|By Marketwired .||
|November 9, 2012 07:30 AM EST||
SAN JUAN, PR -- (Marketwire) -- 11/09/12 -- Doral Financial Corporation (NYSE: DRL) ("Doral", "Doral Financial" or the "Company"), the holding company of Doral Bank, with operations in Puerto Rico and the U.S., reported net loss of $32.5 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2012, compared to a net loss of $1.6 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2012 and a net loss of $30.2 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011. For the nine months ended September 30, 2012, Doral reported a net loss of $31.6 million compared to a net loss of $22.4 million for the same period of 2011.
"Our results reflect the high credit costs as we continue to work with thousands of homeowners during this difficult economic time. Despite this, we have increased revenue, strengthened our mortgage and retail franchise in Puerto Rico, continued to successfully grow our U.S. operations, and preserved our high levels of capital," said Glen Wakeman, CEO and President of Doral Financial Corporation.
Third Quarter Highlights:
- Increased net interest income $1.5 million to $55.6 million in the third quarter of 2012 from $54.1 million in the second quarter of 2012. Increased total net loans receivable by $103.8 million from the second quarter of 2012 to the third quarter of 2012 based on strong growth in the U.S. commercial portfolio.
- Grew Puerto Rico's mortgage loan production 21%, from $209.4 million in the second quarter of 2012 to $254.3 million in the third quarter of 2012.
- Grew retail deposits by $93.2 million from the second quarter of 2012 to the third quarter of 2012.
- Increased loan and lease loss provisions by $29.2 million to $34.4 million in the third quarter of 2012, compared to $5.2 million in the second quarter of 2012 as a result of re-defaults on previously modified loans and new valuations of defaulted residential loans.
- Preserved excess capital levels well above the standards established by the federal banking agencies with ratios of Tier 1 Leverage of 9.32%, Tier 1 Risk-based Capital of 11.94% and Total Risk-based Capital of 13.26%. The Leverage, Tier 1 and Total Risk-based Capital Ratios exceeded the well-capitalized standards by $361.3 million, $387.9 million and $213.0 million, respectively.
The Company's financial results for the third quarter of 2012 are being released at the same time as our filing of the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Doral will be holding a conference call to discuss its financial results on Friday, November 9th, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. EST.
The call may be accessed through a dial-in telephone number at (800) 230-1093 or (612) 288-0340 for international callers.
A telephone replay of the conference call will be available through December 9th, 2012 at (800) 475-6701 or (320) 365-3844 for international callers. The replay access code is 270528.
- Net loss for the quarter ended September 30, 2012 totaled $32.5 million, compared to a net loss of $1.6 million for the second quarter of 2012 and a net loss of $30.2 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011.
- The Company reported net loss attributable to common shareholders of $35.0 million for the third quarter of 2012 compared to a net loss attributable to common shareholders of $4.0 million for the second quarter of 2012, and a net loss attributable to common shareholders of $32.6 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011.
- Net interest income for the third quarter of 2012 was $55.6 million, an increase of $1.5 million compared to the second quarter of 2012, and an increase of $7.4 million when compared to the third quarter of 2011. Net interest margin remained stable at 2.91% for both the second and third quarters of 2012.
- Provision for loan and lease losses for the third quarter of 2012 was $34.4 million, an increase of $29.2 million over the second quarter 2012 provision, and a decrease of $7.3 million from the provision recorded in the third quarter of 2011. The $34.4 million provision for loan and lease losses in the third quarter of 2012 resulted mainly from the residential mortgage portfolios ($28.8 million), and resulted from higher re-defaults of previously modified loans and new valuations of defaulted loans, all related to Puerto Rico loan exposures.
- Non-interest income for the third quarter of 2012 of $20.6 million reflects a decrease of $0.7 million, and a decrease of $8.9 million, compared to non-interest income of $21.3 million for the second quarter of 2012 and $29.5 million for the third quarter of 2011, respectively. The decrease in non-interest income when compared to the second quarter of 2012 results from the negative variances of $2.3 million and $2.6 million in mark-to-market adjustments on servicing assets and the loss on hedge derivatives, respectively, offset by the $4.8 million positive variance in gain on sale and securitization of loans.
- Non-interest expense for the third quarter of 2012 of $73.8 million increased $2.8 million and $10.0 million from the quarters ended June 30, 2012 and September 30, 2011, respectively. The expense increase in the third quarter of 2012 compared to the second quarter of 2012 was mainly driven by an increase in other real estate owned expenses of $2.2 million. Credit related expenses, including other real estate owned expenses (largely collateral value adjustments), foreclosure expenses, and certain loan and administrative costs, totaled $15.6 million in the third quarter of 2012, and $14.2 million in the second quarter of 2012.
- Doral's loan production for the third quarter of 2012 was $771.1 million, an increase of $247.7 million and $325.5 million, compared to $523.4 million and $445.6 million for the second quarter of 2012 and third quarter of 2011, respectively. The U.S. commercial loan production totaled $390.5 million or 50.6% of the loan production for the third quarter of 2012, and Puerto Rico residential mortgage loan production, most of which is sold, of $254.3 million in the third quarter of 2012 was up $44.9 million over the second quarter of 2012 production of $209.4 million.
- Doral reported total assets as of September 30, 2012 of $8.4 billion compared to $8.0 billion as of December 31, 2011. The increase of $395.4 million is mainly due to an increase in net loans of $326.3 million related to growth in the U.S. commercial loan portfolio.
- Total deposits were $4.6 billion as of September 30, 2012, an increase of $219.7 million, or 5.0%, from deposits of $4.4 billion as of December 31, 2011. The Company's brokered deposits decreased $76.7 million while retail deposits increased $296.4 million during the nine months ended September 30, 2012.
- Non-performing loans ("NPLs"), excluding FHA/VA loans guaranteed by the US government, as of September 30, 2012 were $753.4 million, an increase of $130.0 million from December 31, 2011. The increase in NPLs during the third quarter of 2012 resulted largely from the classification of certain residential mortgage TDR loans as NPLs.
- The Company's capital ratios continue to exceed the well-capitalized standards established by the federal banking agencies with ratios of Tier 1 Leverage of 9.32%, Tier 1 Risk-based Capital of 11.94% and Total Risk-based Capital of 13.26%. The Leverage, Tier 1 and Total Risk-based Capital Ratios exceeded the well-capitalized standards by $361.3 million, $387.9 million and $213.0 million, respectively.
This earnings release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of, and subject to the protection of, the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. In addition, Doral Financial Corporation may make forward-looking statements in its other press releases, filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") or in other public or shareholder communications and its senior management may make forward-looking statements orally to analysts, investors, the media and others.
These forward-looking statements may relate to the Company's financial condition, results of operations, plans, objectives, future performance and business, including, but not limited to, statements with respect to the adequacy of the allowance for loan and lease losses, delinquency trends, market risk and the impact of interest rate changes, capital markets conditions, capital adequacy and liquidity, and the effect of legal proceedings, tax legislation and tax rules, compliance and regulatory matters and new accounting standards and guidance on the Company's financial condition and results of operations. Forward-looking statements can be identified by the fact that they do not relate strictly to historical or current facts, but instead represent Doral Financial's current expectations regarding future events. Such forward-looking statements may be generally identified by the use of words or phrases such as "would be," "will allow," "intends to," "will likely result," "are expected to," "will continue," "is anticipated," "estimate," "project," "believe," "expect," "predict," "forecast," "anticipate," "plan," "outlook," "target," "goal," and similar expressions and future conditional verbs such as "would," "should," "could," "might," "can" or "may" or similar expressions.
Doral Financial cautions readers not to place undue reliance on any of these forward-looking statements since they speak only as of the date made and represent Doral Financial's expectations of future conditions or results and are not guarantees of future performance. The Company does not undertake and specifically disclaims any obligations to update any forward-looking statements to reflect occurrences or unanticipated events or circumstances after the date of those statements other than as required by law, including the requirements of applicable securities laws.
Forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to risks and uncertainties and changes in circumstances, many of which are beyond Doral Financial's control. Risk factors and uncertainties that could cause the Company's actual results to differ materially from those described in forward-looking statements can be found in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011 which is available in the Company's website at www.doralfinancial.com, as updated from time to time in the Company's periodic and other reports filed and to be filed with the SEC.
Doral Financial Corporation is a bank holding company engaged in banking, mortgage banking and insurance agency activities through its wholly-owned subsidiaries Doral Bank ("Doral Bank"), with operations in the mainland U.S. (New York metropolitan area and northwest region of Florida) and Puerto Rico, Doral Insurance Agency, Inc. ("Doral Insurance Agency"), and Doral Properties, Inc. ("Doral Properties"). Doral Bank in turn operates three wholly-owned subsidiaries: Doral Mortgage LLC ("Doral Mortgage"), engaged in residential mortgage lending in Puerto Rico, Doral Money, Inc. ("Doral Money"), engaged in commercial and middle market lending primarily in the New York metropolitan area, and CB, LLC, an entity formed to dispose of a real estate project of which Doral Bank took possession during 2005. Doral Money consolidates two variable interest entities created for the purpose of entering into a collateralized loan arrangement with a third party.
Doral Financial Corporation's common shares trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DRL. Additional information about Doral Financial Corporation may be found on the Company's website at www.doralfinancial.com.
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Chief Architect for the Internet of Things and Intelligent Systems at Red Hat, described how to revolutioniz...
Nov. 24, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,472
P2P RTC will impact the landscape of communications, shifting from traditional telephony style communications models to OTT (Over-The-Top) cloud assisted & PaaS (Platform as a Service) communication services. The P2P shift will impact many areas of our lives, from mobile communication, human interactive web services, RTC and telephony infrastructure, user federation, security and privacy implications, business costs, and scalability. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robin Raymond, Chief Architect at Hookflash, will walk through the shifting landscape of traditional telephone and voice services ...
Nov. 24, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 827
Bit6 today issued a challenge to the technology community implementing Web Real Time Communication (WebRTC). To leap beyond WebRTC’s significant limitations and fully leverage its underlying value to accelerate innovation, application developers need to consider the entire communications ecosystem.
Nov. 24, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,368
The definition of IoT is not new, in fact it’s been around for over a decade. What has changed is the public's awareness that the technology we use on a daily basis has caught up on the vision of an always on, always connected world. If you look into the details of what comprises the IoT, you’ll see that it includes everything from cloud computing, Big Data analytics, “Things,” Web communication, applications, network, storage, etc. It is essentially including everything connected online from hardware to software, or as we like to say, it’s an Internet of many different things. The difference ...
Nov. 24, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,479
Cloud Expo 2014 TV commercials will feature @ThingsExpo, which was launched in June, 2014 at New York City's Javits Center as the largest 'Internet of Things' event in the world.
Nov. 24, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,519
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, phone and digital TV services to consumers primarily in rural areas.
Nov. 23, 2014 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,729
"There is a natural synchronization between the business models, the IoT is there to support ,” explained Brendan O'Brien, Co-founder and Chief Architect of Aria Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 15th International Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 23, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,668
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com), moderated by Ashar Baig, Research Director, Cloud, at Gigaom Research, Nate Gordon, Director of T...
Nov. 23, 2014 07:45 AM EST Reads: 1,643
An entirely new security model is needed for the Internet of Things, or is it? Can we save some old and tested controls for this new and different environment? In his session at @ThingsExpo, New York's at the Javits Center, Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, reviewed hands-on lessons with IoT devices and reveal a new risk balance you might not expect. Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, has more than nineteen years' experience managing global security operations and assessments, including a decade of leading incident response and digital forensics. He is co-author of t...
Nov. 22, 2014 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,380
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's platform-as-a-service. The new platform enables developers to build ap...
Nov. 22, 2014 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,496
The security devil is always in the details of the attack: the ones you've endured, the ones you prepare yourself to fend off, and the ones that, you fear, will catch you completely unaware and defenseless. The Internet of Things (IoT) is nothing if not an endless proliferation of details. It's the vision of a world in which continuous Internet connectivity and addressability is embedded into a growing range of human artifacts, into the natural world, and even into our smartphones, appliances, and physical persons. In the IoT vision, every new "thing" - sensor, actuator, data source, data con...
Nov. 21, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,434
Technology is enabling a new approach to collecting and using data. This approach, commonly referred to as the "Internet of Things" (IoT), enables businesses to use real-time data from all sorts of things including machines, devices and sensors to make better decisions, improve customer service, and lower the risk in the creation of new revenue opportunities. In his General Session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Dave Wagstaff, Vice President and Chief Architect at BSQUARE Corporation, discuss the real benefits to focus on, how to understand the requirements of a successful solution, the flow of ...
Nov. 21, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,485
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 21, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,344
Focused on this fast-growing market’s needs, Vitesse Semiconductor Corporation (Nasdaq: VTSS), a leading provider of IC solutions to advance "Ethernet Everywhere" in Carrier, Enterprise and Internet of Things (IoT) networks, introduced its IStaX™ software (VSC6815SDK), a robust protocol stack to simplify deployment and management of Industrial-IoT network applications such as Industrial Ethernet switching, surveillance, video distribution, LCD signage, intelligent sensors, and metering equipment. Leveraging technologies proven in the Carrier and Enterprise markets, IStaX is designed to work ac...
Nov. 20, 2014 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,409
C-Labs LLC, a leading provider of remote and mobile access for the Internet of Things (IoT), announced the appointment of John Traynor to the position of chief operating officer. Previously a strategic advisor to the firm, Mr. Traynor will now oversee sales, marketing, finance, and operations. Mr. Traynor is based out of the C-Labs office in Redmond, Washington. He reports to Chris Muench, Chief Executive Officer. Mr. Traynor brings valuable business leadership and technology industry expertise to C-Labs. With over 30 years' experience in the high-tech sector, John Traynor has held numerous...
Nov. 20, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 1,364
The 3rd International @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades.
Nov. 20, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,617
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover how hardware commoditization, the ubiquitous nature of connectivity, and the emergence of Big Data a...
Nov. 20, 2014 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,816
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Nov. 18, 2014 09:00 PM EST Reads: 2,033
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada. Our partner network encompasses some 300 of the world's leading systems integrators and security s...
Nov. 18, 2014 08:15 PM EST Reads: 1,599
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what the future may hold. Mike Kavis is Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Pa...
Nov. 18, 2014 01:30 PM EST Reads: 2,025