|By Marketwired .||
|November 9, 2012 07:30 AM EST||
SAN JUAN, PR -- (Marketwire) -- 11/09/12 -- Doral Financial Corporation (NYSE: DRL) ("Doral", "Doral Financial" or the "Company"), the holding company of Doral Bank, with operations in Puerto Rico and the U.S., reported net loss of $32.5 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2012, compared to a net loss of $1.6 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2012 and a net loss of $30.2 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011. For the nine months ended September 30, 2012, Doral reported a net loss of $31.6 million compared to a net loss of $22.4 million for the same period of 2011.
"Our results reflect the high credit costs as we continue to work with thousands of homeowners during this difficult economic time. Despite this, we have increased revenue, strengthened our mortgage and retail franchise in Puerto Rico, continued to successfully grow our U.S. operations, and preserved our high levels of capital," said Glen Wakeman, CEO and President of Doral Financial Corporation.
Third Quarter Highlights:
- Increased net interest income $1.5 million to $55.6 million in the third quarter of 2012 from $54.1 million in the second quarter of 2012. Increased total net loans receivable by $103.8 million from the second quarter of 2012 to the third quarter of 2012 based on strong growth in the U.S. commercial portfolio.
- Grew Puerto Rico's mortgage loan production 21%, from $209.4 million in the second quarter of 2012 to $254.3 million in the third quarter of 2012.
- Grew retail deposits by $93.2 million from the second quarter of 2012 to the third quarter of 2012.
- Increased loan and lease loss provisions by $29.2 million to $34.4 million in the third quarter of 2012, compared to $5.2 million in the second quarter of 2012 as a result of re-defaults on previously modified loans and new valuations of defaulted residential loans.
- Preserved excess capital levels well above the standards established by the federal banking agencies with ratios of Tier 1 Leverage of 9.32%, Tier 1 Risk-based Capital of 11.94% and Total Risk-based Capital of 13.26%. The Leverage, Tier 1 and Total Risk-based Capital Ratios exceeded the well-capitalized standards by $361.3 million, $387.9 million and $213.0 million, respectively.
The Company's financial results for the third quarter of 2012 are being released at the same time as our filing of the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Doral will be holding a conference call to discuss its financial results on Friday, November 9th, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. EST.
The call may be accessed through a dial-in telephone number at (800) 230-1093 or (612) 288-0340 for international callers.
A telephone replay of the conference call will be available through December 9th, 2012 at (800) 475-6701 or (320) 365-3844 for international callers. The replay access code is 270528.
- Net loss for the quarter ended September 30, 2012 totaled $32.5 million, compared to a net loss of $1.6 million for the second quarter of 2012 and a net loss of $30.2 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011.
- The Company reported net loss attributable to common shareholders of $35.0 million for the third quarter of 2012 compared to a net loss attributable to common shareholders of $4.0 million for the second quarter of 2012, and a net loss attributable to common shareholders of $32.6 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2011.
- Net interest income for the third quarter of 2012 was $55.6 million, an increase of $1.5 million compared to the second quarter of 2012, and an increase of $7.4 million when compared to the third quarter of 2011. Net interest margin remained stable at 2.91% for both the second and third quarters of 2012.
- Provision for loan and lease losses for the third quarter of 2012 was $34.4 million, an increase of $29.2 million over the second quarter 2012 provision, and a decrease of $7.3 million from the provision recorded in the third quarter of 2011. The $34.4 million provision for loan and lease losses in the third quarter of 2012 resulted mainly from the residential mortgage portfolios ($28.8 million), and resulted from higher re-defaults of previously modified loans and new valuations of defaulted loans, all related to Puerto Rico loan exposures.
- Non-interest income for the third quarter of 2012 of $20.6 million reflects a decrease of $0.7 million, and a decrease of $8.9 million, compared to non-interest income of $21.3 million for the second quarter of 2012 and $29.5 million for the third quarter of 2011, respectively. The decrease in non-interest income when compared to the second quarter of 2012 results from the negative variances of $2.3 million and $2.6 million in mark-to-market adjustments on servicing assets and the loss on hedge derivatives, respectively, offset by the $4.8 million positive variance in gain on sale and securitization of loans.
- Non-interest expense for the third quarter of 2012 of $73.8 million increased $2.8 million and $10.0 million from the quarters ended June 30, 2012 and September 30, 2011, respectively. The expense increase in the third quarter of 2012 compared to the second quarter of 2012 was mainly driven by an increase in other real estate owned expenses of $2.2 million. Credit related expenses, including other real estate owned expenses (largely collateral value adjustments), foreclosure expenses, and certain loan and administrative costs, totaled $15.6 million in the third quarter of 2012, and $14.2 million in the second quarter of 2012.
- Doral's loan production for the third quarter of 2012 was $771.1 million, an increase of $247.7 million and $325.5 million, compared to $523.4 million and $445.6 million for the second quarter of 2012 and third quarter of 2011, respectively. The U.S. commercial loan production totaled $390.5 million or 50.6% of the loan production for the third quarter of 2012, and Puerto Rico residential mortgage loan production, most of which is sold, of $254.3 million in the third quarter of 2012 was up $44.9 million over the second quarter of 2012 production of $209.4 million.
- Doral reported total assets as of September 30, 2012 of $8.4 billion compared to $8.0 billion as of December 31, 2011. The increase of $395.4 million is mainly due to an increase in net loans of $326.3 million related to growth in the U.S. commercial loan portfolio.
- Total deposits were $4.6 billion as of September 30, 2012, an increase of $219.7 million, or 5.0%, from deposits of $4.4 billion as of December 31, 2011. The Company's brokered deposits decreased $76.7 million while retail deposits increased $296.4 million during the nine months ended September 30, 2012.
- Non-performing loans ("NPLs"), excluding FHA/VA loans guaranteed by the US government, as of September 30, 2012 were $753.4 million, an increase of $130.0 million from December 31, 2011. The increase in NPLs during the third quarter of 2012 resulted largely from the classification of certain residential mortgage TDR loans as NPLs.
- The Company's capital ratios continue to exceed the well-capitalized standards established by the federal banking agencies with ratios of Tier 1 Leverage of 9.32%, Tier 1 Risk-based Capital of 11.94% and Total Risk-based Capital of 13.26%. The Leverage, Tier 1 and Total Risk-based Capital Ratios exceeded the well-capitalized standards by $361.3 million, $387.9 million and $213.0 million, respectively.
This earnings release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of, and subject to the protection of, the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. In addition, Doral Financial Corporation may make forward-looking statements in its other press releases, filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") or in other public or shareholder communications and its senior management may make forward-looking statements orally to analysts, investors, the media and others.
These forward-looking statements may relate to the Company's financial condition, results of operations, plans, objectives, future performance and business, including, but not limited to, statements with respect to the adequacy of the allowance for loan and lease losses, delinquency trends, market risk and the impact of interest rate changes, capital markets conditions, capital adequacy and liquidity, and the effect of legal proceedings, tax legislation and tax rules, compliance and regulatory matters and new accounting standards and guidance on the Company's financial condition and results of operations. Forward-looking statements can be identified by the fact that they do not relate strictly to historical or current facts, but instead represent Doral Financial's current expectations regarding future events. Such forward-looking statements may be generally identified by the use of words or phrases such as "would be," "will allow," "intends to," "will likely result," "are expected to," "will continue," "is anticipated," "estimate," "project," "believe," "expect," "predict," "forecast," "anticipate," "plan," "outlook," "target," "goal," and similar expressions and future conditional verbs such as "would," "should," "could," "might," "can" or "may" or similar expressions.
Doral Financial cautions readers not to place undue reliance on any of these forward-looking statements since they speak only as of the date made and represent Doral Financial's expectations of future conditions or results and are not guarantees of future performance. The Company does not undertake and specifically disclaims any obligations to update any forward-looking statements to reflect occurrences or unanticipated events or circumstances after the date of those statements other than as required by law, including the requirements of applicable securities laws.
Forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to risks and uncertainties and changes in circumstances, many of which are beyond Doral Financial's control. Risk factors and uncertainties that could cause the Company's actual results to differ materially from those described in forward-looking statements can be found in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011 which is available in the Company's website at www.doralfinancial.com, as updated from time to time in the Company's periodic and other reports filed and to be filed with the SEC.
Doral Financial Corporation is a bank holding company engaged in banking, mortgage banking and insurance agency activities through its wholly-owned subsidiaries Doral Bank ("Doral Bank"), with operations in the mainland U.S. (New York metropolitan area and northwest region of Florida) and Puerto Rico, Doral Insurance Agency, Inc. ("Doral Insurance Agency"), and Doral Properties, Inc. ("Doral Properties"). Doral Bank in turn operates three wholly-owned subsidiaries: Doral Mortgage LLC ("Doral Mortgage"), engaged in residential mortgage lending in Puerto Rico, Doral Money, Inc. ("Doral Money"), engaged in commercial and middle market lending primarily in the New York metropolitan area, and CB, LLC, an entity formed to dispose of a real estate project of which Doral Bank took possession during 2005. Doral Money consolidates two variable interest entities created for the purpose of entering into a collateralized loan arrangement with a third party.
Doral Financial Corporation's common shares trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DRL. Additional information about Doral Financial Corporation may be found on the Company's website at www.doralfinancial.com.
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Sep. 25, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,381
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,677
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,201
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Sep. 25, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,927
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 25, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,030
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,604
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,320
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 24, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,443
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 24, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,651
SYS-CON Events announced today the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp, being held November 1-2, 2016, in conjunction with 19th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but with hands-on demos and detailed walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of real world use cases prototyped using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark, and Intel Edison. Y...
Sep. 24, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,792
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 24, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,483
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 24, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,512
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 24, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,677
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,487
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 769
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Sep. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 775
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 24, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,042
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Sep. 24, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,724
IoT is fundamentally transforming the auto industry, turning the vehicle into a hub for connected services, including safety, infotainment and usage-based insurance. Auto manufacturers – and businesses across all verticals – have built an entire ecosystem around the Connected Car, creating new customer touch points and revenue streams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Macario Namie, Head of IoT Strategy at Cisco Jasper, will share real-world examples of how IoT transforms the car from a static p...
Sep. 24, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,479
Big Data has been changing the world. IoT fuels the further transformation recently. How are Big Data and IoT related? In his session at @BigDataExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will explore the interplay of Big Data and IoT. He will anatomize Big Data and IoT separately in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. He will then analyze the relationship between IoT and Big Data, specifically the drilldown of how the 4Vs of Big Data (Volume, Variety,...
Sep. 24, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 917