|By Marketwired .||
|November 9, 2012 07:30 AM EST||
SAN JUAN, PR -- (Marketwire) -- 11/09/12 -- Doral Financial Corporation (NYSE: DRL) ("Doral", "Doral Financial" or the "Company"), the holding company of Doral Bank, with operations in Puerto Rico and the U.S., reported net loss of $32.5 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2012, compared to a net loss of $1.6 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2012 and a net loss of $30.2 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011. For the nine months ended September 30, 2012, Doral reported a net loss of $31.6 million compared to a net loss of $22.4 million for the same period of 2011.
"Our results reflect the high credit costs as we continue to work with thousands of homeowners during this difficult economic time. Despite this, we have increased revenue, strengthened our mortgage and retail franchise in Puerto Rico, continued to successfully grow our U.S. operations, and preserved our high levels of capital," said Glen Wakeman, CEO and President of Doral Financial Corporation.
Third Quarter Highlights:
- Increased net interest income $1.5 million to $55.6 million in the third quarter of 2012 from $54.1 million in the second quarter of 2012. Increased total net loans receivable by $103.8 million from the second quarter of 2012 to the third quarter of 2012 based on strong growth in the U.S. commercial portfolio.
- Grew Puerto Rico's mortgage loan production 21%, from $209.4 million in the second quarter of 2012 to $254.3 million in the third quarter of 2012.
- Grew retail deposits by $93.2 million from the second quarter of 2012 to the third quarter of 2012.
- Increased loan and lease loss provisions by $29.2 million to $34.4 million in the third quarter of 2012, compared to $5.2 million in the second quarter of 2012 as a result of re-defaults on previously modified loans and new valuations of defaulted residential loans.
- Preserved excess capital levels well above the standards established by the federal banking agencies with ratios of Tier 1 Leverage of 9.32%, Tier 1 Risk-based Capital of 11.94% and Total Risk-based Capital of 13.26%. The Leverage, Tier 1 and Total Risk-based Capital Ratios exceeded the well-capitalized standards by $361.3 million, $387.9 million and $213.0 million, respectively.
The Company's financial results for the third quarter of 2012 are being released at the same time as our filing of the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Doral will be holding a conference call to discuss its financial results on Friday, November 9th, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. EST.
The call may be accessed through a dial-in telephone number at (800) 230-1093 or (612) 288-0340 for international callers.
A telephone replay of the conference call will be available through December 9th, 2012 at (800) 475-6701 or (320) 365-3844 for international callers. The replay access code is 270528.
- Net loss for the quarter ended September 30, 2012 totaled $32.5 million, compared to a net loss of $1.6 million for the second quarter of 2012 and a net loss of $30.2 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011.
- The Company reported net loss attributable to common shareholders of $35.0 million for the third quarter of 2012 compared to a net loss attributable to common shareholders of $4.0 million for the second quarter of 2012, and a net loss attributable to common shareholders of $32.6 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011.
- Net interest income for the third quarter of 2012 was $55.6 million, an increase of $1.5 million compared to the second quarter of 2012, and an increase of $7.4 million when compared to the third quarter of 2011. Net interest margin remained stable at 2.91% for both the second and third quarters of 2012.
- Provision for loan and lease losses for the third quarter of 2012 was $34.4 million, an increase of $29.2 million over the second quarter 2012 provision, and a decrease of $7.3 million from the provision recorded in the third quarter of 2011. The $34.4 million provision for loan and lease losses in the third quarter of 2012 resulted mainly from the residential mortgage portfolios ($28.8 million), and resulted from higher re-defaults of previously modified loans and new valuations of defaulted loans, all related to Puerto Rico loan exposures.
- Non-interest income for the third quarter of 2012 of $20.6 million reflects a decrease of $0.7 million, and a decrease of $8.9 million, compared to non-interest income of $21.3 million for the second quarter of 2012 and $29.5 million for the third quarter of 2011, respectively. The decrease in non-interest income when compared to the second quarter of 2012 results from the negative variances of $2.3 million and $2.6 million in mark-to-market adjustments on servicing assets and the loss on hedge derivatives, respectively, offset by the $4.8 million positive variance in gain on sale and securitization of loans.
- Non-interest expense for the third quarter of 2012 of $73.8 million increased $2.8 million and $10.0 million from the quarters ended June 30, 2012 and September 30, 2011, respectively. The expense increase in the third quarter of 2012 compared to the second quarter of 2012 was mainly driven by an increase in other real estate owned expenses of $2.2 million. Credit related expenses, including other real estate owned expenses (largely collateral value adjustments), foreclosure expenses, and certain loan and administrative costs, totaled $15.6 million in the third quarter of 2012, and $14.2 million in the second quarter of 2012.
- Doral's loan production for the third quarter of 2012 was $771.1 million, an increase of $247.7 million and $325.5 million, compared to $523.4 million and $445.6 million for the second quarter of 2012 and third quarter of 2011, respectively. The U.S. commercial loan production totaled $390.5 million or 50.6% of the loan production for the third quarter of 2012, and Puerto Rico residential mortgage loan production, most of which is sold, of $254.3 million in the third quarter of 2012 was up $44.9 million over the second quarter of 2012 production of $209.4 million.
- Doral reported total assets as of September 30, 2012 of $8.4 billion compared to $8.0 billion as of December 31, 2011. The increase of $395.4 million is mainly due to an increase in net loans of $326.3 million related to growth in the U.S. commercial loan portfolio.
- Total deposits were $4.6 billion as of September 30, 2012, an increase of $219.7 million, or 5.0%, from deposits of $4.4 billion as of December 31, 2011. The Company's brokered deposits decreased $76.7 million while retail deposits increased $296.4 million during the nine months ended September 30, 2012.
- Non-performing loans ("NPLs"), excluding FHA/VA loans guaranteed by the US government, as of September 30, 2012 were $753.4 million, an increase of $130.0 million from December 31, 2011. The increase in NPLs during the third quarter of 2012 resulted largely from the classification of certain residential mortgage TDR loans as NPLs.
- The Company's capital ratios continue to exceed the well-capitalized standards established by the federal banking agencies with ratios of Tier 1 Leverage of 9.32%, Tier 1 Risk-based Capital of 11.94% and Total Risk-based Capital of 13.26%. The Leverage, Tier 1 and Total Risk-based Capital Ratios exceeded the well-capitalized standards by $361.3 million, $387.9 million and $213.0 million, respectively.
This earnings release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of, and subject to the protection of, the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. In addition, Doral Financial Corporation may make forward-looking statements in its other press releases, filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") or in other public or shareholder communications and its senior management may make forward-looking statements orally to analysts, investors, the media and others.
These forward-looking statements may relate to the Company's financial condition, results of operations, plans, objectives, future performance and business, including, but not limited to, statements with respect to the adequacy of the allowance for loan and lease losses, delinquency trends, market risk and the impact of interest rate changes, capital markets conditions, capital adequacy and liquidity, and the effect of legal proceedings, tax legislation and tax rules, compliance and regulatory matters and new accounting standards and guidance on the Company's financial condition and results of operations. Forward-looking statements can be identified by the fact that they do not relate strictly to historical or current facts, but instead represent Doral Financial's current expectations regarding future events. Such forward-looking statements may be generally identified by the use of words or phrases such as "would be," "will allow," "intends to," "will likely result," "are expected to," "will continue," "is anticipated," "estimate," "project," "believe," "expect," "predict," "forecast," "anticipate," "plan," "outlook," "target," "goal," and similar expressions and future conditional verbs such as "would," "should," "could," "might," "can" or "may" or similar expressions.
Doral Financial cautions readers not to place undue reliance on any of these forward-looking statements since they speak only as of the date made and represent Doral Financial's expectations of future conditions or results and are not guarantees of future performance. The Company does not undertake and specifically disclaims any obligations to update any forward-looking statements to reflect occurrences or unanticipated events or circumstances after the date of those statements other than as required by law, including the requirements of applicable securities laws.
Forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to risks and uncertainties and changes in circumstances, many of which are beyond Doral Financial's control. Risk factors and uncertainties that could cause the Company's actual results to differ materially from those described in forward-looking statements can be found in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011 which is available in the Company's website at www.doralfinancial.com, as updated from time to time in the Company's periodic and other reports filed and to be filed with the SEC.
Doral Financial Corporation is a bank holding company engaged in banking, mortgage banking and insurance agency activities through its wholly-owned subsidiaries Doral Bank ("Doral Bank"), with operations in the mainland U.S. (New York metropolitan area and northwest region of Florida) and Puerto Rico, Doral Insurance Agency, Inc. ("Doral Insurance Agency"), and Doral Properties, Inc. ("Doral Properties"). Doral Bank in turn operates three wholly-owned subsidiaries: Doral Mortgage LLC ("Doral Mortgage"), engaged in residential mortgage lending in Puerto Rico, Doral Money, Inc. ("Doral Money"), engaged in commercial and middle market lending primarily in the New York metropolitan area, and CB, LLC, an entity formed to dispose of a real estate project of which Doral Bank took possession during 2005. Doral Money consolidates two variable interest entities created for the purpose of entering into a collateralized loan arrangement with a third party.
Doral Financial Corporation's common shares trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DRL. Additional information about Doral Financial Corporation may be found on the Company's website at www.doralfinancial.com.
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 29, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,743
We all know the latest numbers: Gartner, Inc. forecasts that 6.4 billion connected things will be in use worldwide in 2016, up 30 percent from last year, and will reach 20.8 billion by 2020. We're rapidly approaching a data production of 40 zettabytes a day – more than we can every physically store, and exabytes and yottabytes are just around the corner. For many that’s a good sign, as data has been proven to equal money – IF it’s ingested, integrated, and analyzed fast enough. Without real-ti...
Jul. 29, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,168
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 29, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 921
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it ...
Jul. 29, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 381
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,246
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,081
ReadyTalk has expanded the capabilities of the FoxDen collaboration platform announced late last year to include FoxDen Connect, an in-room video collaboration experience that launches with a single touch. With FoxDen Connect, users can now not only engage in HD video conferencing between iOS and Android mobile devices or Chrome browsers, but also set up in-person meeting rooms for video interactions. A host’s mobile device automatically recognizes the presence of a meeting room via beacon tech...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 400
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet a...
Jul. 29, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 667
On Dice.com, the number of job postings asking for skill in Amazon Web Services increased 76 percent between June 2015 and June 2016. Salesforce.com saw its own skill mentions increase 37 percent, while DevOps and Cloud rose 35 percent and 28 percent, respectively. Even as they expand their presence in the cloud, companies are also looking for tech professionals who can manage projects, crunch data, and figure out how to make systems run more autonomously. Mentions of ‘data science’ as a skill ...
Jul. 29, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 459
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? You need to discover patterns that are repeatable in vast quantities of data, understand their meaning, and implement scalable monitoring across multiple data streams in order to monetize the discoveries and insights. Motif discovery and deep learning platforms are emerging to visualize sensor data, to search for patterns and to build application that can monitor real time streams efficiently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, ...
Jul. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,207
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 29, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,125
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Jul. 29, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 690
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 29, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,348
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 29, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,156
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Jul. 29, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,038
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 29, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,486
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 29, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,654
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 29, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,384
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,582
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,694