|By Keith Mayer||
|August 29, 2012 07:00 AM EDT||
In my Private Cloud talks with IT Pros, how best to virtualize Microsoft Exchange workloads, regardless of underlying hypervisor, has been a recurring hot topic area of discussion. At Microsoft Tech Ed 2012, Jeff Mealiffe, Senior Program Manager on the Exchange team and responsible for Exchange virtualization guidance, delivered a great session on "Best Practices for Virtualizing Microsoft Exchange Server 2010". This is a great resource to study when planning virtualized Exchange deployments! Below, I've included the following items to help you get started with virtualizing Exchange:
- The recorded session video
- A link to the downloadable slide deck
- An indexed recap of my session notes
- Links to additional tools and resources that I've personally found helpful
I'm definitely looking forward to building my next virtualized deployment of Exchange 2010 on Windows Server 2012 RTM when it releases on Sept 4th! The increased VM resource densities in Hyper-V v3 of up to 64 virtual processors and 1TB RAM per virtual machine will be a big boost to virtualizing mission critical heavy-duty workloads like Exchange mailbox server roles and multi-role servers.
Download a copy of the session slide deck.
Session Notes with Video Index
- Supported Exchange Virtualization Scenarios [ 4:00 ]
- Exchange 2010 SP1 or later
- Hyper-V or any hypervisor in the Server Virtualization Validation Program (SVVP) - link provided below.
- Items Not Supported when Virtualizing Exchange [ 7:00 ]
- Hypervisor snapshots
- Differencing / Delta disks
- CPU oversubscription in a ratio > 2:1
- Applications running on the parent / root partition
- VSS backups of VMs from root
- NAS storage of virtual disk files
- JetStress Support in Virtualized Environments [ 12:10 ]
- Supported in VMs on Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 or later
- Supported in VMs on Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 or later
- Supported in VMs on VMware ESX 4.1 or later
- More Info - http://bit.ly/HP8G0f
- Big Problems to Avoid for Production Exchange VMs [ 17:53 ]
- Dynamic Memory / Memory Overcommit [ 18:00 ]
- VM Snapshots [ 31:57 ]
- CPU Oversubscription [ 35:05 ]
- Overview of Best Practices [ 38:05 ]
- Hypervisor adds CPU overhead - 10-12% in our Exchange 2010 tests [ 39:22 ]
- Size for physical and provide those resources to each VM [ 40:31 ]
- Exchange is architected for scale-out scenarios, avoid "all eggs in one basket" [ 40:48 ]
- Resource Sizing [ 43:16 ]
- Start with physical sizing process - use calculator (listed below)
- Account for virtualization overhead (10-12%)
- Determine VM placement to account for HA
- Size root servers, storage and network infrastructure
- Guest VM sizing [ 47:18 ]
- Size Mailbox role first - other role sizes factored from Mailbox server requirements
- Considerations for use of Multi-role servers - Mailbox, Hub and CAS roles on single VM
- Unified Messaging Sizing [ 49:08 ]
- Min 4 Virtual Processors (VP)
- VM with 4VP & 16GB memory can handle 40 concurrent calls with Voice Mail Preview (65 calls without)
- Storage Decisions [ 52:47 ]
- Exchange storage separate from Guest OS virtual disk physical storage
- Must be fixed virtual disk, SCSI pass-through (RDM) or iSCSI (terminated at host or guest)
- SCSI pass-through (RDM) recommended to host queues, DBs and logfile streams unless using Hyper-V Live Migration where CSV is recommended
- Must be block-level storage - NAS volumes not supported
- Virtual Processors [ 56:04 ]
- Prefer smaller number of multi-core VMs vs many single-core VMs
- Don't assume that a hyperthreaded (SMT) CPU is a full CPU core
- Private Cloud [ 57:08 ]
- Good model for providing virtual infrastructure resources to Exchange, but be careful with "dynamic" cloud capabilities
- Be prepared to apply different resource management policies to Exchange VMs
- Host-based Failover Clustering [ 59:41 ]
- Not an "Exchange Aware" HA Solution - Does not provide HA in the event of storage failure / data corruption
- If using, combine with DAG when possible to provide maximum HA - Admin can re-balance DAG after failover to redistribute
- VM Live Migration and Exchange [ 01:04:50 ]
- DAG does not need to be dynamically re-balanced
- Use CSV rather than pass-through LUNS for all Mailbox VM storage
- Consider relaxing cluster heartbeat timeouts (5 seconds = default, 30 seconds = max recommended)
- Size network appropriately for Live Migration
- VM Placement [ 01:08:26 ]
- Don't co-locate DAG database copies on same physical hosts
- Distribute VMs running same roles to different physical hosts
- If not using multi-role VM's, consider isolating mailbox and hub role VMs on separate physical hosts if possible
Additional Tools and Resources
- Exchange virtualization supportability guidance - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj126252.aspx
- Understanding Exchange Performance - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351192
- Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server Role Requirements Calculator - http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/01/22/updates-to-the-exchange-2010-mailbox-server-role-requirements-calculator.aspx
- Exchange JetStress and Load Generator Tools - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335108
- Server Virtualization Validation Program - http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp/
- Exchange 2010 Tested OEM Solutions (on Hyper-V)
- HP Configurations
- DELL Configurations
- Unisys Configurations
- Unisys ES7000 Servers for 15,000 users: http://bit.ly/kOBSuo
- EMC Configurations
- EMC Unified Storage and Cisco Unified Computing System for 32,000 users - http://bit.ly/9DBfoB
|Build Your Lab! Download Windows Server 2012|
|Don’t Have a Lab? Build Your Lab in the Cloud with Windows Azure Virtual Machines|
|Want to Get Certified? Join our Windows Server 2012 "Early Experts" Study Group|
|Do IT Pros ROCK? Please VOTE for us!|
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jun. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,033
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 278
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Jun. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,275
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Jun. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,520
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 676
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 24, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 553
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change t...
Jun. 24, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 908
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 24, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 819
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Jun. 24, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,128
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Jun. 24, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,086
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 24, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 555
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,176
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,085
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 744
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Jun. 24, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,161
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,381
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 24, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 936
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jun. 24, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,133
industrial company for a multi-year contract initially valued at over $4.0 million. In addition to DataV software, Bsquare will also provide comprehensive systems integration, support and maintenance services. DataV leverages advanced data analytics, predictive reasoning, data-driven diagnostics, and automated orchestration of remediation actions in order to improve asset uptime while reducing service and warranty costs.
Jun. 22, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,324
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Jun. 19, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,214