7.4 million when compared to the third quarter of 2011. Net interest margin remained stable at 2.91% for both the second and third quarters of 2012.
- Provision for loan and lease losses for the third quarter of 2012 was $34.4 million, an increase of $29.2 million over the second quarter 2012 provision, and a decrease of $7.3 million from the provision recorded in the third quarter of 2011. The $34.4 million provision for loan and lease losses in the third quarter of 2012 resulted mainly from the residential mortgage portfolios ($28.8 million), and resulted from higher re-defaults of previously modified loans and new valuations of defaulted loans, all related to Puerto Rico loan exposures.
- Non-interest income for the third quarter of 2012 of $20.6 million reflects a decrease of $0.7 million, and a decrease of $8.9 million, compared to non-interest income of $21.3 million for the second quarter of 2012 and $29.5 million for the third quarter of 2011, respectively. The decrease in non-interest income when compared to the second quarter of 2012 results from the negative variances of $2.3 million and $2.6 million in mark-to-market adjustments on servicing assets and the loss on hedge derivatives, respectively, offset by the $4.8 million positive variance in gain on sale and securitization of loans.
- Non-interest expense for the third quarter of 2012 of $73.8 million increased $2.8 million and $10.0 million from the quarters ended June 30, 2012 and September 30, 2011, respectively. The expense increase in the third quarter of 2012 compared to the second quarter of 2012 was mainly driven by an increase in other real estate owned expenses of $2.2 million. Credit related expenses, including other real estate owned expenses (largely collateral value adjustments), foreclosure expenses, and certain loan and administrative costs, totaled $15.6 million in the third quarter of 2012, and $14.2 million in the second quarter of 2012.
- Doral's loan production for the third quarter of 2012 was $771.1 million, an increase of $247.7 million and $325.5 million, compared to $523.4 million and $445.6 million for the second quarter of 2012 and third quarter of 2011, respectively. The U.S. commercial loan production totaled $390.5 million or 50.6% of the loan production for the third quarter of 2012, and Puerto Rico residential mortgage loan production, most of which is sold, of $254.3 million in the third quarter of 2012 was up $44.9 million over the second quarter of 2012 production of $209.4 million.
- Doral reported total assets as of September 30, 2012 of $8.4 billion compared to $8.0 billion as of December 31, 2011. The increase of $395.4 million is mainly due to an increase in net loans of $326.3 million related to growth in the U.S. commercial loan portfolio.
- Total deposits were $4.6 billion as of September 30, 2012, an increase of $219.7 million, or 5.0%, from deposits of $4.4 billion as of December 31, 2011. The Company's brokered deposits decreased $76.7 million while retail deposits increased $296.4 million during the nine months ended September 30, 2012.
- Non-performing loans ("NPLs"), excluding FHA/VA loans guaranteed by the US government, as of September 30, 2012 were $753.4 million, an increase of $130.0 million from December 31, 2011. The increase in NPLs during the third quarter of 2012 resulted largely from the classification of certain residential mortgage TDR loans as NPLs.
- The Company's capital ratios continue to exceed the well-capitalized standards established by the federal banking agencies with ratios of Tier 1 Leverage of 9.32%, Tier 1 Risk-based Capital of 11.94% and Total Risk-based Capital of 13.26%. The Leverage, Tier 1 and Total Risk-based Capital Ratios exceeded the well-capitalized standards by $361.3 million, $387.9 million and $213.0 million, respectively.
This earnings release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of, and subject to the protection of, the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. In addition, Doral Financial Corporation may make forward-looking statements in its other press releases, filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") or in other public or shareholder communications and its senior management may make forward-looking statements orally to analysts, investors, the media and others.
These forward-looking statements may relate to the Company's financial condition, results of operations, plans, objectives, future performance and business, including, but not limited to, statements with respect to the adequacy of the allowance for loan and lease losses, delinquency trends, market risk and the impact of interest rate changes, capital markets conditions, capital adequacy and liquidity, and the effect of legal proceedings, tax legislation and tax rules, compliance and regulatory matters and new accounting standards and guidance on the Company's financial condition and results of operations. Forward-looking statements can be identified by the fact that they do not relate strictly to historical or current facts, but instead represent Doral Financial's current expectations regarding future events. Such forward-looking statements may be generally identified by the use of words or phrases such as "would be," "will allow," "intends to," "will likely result," "are expected to," "will continue," "is anticipated," "estimate," "project," "believe," "expect," "predict," "forecast," "anticipate," "plan," "outlook," "target," "goal," and similar expressions and future conditional verbs such as "would," "should," "could," "might," "can" or "may" or similar expressions.
Doral Financial cautions readers not to place undue reliance on any of these forward-looking statements since they speak only as of the date made and represent Doral Financial's expectations of future conditions or results and are not guarantees of future performance. The Company does not undertake and specifically disclaims any obligations to update any forward-looking statements to reflect occurrences or unanticipated events or circumstances after the date of those statements other than as required by law, including the requirements of applicable securities laws.
Forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to risks and uncertainties and changes in circumstances, many of which are beyond Doral Financial's control. Risk factors and uncertainties that could cause the Company's actual results to differ materially from those described in forward-looking statements can be found in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011 which is available in the Company's website at www.doralfinancial.com, as updated from time to time in the Company's periodic and other reports filed and to be filed with the SEC.
Doral Financial Corporation is a bank holding company engaged in banking, mortgage banking and insurance agency activities through its wholly-owned subsidiaries Doral Bank ("Doral Bank"), with operations in the mainland U.S. (New York metropolitan area and northwest region of Florida) and Puerto Rico, Doral Insurance Agency, Inc. ("Doral Insurance Agency"), and Doral Properties, Inc. ("Doral Properties"). Doral Bank in turn operates three wholly-owned subsidiaries: Doral Mortgage LLC ("Doral Mortgage"), engaged in residential mortgage lending in Puerto Rico, Doral Money, Inc. ("Doral Money"), engaged in commercial and middle market lending primarily in the New York metropolitan area, and CB, LLC, an entity formed to dispose of a real estate project of which Doral Bank took possession during 2005. Doral Money consolidates two variable interest entities created for the purpose of entering into a collateralized loan arrangement with a third party.
Doral Financial Corporation's common shares trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DRL. Additional information about Doral Financial Corporation may be found on the Company's website at www.doralfinancial.com.
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover how hardware commoditization, the ubiquitous nature of connectivity, and the emergence of Big Data a...
Dec. 19, 2014 06:30 AM EST Reads: 2,094
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's platform-as-a-service. The new platform enables developers to build ap...
Dec. 19, 2014 05:00 AM EST Reads: 1,923
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada. Our partner network encompasses some 300 of the world's leading systems integrators and security s...
Dec. 19, 2014 04:00 AM EST Reads: 1,926
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete at launch. DevOps may be disruptive, but it is essential.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:45 PM EST Reads: 922
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 964
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, phone and digital TV services to consumers primarily in rural areas.
Dec. 18, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,129
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com), moderated by Ashar Baig, Research Director, Cloud, at Gigaom Research, Nate Gordon, Director of T...
Dec. 18, 2014 10:30 AM EST Reads: 2,261
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,794
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,242
Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa, at more than US$500 billion, and ranks 23rd in the world. A recent re-evaluation of Nigeria's true economic size doubled the previous estimate, and brought it well ahead of South Africa, which is a member (unlike Nigeria) of the G20 club for political as well as economic reasons. Nigeria's economy can be said to be quite diverse from one point of view, but heavily dependent on oil and gas at the same time. Oil and natural gas account for about 15% of Nigera's overall economy, but traditionally represent more than 90% of the country's exports and as...
Dec. 18, 2014 06:00 AM EST Reads: 776
The Internet of Things is a misnomer. That implies that everything is on the Internet, and that simply should not be - especially for things that are blurring the line between medical devices that stimulate like a pacemaker and quantified self-sensors like a pedometer or pulse tracker. The mesh of things that we manage must be segmented into zones of trust for sensing data, transmitting data, receiving command and control administrative changes, and peer-to-peer mesh messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Bagnulo, Solution Architect / Software Engineer at SOA Software, focused on desi...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:15 PM EST Reads: 1,293
"At our booth we are showing how to provide trust in the Internet of Things. Trust is where everything starts to become secure and trustworthy. Now with the scaling of the Internet of Things it becomes an interesting question – I've heard numbers from 200 billion devices next year up to a trillion in the next 10 to 15 years," explained Johannes Lintzen, Vice President of Sales at Utimaco, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,356
"For over 25 years we have been working with a lot of enterprise customers and we have seen how companies create applications. And now that we have moved to cloud computing, mobile, social and the Internet of Things, we see that the market needs a new way of creating applications," stated Jesse Shiah, CEO, President and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,325
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the industry’s first all flash version of HyperConverged Appliances that include both compute and storag...
Dec. 17, 2014 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,236
Today’s enterprise is being driven by disruptive competitive and human capital requirements to provide enterprise application access through not only desktops, but also mobile devices. To retrofit existing programs across all these devices using traditional programming methods is very costly and time consuming – often prohibitively so. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO, President, and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., discussed how you can create applications that run on all mobile devices as well as laptops and desktops using a visual drag-and-drop application – and eForms-buildi...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:45 AM EST Reads: 1,457
We certainly live in interesting technological times. And no more interesting than the current competing IoT standards for connectivity. Various standards bodies, approaches, and ecosystems are vying for mindshare and positioning for a competitive edge. It is clear that when the dust settles, we will have new protocols, evolved protocols, that will change the way we interact with devices and infrastructure. We will also have evolved web protocols, like HTTP/2, that will be changing the very core of our infrastructures. At the same time, we have old approaches made new again like micro-services...
Dec. 16, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,297
Code Halos - aka "digital fingerprints" - are the key organizing principle to understand a) how dumb things become smart and b) how to monetize this dynamic. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Brown, AVP, Center for the Future of Work at Cognizant Technology Solutions, outlined research, analysis and recommendations from his recently published book on this phenomena on the way leading edge organizations like GE and Disney are unlocking the Internet of Things opportunity and what steps your organization should be taking to position itself for the next platform of digital competition.
Dec. 15, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,660
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Dec. 15, 2014 10:30 AM EST Reads: 6,871
As the Internet of Things unfolds, mobile and wearable devices are blurring the line between physical and digital, integrating ever more closely with our interests, our routines, our daily lives. Contextual computing and smart, sensor-equipped spaces bring the potential to walk through a world that recognizes us and responds accordingly. We become continuous transmitters and receivers of data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Bolwell, Director of Innovation for HP's Printing and Personal Systems Group, discussed how key attributes of mobile technology – touch input, sensors, social, and ...
Dec. 15, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,954
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect at GE, and Ibrahim Gokcen, who leads GE's advanced IoT analytics, focused on the Internet of Things / Industrial Internet and how to make it operational for business end-users. Learn about the challenges posed by machine and sensor data and how to marry it with enterprise data. They also discussed the tips and tricks to provide the Industrial Internet as an end-user consumable service using Big Data Analytics and Industrial Cloud.
Dec. 15, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,629