|By Marketwired .||
|November 9, 2012 07:30 AM EST||
SAN JUAN, PR -- (Marketwire) -- 11/09/12 -- Doral Financial Corporation (NYSE: DRL) ("Doral", "Doral Financial" or the "Company"), the holding company of Doral Bank, with operations in Puerto Rico and the U.S., reported net loss of $32.5 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2012, compared to a net loss of $1.6 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2012 and a net loss of $30.2 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011. For the nine months ended September 30, 2012, Doral reported a net loss of $31.6 million compared to a net loss of $22.4 million for the same period of 2011.
"Our results reflect the high credit costs as we continue to work with thousands of homeowners during this difficult economic time. Despite this, we have increased revenue, strengthened our mortgage and retail franchise in Puerto Rico, continued to successfully grow our U.S. operations, and preserved our high levels of capital," said Glen Wakeman, CEO and President of Doral Financial Corporation.
Third Quarter Highlights:
- Increased net interest income $1.5 million to $55.6 million in the third quarter of 2012 from $54.1 million in the second quarter of 2012. Increased total net loans receivable by $103.8 million from the second quarter of 2012 to the third quarter of 2012 based on strong growth in the U.S. commercial portfolio.
- Grew Puerto Rico's mortgage loan production 21%, from $209.4 million in the second quarter of 2012 to $254.3 million in the third quarter of 2012.
- Grew retail deposits by $93.2 million from the second quarter of 2012 to the third quarter of 2012.
- Increased loan and lease loss provisions by $29.2 million to $34.4 million in the third quarter of 2012, compared to $5.2 million in the second quarter of 2012 as a result of re-defaults on previously modified loans and new valuations of defaulted residential loans.
- Preserved excess capital levels well above the standards established by the federal banking agencies with ratios of Tier 1 Leverage of 9.32%, Tier 1 Risk-based Capital of 11.94% and Total Risk-based Capital of 13.26%. The Leverage, Tier 1 and Total Risk-based Capital Ratios exceeded the well-capitalized standards by $361.3 million, $387.9 million and $213.0 million, respectively.
The Company's financial results for the third quarter of 2012 are being released at the same time as our filing of the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Doral will be holding a conference call to discuss its financial results on Friday, November 9th, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. EST.
The call may be accessed through a dial-in telephone number at (800) 230-1093 or (612) 288-0340 for international callers.
A telephone replay of the conference call will be available through December 9th, 2012 at (800) 475-6701 or (320) 365-3844 for international callers. The replay access code is 270528.
- Net loss for the quarter ended September 30, 2012 totaled $32.5 million, compared to a net loss of $1.6 million for the second quarter of 2012 and a net loss of $30.2 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011.
- The Company reported net loss attributable to common shareholders of $35.0 million for the third quarter of 2012 compared to a net loss attributable to common shareholders of $4.0 million for the second quarter of 2012, and a net loss attributable to common shareholders of $32.6 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011.
- Net interest income for the third quarter of 2012 was $55.6 million, an increase of $1.5 million compared to the second quarter of 2012, and an increase of $7.4 million when compared to the third quarter of 2011. Net interest margin remained stable at 2.91% for both the second and third quarters of 2012.
- Provision for loan and lease losses for the third quarter of 2012 was $34.4 million, an increase of $29.2 million over the second quarter 2012 provision, and a decrease of $7.3 million from the provision recorded in the third quarter of 2011. The $34.4 million provision for loan and lease losses in the third quarter of 2012 resulted mainly from the residential mortgage portfolios ($28.8 million), and resulted from higher re-defaults of previously modified loans and new valuations of defaulted loans, all related to Puerto Rico loan exposures.
- Non-interest income for the third quarter of 2012 of $20.6 million reflects a decrease of $0.7 million, and a decrease of $8.9 million, compared to non-interest income of $21.3 million for the second quarter of 2012 and $29.5 million for the third quarter of 2011, respectively. The decrease in non-interest income when compared to the second quarter of 2012 results from the negative variances of $2.3 million and $2.6 million in mark-to-market adjustments on servicing assets and the loss on hedge derivatives, respectively, offset by the $4.8 million positive variance in gain on sale and securitization of loans.
- Non-interest expense for the third quarter of 2012 of $73.8 million increased $2.8 million and $10.0 million from the quarters ended June 30, 2012 and September 30, 2011, respectively. The expense increase in the third quarter of 2012 compared to the second quarter of 2012 was mainly driven by an increase in other real estate owned expenses of $2.2 million. Credit related expenses, including other real estate owned expenses (largely collateral value adjustments), foreclosure expenses, and certain loan and administrative costs, totaled $15.6 million in the third quarter of 2012, and $14.2 million in the second quarter of 2012.
- Doral's loan production for the third quarter of 2012 was $771.1 million, an increase of $247.7 million and $325.5 million, compared to $523.4 million and $445.6 million for the second quarter of 2012 and third quarter of 2011, respectively. The U.S. commercial loan production totaled $390.5 million or 50.6% of the loan production for the third quarter of 2012, and Puerto Rico residential mortgage loan production, most of which is sold, of $254.3 million in the third quarter of 2012 was up $44.9 million over the second quarter of 2012 production of $209.4 million.
- Doral reported total assets as of September 30, 2012 of $8.4 billion compared to $8.0 billion as of December 31, 2011. The increase of $395.4 million is mainly due to an increase in net loans of $326.3 million related to growth in the U.S. commercial loan portfolio.
- Total deposits were $4.6 billion as of September 30, 2012, an increase of $219.7 million, or 5.0%, from deposits of $4.4 billion as of December 31, 2011. The Company's brokered deposits decreased $76.7 million while retail deposits increased $296.4 million during the nine months ended September 30, 2012.
- Non-performing loans ("NPLs"), excluding FHA/VA loans guaranteed by the US government, as of September 30, 2012 were $753.4 million, an increase of $130.0 million from December 31, 2011. The increase in NPLs during the third quarter of 2012 resulted largely from the classification of certain residential mortgage TDR loans as NPLs.
- The Company's capital ratios continue to exceed the well-capitalized standards established by the federal banking agencies with ratios of Tier 1 Leverage of 9.32%, Tier 1 Risk-based Capital of 11.94% and Total Risk-based Capital of 13.26%. The Leverage, Tier 1 and Total Risk-based Capital Ratios exceeded the well-capitalized standards by $361.3 million, $387.9 million and $213.0 million, respectively.
This earnings release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of, and subject to the protection of, the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. In addition, Doral Financial Corporation may make forward-looking statements in its other press releases, filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") or in other public or shareholder communications and its senior management may make forward-looking statements orally to analysts, investors, the media and others.
These forward-looking statements may relate to the Company's financial condition, results of operations, plans, objectives, future performance and business, including, but not limited to, statements with respect to the adequacy of the allowance for loan and lease losses, delinquency trends, market risk and the impact of interest rate changes, capital markets conditions, capital adequacy and liquidity, and the effect of legal proceedings, tax legislation and tax rules, compliance and regulatory matters and new accounting standards and guidance on the Company's financial condition and results of operations. Forward-looking statements can be identified by the fact that they do not relate strictly to historical or current facts, but instead represent Doral Financial's current expectations regarding future events. Such forward-looking statements may be generally identified by the use of words or phrases such as "would be," "will allow," "intends to," "will likely result," "are expected to," "will continue," "is anticipated," "estimate," "project," "believe," "expect," "predict," "forecast," "anticipate," "plan," "outlook," "target," "goal," and similar expressions and future conditional verbs such as "would," "should," "could," "might," "can" or "may" or similar expressions.
Doral Financial cautions readers not to place undue reliance on any of these forward-looking statements since they speak only as of the date made and represent Doral Financial's expectations of future conditions or results and are not guarantees of future performance. The Company does not undertake and specifically disclaims any obligations to update any forward-looking statements to reflect occurrences or unanticipated events or circumstances after the date of those statements other than as required by law, including the requirements of applicable securities laws.
Forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to risks and uncertainties and changes in circumstances, many of which are beyond Doral Financial's control. Risk factors and uncertainties that could cause the Company's actual results to differ materially from those described in forward-looking statements can be found in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011 which is available in the Company's website at www.doralfinancial.com, as updated from time to time in the Company's periodic and other reports filed and to be filed with the SEC.
Doral Financial Corporation is a bank holding company engaged in banking, mortgage banking and insurance agency activities through its wholly-owned subsidiaries Doral Bank ("Doral Bank"), with operations in the mainland U.S. (New York metropolitan area and northwest region of Florida) and Puerto Rico, Doral Insurance Agency, Inc. ("Doral Insurance Agency"), and Doral Properties, Inc. ("Doral Properties"). Doral Bank in turn operates three wholly-owned subsidiaries: Doral Mortgage LLC ("Doral Mortgage"), engaged in residential mortgage lending in Puerto Rico, Doral Money, Inc. ("Doral Money"), engaged in commercial and middle market lending primarily in the New York metropolitan area, and CB, LLC, an entity formed to dispose of a real estate project of which Doral Bank took possession during 2005. Doral Money consolidates two variable interest entities created for the purpose of entering into a collateralized loan arrangement with a third party.
Doral Financial Corporation's common shares trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DRL. Additional information about Doral Financial Corporation may be found on the Company's website at www.doralfinancial.com.
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Treloar, President and COO of Bebaio, will explore examples of brands transforming their businesses by t...
Aug. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 191
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevOps to advance innovation and increase agility. Specializing in designing, imple...
Aug. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 226
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Aug. 29, 2015 10:30 AM EDT
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Aug. 29, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 414
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Aug. 29, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 842
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of technology leadership, Micron's memory solutions enable the world's most innovative computing, consumer,...
Aug. 29, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 175
Through WebRTC, audio and video communications are being embedded more easily than ever into applications, helping carriers, enterprises and independent software vendors deliver greater functionality to their end users. With today’s business world increasingly focused on outcomes, users’ growing calls for ease of use, and businesses craving smarter, tighter integration, what’s the next step in delivering a richer, more immersive experience? That richer, more fully integrated experience comes about through a Communications Platform as a Service which allows for messaging, screen sharing, video...
Aug. 29, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 573
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Aug. 29, 2015 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 127
As more and more data is generated from a variety of connected devices, the need to get insights from this data and predict future behavior and trends is increasingly essential for businesses. Real-time stream processing is needed in a variety of different industries such as Manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Automobile, Finance, Online Retail, Smart Grids, and Healthcare. Azure Stream Analytics is a fully managed distributed stream computation service that provides low latency, scalable processing of streaming data in the cloud with an enterprise grade SLA. It features built-in integration with Azur...
Aug. 28, 2015 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 191
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Aug. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 318
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and analyzed? As an area of investment, how might a retail company move towards an innovation methodolo...
Aug. 28, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 409
A producer of the first smartphones and tablets, presenter Lee M. Williams will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, COO of ETwater, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater.
Aug. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Aug. 28, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 360
The Internet of Things (IoT) is about the digitization of physical assets including sensors, devices, machines, gateways, and the network. It creates possibilities for significant value creation and new revenue generating business models via data democratization and ubiquitous analytics across IoT networks. The explosion of data in all forms in IoT requires a more robust and broader lens in order to enable smarter timely actions and better outcomes. Business operations become the key driver of IoT applications and projects. Business operations, IT, and data scientists need advanced analytics t...
Aug. 28, 2015 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 358
Akana has announced the availability of the new Akana Healthcare Solution. The API-driven solution helps healthcare organizations accelerate their transition to being secure, digitally interoperable businesses. It leverages the Health Level Seven International Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (HL7 FHIR) standard to enable broader business use of medical data. Akana developed the Healthcare Solution in response to healthcare businesses that want to increase electronic, multi-device access to health records while reducing operating costs and complying with government regulations.
Aug. 26, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 115
For IoT to grow as quickly as analyst firms’ project, a lot is going to fall on developers to quickly bring applications to market. But the lack of a standard development platform threatens to slow growth and make application development more time consuming and costly, much like we’ve seen in the mobile space. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Weiner, Product Manager of the Omega DevCloud with KORE Telematics Inc., discussed the evolving requirements for developers as IoT matures and conducted a live demonstration of how quickly application development can happen when the need to comply wit...
Aug. 2, 2015 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 544
The Internet of Everything (IoE) brings together people, process, data and things to make networked connections more relevant and valuable than ever before – transforming information into knowledge and knowledge into wisdom. IoE creates new capabilities, richer experiences, and unprecedented opportunities to improve business and government operations, decision making and mission support capabilities.
Aug. 1, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 475
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Architect for the Internet of Things and Intelligent Systems, described how to revolutionize your archit...
Jul. 30, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,561
MuleSoft has announced the findings of its 2015 Connectivity Benchmark Report on the adoption and business impact of APIs. The findings suggest traditional businesses are quickly evolving into "composable enterprises" built out of hundreds of connected software services, applications and devices. Most are embracing the Internet of Things (IoT) and microservices technologies like Docker. A majority are integrating wearables, like smart watches, and more than half plan to generate revenue with APIs within the next year.
Jul. 30, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 274
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Opening Keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, Sandy Carter, IBM General Manager Cloud Ecosystem and Developers, and a Social Business Evangelist, d...
Jul. 30, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,220